Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
expect what? The truth? You said that you are safe if you stay out of the ghetto. You are wrong. I only report the truth.. Don;t get mad at me. Get mad at the people who do these inhuman things to others..
And your tireless rants never get old. You think people don't already read about what goes on in Philadelphia? Why do we need people in our region to reiterate what we already know? What are you doing to keep these people off the streets?You're a typical suburbanite, tucked away in the backwoods of Jersey secretly glad you don't live in the city. Its people like you this region will never work as one. Go away.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,124 times
Quote:
exactly. There are many many bars that all let out at the same time with tanked up people.. The cops shoudl be on foot EVERYWHERE in Olde city on weekends
agreed

Old 01-17-2012, 10:57 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
what other details? I report the truth.. You made a statement and I proved you VERY wrong.. 2/3 of the families own a car. Ill bet LESS then that own a gun. Whats your point?
I think you have confused me with one of the other countless people who you annoy and cause trouble with on a daily basis. I never said you had a better chance of getting killed in a car accident than being murdered. That was someone else. So no you never proved me VERY wrong.

All I said was that in your initial post you said you are 4 times more likely to be murdered than you are to die in a car crash, and I called you out for being off base with that assertion because you failed to take into account countless variables.

One of the primary variables being the fact that only 2/3 of the cities population drives making a one to one comparison totally illogical. You'll bet less than that own a gun? What are you talking about? So would I... what does that have to do with ANYTHING? Does someone need to own a gun to be shot with one? Everyone in the city has the hypothetical potential to become a murder statistic.

The other details included the fact that such a large majority of the homicides in the city take place in such a small area of the city and that the people killed in homicides are overwhelming involved in illicit behavior.

I also pointed out that a lot of the people who die in car crashes are also involved in dumb behavior... not drug dealing, but texting while driving or driving impaired, etc.

My overall point was that regardless of the total tallies for homicides and auto deaths, these rates don't really apply at nearly that rate to people who drive safely and stay out bad neighborhoods. It's hard to say which one is more likely but if you are smart you shouldn't be afraid to drive and you shouldn't be afraid to live in the city.

Your response to my post pointing this out?

Quote:
good points very true in both accounts..

But now today you question the same point and claimed to have proven me wrong... do you even think before you post or do you just vomit anti Philadelphia rhetoric without any filter?

Quote:
expect what? The truth? You said that you are safe if you stay out of the ghetto. You are wrong. I only report the truth.. Don;t get mad at me. Get mad at the people who do these inhuman things to others..
It's the truth that someone was murdered in old city. It's not the truth that this incident proves in some way that old city is not safe. This is not a typical philadelphia crime, it's in no way indicative of a greater trend and people who visit old city in the future should worry about a group of people hopping out of a car and beating them to death in front of a historical building. It's an insane tragedy. Indicative of nothing but the random and awful nature of violence within the human race, a nature which can rise its head just about anywhere, including a sleepy bed room community in south jersey with a low crime rate.

The sickest part though frank is that I KNOW that YOU KNOW this. I know that you know that this isn't a common crime in Philadelphia. It's a story basically unlike most have ever heard in the area... and as someone who has lived their life in the area, I know you are aware of this.

So no it's not disgusting that you told the truth. It's disgusting that upon hearing of a horrible tragedy that ended the life of another human being, you couldn't wait to hop on city data and gloat about how this proves your point that the entire city isn't safe.

Well it doesn't prove that. Far from it. All it proves is that you are a sad, sad man.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:04 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
exactly. There are many many bars that all let out at the same time with tanked up people.. The cops shoudl be on foot EVERYWHERE in Olde city on weekends
agree with you here. It really says something that the VERY limited in numbers night shift park rangers responded before Philly cops.

Just absurd.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,874 times
Default Philadelphia does not have the highest crime rate in the country nor the highest murder rate

Not even close to it. It's one thing to blast that all over the news and papers both locally and nationally if it's actually true but when people who aren't even from the area yet somehow write for our papers are doing it when it's not even true, it's really ridiculous.

Honestly, this "journalism" by people who are outsiders and try to make themselves out to be "so Philly" by furthering every single BS stereotype about the area and passing it off as representing us or being true or accurate disgusts me. It used to be harmless but it clearly isn't anymore.

Philadelphia had the highest murder RATE of the 10 largest cities in the US. Not the highest total, and not even the highest rate of the US or anywhere close to it. Philadelphia had a higher rate than cities that have never lost population (except for Chicago) or gone through what Philadelphia has and where only two of them are actually East Coast urban types of cities (even though Chicago's in the Mid-West). It's not exactly difficult to have a higher murder rate than sprawled out West Coast and SunBelt cities that just keep annexing land and filling it with monied people or that have a ridiculous amount of square miles and very few "city" to show for it. As for New York and Chicago? Well when you have so many more people and cities that went through all of this and regularly led the nation in murder rates or just about did for years and just within the past 20 years finally fixed all of that, of course they will have a lower murder rate than a city with millions of people less and which is going through major transitions and still has lots of problems.

Seriously, to try to act like the city is some giant abyss when it had a grand total of 324 murders (which is a BS number because that number included homicides by police and a number of ABORTIONS that didn't even happen in 2011!) is an absolute insult to all of the people who dealt with the mid 2000s when Mayor Street declared a State of Emergency at one point or with the days of the crack epidemic or any of those actually dark times, and to all of the people who have made so many parts of the city so much better than they were back then.

If I hear one more idiot who isn't even from Philly say the word "Killadelphia" I will slap him or her in the face. You sound like an idiot, and you by no means earned the right to use that nickname.

I felt this needed to be said because though it was mentioned repeatedly by people like rotodome and others in the specific thread started about the subject, I feel we need one to stay at the top of the Philadelphia forum with a title that is actually accurate considering that I saw somebody who was thinking of moving to the city bring it up in a thread as if it were actually true.

God bless.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,874 times
So the kid got jumped or what happened exactly?

I don't like that "news" sources never seem to divulge the most important information. If this kid got jumped and did nothing to provoke the beating whatsoever then it is indeed a tragedy and I will second and third and fourth and fifth the "Hopefully somebody catches these animals" sentiment.

If that wasn't the case though, then pardon me for being insensitive but you should know who you can and can't get away with getting big towards or even arguing with or "disrespecting". Without a doubt there are punks who do this kind of crap out of nowhere or start harassing somebody and then won't even let that person walk away, but there's also a lot of people who say something back or do something to the wrong person and end up paying for it in some way.

Either way, it's a shame that something like this happened.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
I was not there and can only relay what I have heard but apparently the kid was with 2 girls and the creeps in the car propositioned them.. He defendted their honor and said something back and they got out and took his life over something as stupid as that. The kid should have has a ccw and been packing.. the story may have turned out different and his parents would no be burying him

Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 AM

why would "some' abortions be included and the rest not? Why would any be included actually? Are you sure?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Tragic.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
And your tireless rants never get old. You think people don't already read about what goes on in Philadelphia? Why do we need people in our region to reiterate what we already know? What are you doing to keep these people off the streets?You're a typical suburbanite, tucked away in the backwoods of Jersey secretly glad you don't live in the city. Its people like you this region will never work as one. Go away.
not rants .. I was pointing out a fact that someone was incorrect in saying that Philadelphia is safe if you stay out of ghettos. That's all. I'm not going to sit here and allow inaccuracies(for others to read if they were complicating moving to Philly) without telling the truth.. Thats not a rant.. Its facts.. big difference. Oh and btw- you have NO idea what I am doing to 'keep these people off the streets' Ill bet I'm doing more then you without even living there. What are YOU doing besides getting pissed at me for reporting the truth? Like I already said, Use that anger you direct towards me, towards the people who are doing this to the city.. BTW- I know a family who researched the city and did not realize how bad the schools are, how dirty the streets and how unsafe it was.. They are pissed that they did not get the truth and are trying to move out now. I don't want to happen others.

Last edited by frankgn87; 01-18-2012 at 05:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia