Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:48 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at an apartment in that area.

I'm a 27 y/o white male.
is this a safe area? or will I regret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 PM

134 posts, read 475,016 times
I have a friend who lives right around the corner from there (17th and Christian) and he has never had a problem. Although there are some sketchier areas a few blocks south of there.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
The bad areas are generally south of Washington, and increasingly that border is becoming south of Ellsworth/Federal. North of Washington has gotten a lot better recently. I don't think you'll regret anything renting there. I mean, it's not the ghetto, and you won't have to put up with that kind of nonsense. Crime still happens, and you should still think of yourself as on the fringe, so be mindful of that. That said, a lot of great restaurants are opening up in that area, and you're a comfortable walk away from Rittenhouse Square.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I'm looking at an apartment in that area.

I'm a 27 y/o white male.
is this a safe area? or will I regret it?
While 17th and Catharine is closer to the ghetto of point breeze than the ritz and glamor of rittenhouse, I think that overall it would be a perfectly safe place for a 27 y/o white male to live.

As marius stated above the area is on the fringe, so some common sense and awareness is needed to live there... however it is on the "right" side of the fringe. It's above washington. The neighborhood is for the most part "safe" and it is area that seems to get better with each and every passing month. Tons of development in the area.

So it is a place that I would generally recommend to people. However I read the philly board quite frequently and I've become someone what familiar with your views from your posts. Honestly not trying to insult you, but in your posts you come off as someone who is at least a little sheltered and someone who would not do well in area that requires a little street sense... an area that is still on it's way up.

Nothing wrong with that mind you. Just trying to advise you as best as I can.

I'm pretty sure I remember you saying that you thought Northern Liberties was dirty and dangerous. I also remember you saying that your family moved out springfield delaware county because it was going downhill or something like that.

Based on comments like this and others, I don't know if a place on 17th and Catharine would be the right place for you. You would probably want to focus on a more established area, even if that means being able to afford less living space.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
While 17th and Catharine is closer to the ghetto of point breeze than the ritz and glamor of rittenhouse, I think that overall it would be a perfectly safe place for a 27 y/o white male to live.

As marius stated above the area is on the fringe, so some common sense and awareness is needed to live there... however it is on the "right" side of the fringe. It's above washington. The neighborhood is for the most part "safe" and it is area that seems to get better with each and every passing month. Tons of development in the area.

So it is a place that I would generally recommend to people. However I read the philly board quite frequently and I've become someone what familiar with your views from your posts. Honestly not trying to insult you, but in your posts you come off as someone who is at least a little sheltered and someone who would not do well in area that requires a little street sense... an area that is still on it's way up.

Nothing wrong with that mind you. Just trying to advise you as best as I can.

I'm pretty sure I remember you saying that you thought Northern Liberties was dirty and dangerous. I also remember you saying that your family moved out springfield delaware county because it was going downhill or something like that.

Based on comments like this and others, I don't know if a place on 17th and Catharine would be the right place for you. You would probably want to focus on a more established area, even if that means being able to afford less living space.
I looked a a great place right on Catharine St and i like it a lot. However, my parents were nothing, but negative about it.
They didn't like the fact that a rec center was across the street, they said there will be "all kinds of pick up basketball games and shootings and drug dealings" "kids running around" etc....

They mentioned I should look east of Broad. However this Catharine st place im looking at is only like 3 blocks west of broad. It didnt seem like a bad neighborhood when I looked at it tho. Of course, It's January and no one was walking around outside or anything.
I'm still considering it. I dunno what to do.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
I have a friend who lives right around the corner from there (17th and Christian) and he has never had a problem. Although there are some sketchier areas a few blocks south of there.
We also have friends in the neighborhood (the 1900 block of Catherine) and have walked that area frequently at night, including after 1 a.m. on New Years. It seems perfectly safe to our radar and we always see a few other folks out walking. There look to be some high end town homes going in on the 1800 block. Of course, there is no place guaranteed to be safe, as you can be gunned down in front of the Academy of Music if the right nut job comes along at the wrong time. Only you can determine for yourself if it meets your sense of safety. Check it out at different times of day and night.

Best of luck

Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
it's fine

Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I looked a a great place right on Catharine St and i like it a lot. However, my parents were nothing, but negative about it.
They didn't like the fact that a rec center was across the street, they said there will be "all kinds of pick up basketball games and shootings and drug dealings" "kids running around" etc....

They mentioned I should look east of Broad. However this Catharine st place im looking at is only like 3 blocks west of broad. It didnt seem like a bad neighborhood when I looked at it tho. Of course, It's January and no one was walking around outside or anything.
I'm still considering it. I dunno what to do.
As I and others have said the area is fine. Your parents are two people who apparently thought Springfield was too rough and tumble for them. I'd take their opinion with a grain of salt.

Luckily you're 27 so you don't need the ok from mom and dad if you want to live there. As I said earlier though, you don't seem to be the type of person with much experience living in the city and while the 1700 block of Catharine is a fine and reasonably safe place to live, you still may not feel comfortable living there based on your own personal preference.

The area is up and coming and reasonably safe but it is close to some very bad neighborhoods and the community center might draw from some of those areas. Doubt the center brings gun violence or anything like your parents suggest, but it is something to consider whether or not it will make you uncomfortable.

I'd suggest going there at night and walking around. A weekend night preferably. Walk from the subway stop on South. Walk from the location of the house to the nearest corner store. Do YOU feel safe? If yes then your parents opinions are irrelevant. The area itself is safe and if you feel safe too, that's all that matters.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
As I and others have said the area is fine. Your parents are two people who apparently thought Springfield was too rough and tumble for them. I'd take their opinion with a grain of salt.

Luckily you're 27 so you don't need the ok from mom and dad if you want to live there. As I said earlier though, you don't seem to be the type of person with much experience living in the city and while the 1700 block of Catharine is a fine and reasonably safe place to live, you still may not feel comfortable living there based on your own personal preference.

The area is up and coming and reasonably safe but it is close to some very bad neighborhoods and the community center might draw from some of those areas. Doubt the center brings gun violence or anything like your parents suggest, but it is something to consider whether or not it will make you uncomfortable.

I'd suggest going there at night and walking around. A weekend night preferably. Walk from the subway stop on South. Walk from the location of the house to the nearest corner store. Do YOU feel safe? If yes then your parents opinions are irrelevant. The area itself is safe and if you feel safe too, that's all that matters.
You're right. I don't have any experience living in the city, hence the reason I'm asking this question- to gain a prospective from current residents of the city, such as urself.

When I left high school, I was living in West Chester. I attended a university in south Florida and worked down there after I graduated in 2006.
Since graduating in 06 and I found employment at 2 companies down there and worked at both of them for over 2 years. I primarily resided in gated suburban communities. It was not like I wanted to reside inside the confines of gates, however most apartment complexes and communities worth living in down there are gated.....thats just the way it is, much like a lot of Philly housing are row-homes...thats just how it was built.

I want to gain some experience in city-living. I'm trying to do this the safest way possible, meaning living in the city, without fearing for my life. I understand the huge differences in housing options between philly and florida.

I am easily adaptable and am looking forward to walking around a lot more and living in a city- something i've always wanted to do.

So, thank you for ur advice. I think walking around the area, at night....is possibly the best way. I'm not completely "sheltered", im just trying to avoid signing a lease in an area that is less than desireable.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
You're right. I don't have any experience living in the city, hence the reason I'm asking this question- to gain a prospective from current residents of the city, such as urself.

When I left high school, I was living in West Chester. I attended a university in south Florida and worked down there after I graduated in 2006.
Since graduating in 06 and I found employment at 2 companies down there and worked at both of them for over 2 years. I primarily resided in gated suburban communities. It was not like I wanted to reside inside the confines of gates, however most apartment complexes and communities worth living in down there are gated.....thats just the way it is, much like a lot of Philly housing are row-homes...thats just how it was built.

I want to gain some experience in city-living. I'm trying to do this the safest way possible, meaning living in the city, without fearing for my life. I understand the huge differences in housing options between philly and florida.

I am easily adaptable and am looking forward to walking around a lot more and living in a city- something i've always wanted to do.

So, thank you for ur advice. I think walking around the area, at night....is possibly the best way. I'm not completely "sheltered", im just trying to avoid signing a lease in an area that is less than desireable.
Sounds like a smart plan.

I do really think that nothing compares to a first hand perspective. Crime maps and myself and others will be able to tell you that where you are looking is reasonably safe place safe to live.

However if you get out there on a Friday night and you don't feel safe, then our opinions and a crime map don't really matter. You should live somewhere where you feel comfortable if at all possible.

There's no shame in getting out there and decided this area is not for you. Philly has a lot of neighborhoods and I'm sure you'll be able to find one that works for you.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia