Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
section 8?
yea damn sect 8 is ruining all the good neighborhoods

Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
This thread is really uncalled for imo. These types of threads only lead to arguing and constant bickering (if you haven't noticed that in this thread already, look at another similar thread such as the "official NYC crime threads" in the New York forum as another example). This thread has no purpose because, unfortunately, crime is a factor in every major city in America. The news, internet articles, word of mouth, etc are outlets that can inform the public about crime issues. This thread can scare off any potential residents and urban renewers that can continue to change things and make this city better. This forum functioned fine without this thread before this horrible January (which I guess lead to this thread's creation). Seeing this thread can give the impression that "this city is so bad that it has its own official crime thread". You don't really see other cities with "official crime threads" even if they might have a worse crime rate (cough DC). I can't believe the mods allow this thread.
While I agree with parts of your rant, CD wouldn't feel very open if the mods started clamping down on threads too stringently. Consolidating crime-releated posts into a single thread was a good move, however. Options we have are then to simply bypass this thread or even place individual posters on your "Ignore" list so you no longer even see their nonsense. Trust me - it works!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
there were actually white and black.. Neck tattoos and pants below their butts. Getting the picture yet? I'm sure they were not successful family men..
Fair enough. The choice in body art and clothing style would seem to narrow their employment options. But without any anecdotes or news of crime, it appears the only thing that may have increased in Mayfair is the number of Power 99/Wired 96.5 fans.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:43 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
What about Gradho, NoLibs, and Point Breeze? Some of the parts of Kensington and Strawberry Mansion around Temple that I've seen people moving into hit rock bottom decades ago. When things hit rock bottom they tend not to stay that way forever. All those neighborhoods are in transition now. I wouldn't base their futures on their current state or their recent pasts.
Point Breeze is "fighting back" against progress in a quickly deteriorating zoning battle. NoLibs had a rough period, but was never saturated with street crime like other neighborhoods. The part of Kensington that is turning around is adjacent to Fishtown and isn't the truly worst part (the triangle formed by Kensington, Tioga and Front streets). Strawberry Mansion? LOL uhhhh no.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
don't know about this. We drove thru Mayfair last weekend and we saw nothing but ghetto rats walking around yapping on the cells and doing their 'ghetto rat' hellos with the shoulder bumping/weird handshake to other ghetto rats.. It was sad to see Not the mayfair I am used to seeing.. My wife and I both looked at each other and said wth is happening to mayfair??.
Mayfair was never Beverly Hills, TBH, so there have always been "characters". While there has certainly been changes, it's still a working class nabe. It's not gone totally welfare class like Wiss or parts of Holmesburg.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 PM

99 posts, read 154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Mayfair was never Beverly Hills, TBH, so there have always been "characters". While there has certainly been changes, it's still a working class nabe. It's not gone totally welfare class like Wiss or parts of Holmesburg.
Mayfair has seen a steady increase in street crime in the past ten years. You never heard of gunpoint robberies fifteen, twenty years ago.
Although, I still feel safe there late at night, unlike Tacony and Wissinoming.

Last edited by The Burger; 02-17-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
NoLibs had a rough period, but was never saturated with street crime like other neighborhoods. The part of Kensington that is turning around is adjacent to Fishtown and isn't the truly worst part (the triangle formed by Kensington, Tioga and Front streets).
FINALLY - somebody who knows. NL was never a stone ghetto (nor was Fishtown) as some of the "new" people like to believe.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Fair enough. The choice in body art and clothing style would seem to narrow their employment options. But without any anecdotes or news of crime, it appears the only thing that may have increased in Mayfair is the number of Power 99/Wired 96.5 fans.
There's definitely been an increase in crime and quality of life issues in Mayfair ... not to mention a culture clash. And the majority of the problems are being brought with the new residents, directly from the ghetto.

Last edited by The Burger; 02-17-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbarian View Post
Ugh, this is up there with the Chinese man who was killed in his restaurant. The fact that this ******* had no remorse makes it even worse.

Neighbors: Suspect in poop shooting an emotional land mine
With a name like "Tyrirk," it was only a matter of time before he wound up in prison. j/k

Old 02-17-2012, 04:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
Point Breeze is "fighting back" against progress in a quickly deteriorating zoning battle. NoLibs had a rough period, but was never saturated with street crime like other neighborhoods. The part of Kensington that is turning around is adjacent to Fishtown and isn't the truly worst part (the triangle formed by Kensington, Tioga and Front streets). Strawberry Mansion? LOL uhhhh no.
What else do you call the area around Temple? Whenever a neighborhood gets better instead of worse there's always some rationalization "oh it was never that bad there, oh its next to such and such neighborhood so its not that bad really". The sky is falling when crime goes up in one area, and when another area starts coming back you make excuses for why its not really that big a deal and how the sky is still falling regardless. C'mon man. Would you prefer people didn't want to move into Fishtown or adjacent parts of Kensington? Because you know, if that fits more with your whole "Philadelphia is going to hell" world-view than I and many others like me can leave so you'll feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia