Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times

Advertisements

Most of the NE is still in good shape... I believe only the lower northeast will decline to some extent. The Far Northeast will remain in good shape. The Northwest will also remain in good shape. In my opinion the most gentrification happening right now is in South Philadelphia and the Lower North Philadelphia. West Philadelphia is seeing gentrification as well but at a much slower pace. In my opinion, most of the crime will remain in the Upper North, Olney, Fern Rock sections and the Lower Northeast and Southwest Philadelphia as well. West Philadelphia may still have some rough parts for a couple of decades but eventually will be completely gentrified.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Most of the NE is still in good shape... I believe only the lower northeast will decline to some extent. The Far Northeast will remain in good shape. The Northwest will also remain in good shape. In my opinion the most gentrification happening right now is in South Philadelphia and the Lower North Philadelphia. West Philadelphia is seeing gentrification as well but at a much slower pace. In my opinion, most of the crime will remain in the Upper North, Olney, Fern Rock sections and the Lower Northeast and Southwest Philadelphia as well. West Philadelphia may still have some rough parts for a couple of decades but eventually will be completely gentrified.
The far NE is OVERRUN by Russians. In fact we went to a large diagnostic center last year and ALL the signs in this large complex was in Russian , the tv shows was Russian, the staff all spoke Russian.. English was a second language. We were the ONLY Americans there. Sad.. The NE is dying slowly..

Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The far NE is OVERRUN by Russians. In fact we went to a large diagnostic center last year and ALL the signs in this large complex was in Russian , the tv shows was Russian, the staff all spoke Russian.. English was a second language. We were the ONLY Americans there. Sad.. The NE is dying slowly..
Do you feel that the Russians are responsible for some of the uptick in crime in the NE? If so, then I can understand your concern. If not, then it is more a matter of cultural transition which, while important, is a topic for another thread.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,124 times
Quote:
Of all the problems facing the NE the Russians aren't one of them.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 PM

133 posts, read 276,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
How long will the gentrifrication take?
At this point, I do not think gentrification is needed in the Northeast. In my opinion, this only really needs to happen when a neighborhood has bottomed-out. Right now, most parts of the NE are relatively fine, with the exception of Frankford, Oxford Circle, Summerdale, and possibly one or two other areas. I doubt these areas will see any yuppies anytime soon because it seems the trend is favorable to urban living. The problem is that the NE is to0 far from Center City and not surbaban enough to appeal to those who like big houses and yards.

I think that residents of the NE and specifically the lower NE (like me) just need to band together to stop the ghetto from creeping up any further. That is the real hope for the NE. Unfortunately, the gentrification of areas closer to Center City could have an adverse affect on the NE. The people who made those areas crime-ridden aren't just disappearing.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom605 View Post

I think that residents of the NE and specifically the lower NE (like me) just need to band together to stop the ghetto from creeping up any further. That is the real hope for the NE. Unfortunately, the gentrification of areas closer to Center City could have an adverse affect on the NE. The people who made those areas crime-ridden aren't just disappearing.
They are nice thought but how exactly do you intend to stop the "ghetto creep"? Its impossible.. You can't keep the ghetto rats out legally.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
Quote:
They are nice thought but how exactly do you intend to stop the "ghetto creep"? Its impossible.. You can't keep the ghetto rats out legally.
That's too bad. Maybe the lower Northeast neighborhoods like Frankford, Wissinoming and Tacony should have an advocate like Darrell Clarke. He doesn't want Temple students renting in the Yorktown section of North Philly.

Yet nothing can be done about Section 8 tenants, a majority of whom increase the more serious crimes, moving in.

I previously lived in Wissinoming and had to move because the street was becoming flooded with low life subsidized renters.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM

469 posts, read 925,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
That's too bad. Maybe the lower Northeast neighborhoods like Frankford, Wissinoming and Tacony should have an advocate like Darrell Clarke. He doesn't want Temple students renting in the Yorktown section of North Philly.

Yet nothing can be done about Section 8 tenants, a majority of whom increase the more serious crimes, moving in.

I previously lived in Wissinoming and had to move because the street was becoming flooded with low life subsidized renters.
I try to be fair and open minded.That being said, I have to admit. Section 8 is a neighborhood killer.I lived in a neighborhood that went down because of section 8.I use to own a rental property and because I cared about the block,never rented to section 8.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom605 View Post
At this point, I do not think gentrification is needed in the Northeast. In my opinion, this only really needs to happen when a neighborhood has bottomed-out. Right now, most parts of the NE are relatively fine, with the exception of Frankford, Oxford Circle, Summerdale, and possibly one or two other areas. I doubt these areas will see any yuppies anytime soon because it seems the trend is favorable to urban living. The problem is that the NE is to0 far from Center City and not surbaban enough to appeal to those who like big houses and yards.

As a resident of the lower northeast in particular the Frankford neighborhood, I can say the neighborhood has definitely seen better days. So has the oxford circle/summerdale/castor gardens area. But most of the lower northeast is relatively stable and I notice the lower northeast gets a lot better once you pass magee ave

Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
As a resident of the lower northeast in particular the Frankford neighborhood, I can say the neighborhood has definitely seen better days. So has the oxford circle/summerdale/castor gardens area. But most of the lower northeast is relatively stable and I notice the lower northeast gets a lot better once you pass magee ave
over the last 5 years I personally know of 5 families or hard working, tax paying, law abiding citizens (including myself) who have bailed on this area and all moved to the burbs. Two in Jersey, one Jenkintown, one in Huntington valley and one in Rydal. And as long as the 'creep' is happening, the more this will happen, making the NE an extension of North Philly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia