U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,283 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at places in University City, but I've found that they're either really expensive (to gouge Ivy League undergrad's rich parents, I'm guessing), or total dumps. Should I be looking at other neighborhoods? I'm also nervous about Univ. City because I know the neighborhood can be dramatically different from block to block, and I have no idea what are "good" blocks and what are "bad" blocks. I'm not adverse to some diversity in my neighborhood, but I want to be safe, as my husband will be staying a few nights a week up in the Allentown area for work.

When are you moving?
May/June/July of this year
Where are you coming from? Lehigh Valley
Why are you moving? Starting vet school at UPenn
Where will you be working? I won't be, but husband will be commuting back to the valley.
Have you been here yet? Yep, but not in the "find a place to live" mindset.

Will you buy or rent? Rent.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft?
Any of the above would be fine. Looking for 1 bed + den or 2 bed. Definitely need c/a, dishwasher, and w/d in unit or at least laundry on site.
How much can you spend? Can spend up to $1500 but would prefer $1000-1200
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Either.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, no kids.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Doesn't matter.
Do you have pets? Yep, two cats.
Do you want or need a yard? Doesn't matter.
Are you keeping a car? Yes, but I don't care if I have to park on the street.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? I like having things to do and places to go close by, but I want to be able to sleep at night, too.

What do you want to be closest to?
UPenn, or public transportation that will get me there quickly and reliably.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Doesn't matter.

Coke or Pepsi? Diet Pepsi. With rum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM

147 posts, read 326,956 times
I would say that 46th St. is the demarcation line for the hood.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM

8,361 posts, read 19,363,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbarian View Post
I would say that 46th St. is the demarcation line for the hood.
IMO I would extend that out to about 48th, perhaps 50th further south between Baltimore and Springfield Avenues.

"Calling Clark Park (among others)..."

Old 01-27-2012, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,657 times
I'd say you'll be fine anywhere north of springfield & east of 41st(??). Baltimore Ave is actually pretty contemporary & cool. Anything past clark park is toooo far lol

Old 01-27-2012, 04:15 PM

8,361 posts, read 19,363,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphillyated View Post
I'd say you'll be fine anywhere north of springfield & east of 41st(??). Baltimore Ave is actually pretty contemporary & cool. Anything past clark park is toooo far lol
Perhaps you meant east of 51st? The rest of your quote refers to areas well west of 41st.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-27-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 PM

22,630 posts, read 13,643,956 times
I think any neighborhood east of 50th Street, south of Walnut Street and north of Kingsessing St. is fine. Also the core of Powelton Village from 32nd to 36th street Hamilton to Powelton.

You want to be sure you are within the limits of University City District. That's were the green and yellow jacket "street ambassadors" patrol.

The best neighborhoods are:

Spruce Hill
Garden Court
Cedar Park
Squirrel Hill
Powelton Village
(Walnut Hill can be "iffy")

Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,283 times
Thank you to everyone who has replied. I've narrowed it down to two places and was hoping I could get an opinion or two.

The first is in the Logan Square area - Westminster Arch. Nothing fancy, but good space for the $$, seemed relatively safe, gets great reviews on online rating sites.

The second is a third floor walkup in Powelton Village at 36th and Baring. The landlord is a lovely couple, the apartment is large and beautiful, but I'm concerned about the area. It looks okay by day, but I haven't had the chance to check it out at night, so I don't know if I'll feel comfortable walking home up 36th from Penn's campus.

Any additional input would be appreciated!!

Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,288,517 times
Personally I'd lean towards Center City as opposed to Univ City. Powelton gets you pretty close to the hood(Mantua), maybe worse than that you will be right in the midst of all the Drexel U hooligans.

For outsiders/non city folk I recommend
Fitler Square
Washington West
Logan Square
Rittenhouse(if you can find something)
Art Museum
Spring Garden
Old City
Society Hill
Queen Village

Good luck. They may' be on the high side of your budget.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 PM

27 posts, read 49,833 times
I live in a nice area near 49th and Springfield. Really nice 2 bedroom apt., really 2 rooms, a bath, a kitchen and small eating area. We pay $1250 util. included. It's really quiet around here...summer is awesome for walking to get coffee or to a park. Way more laid back and quiet than South philly, CC, Fishtown, NoLibs...or anywhere near CC. Lots of liberal types if that's your thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia