Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 12,340 times

Advertisements

I was in Philly last week to look at some areas to live and I stumbled upon City Ave and what I thought were pretty good apartments -- Presidential City (towers) and Lincoln Green (garden style). Loved it because it's so close to Center City and figured I could still have my car but not worry about street parking. Plus (and this is a BIG PLUS) after driving around (834 miles to be exact) a few areas and seeing all the dilapidated exteriors of apartments and homes, I was excited to find these rare "gems" so close to Center City. But after getting back to Cali, I did a search and found an apartment review site that basically blasted both apartments. (Mice, roaches, elevators, laundry machines constantly breaking, etc) Actually I never could find a rating that was 60% or higher for many if not all the apartments listed in a few area neighborhoods. So since I can't fly back out there, I am asking for some assistance.

Does anyone know the City Avenue area or those apartments well enough to provide me with some honest feedback? Or maybe another apartment complex that I should definitely consider? I was planning on the Presidential because Lincoln Green was over the top with its move in costs, key card fees and small living room area. I am planning on moving in late April but now I'm stuck.

A little about me...I am a single 35 y/o but most people want to put me back in college and looking to be around mixed demo's between 30-70's would be nice. Originally from DC/Maryland (PG county) but now live on the westside in Los Angeles, CA. I want to come back East and thought Philly would be a good place and I love the Rittenhouse/Art Museum area. I don't do clubs but a lounge is always nice and restaurants, bars and a movie theatre conveniently located to me would be awesome. I'm not worried about the price so much as the apartment and area.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm finding that years of living in suburbia with a certain look and upkeep has been engrained into my head...and I'd like to keep it as much as possible here. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I admit that I don't know much specifics about either of those apartment complexes. I would, however, take those apartment ratings with a grain of salt as the negative reviewers will be quicker to reply. (i.e., a 60% might actually be good.) Unless either Presidential Towers and Lincoln Green have taken a dramatic turn for the worse over the last few years, I was under the impression that they were each relatively upscale properties.

There's not much happening on City Ave. besides some typical chain restaurants and retail along with perhaps a couple watering holes for nearby St. Joseph's University students.

A bit further out, you may like (in order of increasing distance and likely expense) Ardmore, Bryn Mawr and especially Wayne. These are part of the Main Line - a string of upscale communities running along nearby Lancaster Avenue/Route 30. Wayne has the most to offer in terms of after-hours options but it still pales to the city itself.

City Ave. is at least convenient to - but not walking distance from - Manayunk (MANNA-yunk, MANNY-yunk), a city neighborhood popular with the post-college crowd although it has a variety of restaurants, lounges and a movieplex. So you are just a 10 minute (cab) ride away from fun should you choose to live on City Ave.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:48 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
I knew someone who lived at Lincoln Green and I thought the whole place seemed very nice. The apartment was small but had a luxury feel to it and the complex seemed very secluded and private but it is in the heart of the action on City Av.
I don’t know about the Presidential, never been in there. It has always had a good reputation and at one time was considered luxurious but it is very old. That end of City Av is really convenient to everywhere but it is congested with lots of traffic. I don’t think much of Apartment ratings.com. Most of the complaints seem bogus. On the other hand if 10 people say there are rats there may be something to it.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 PM

Tone and Bryson: Thanks for the insight. I figured those who feel wronged are the first and quickest to provide negative feedback. I also looked at the dates of the individual posts and 6-8 months ago still is pretty current and noteworthy. Maybe now I will call the leasing agent to see if she can address these issues. Never would expect this type of information to offered up willingly during the model & building tour, however it was on my mind and I forgot to ask. (Too caught up in my relief at finding a place, I guess.)

I did consider Ardmore and wanted to check it out again but even having a week I still ran out of time at the end. Since I didn't exactly know where to go I was just driving around aimlessly threw each town hoping to catch some areas that I liked. I don't believe I saw Wayne but now I'll check it out the best way I know how long distance style! While I tell myself I don't really care what after work options there are (as long as I can get to CC), I'm sure once I'm there I'll want more and much more convenient options right outside my door. Especially when too lazy to cook. As for Manayunk...I didn't really fancy it. Of course I didn't know where I was going and it was overcast and raining.

Lincoln Green was a welcome sight but the upfront costs and extra fees quickly put a downer on that. Oh and the fact that they don't have set prices for apts! WTH? Which is too bad because that was EXACTLY the kind of living I'm accustomed to. And the thought of rats and roaches...eww...just typing it makes me shiver and cringe.

So thanks again and I'm still OH SO WAY OPEN to additional suggestions. Not moving until April but I gotta start making my plans now.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Honestly not sure of the work situation (where that will be) but if you like the Rittenhouse Area, why not just live in the area. If you work DT the gas money you save will pay for the parking required.

Also without a better understanding of the work situation/location it is hard to recommend other places.

I dont know those units but as tone said City Line Ave is a little sleepy to me, especially if you are coming from the Westside of LA

Also being just a little older than you the far better singles scene for this age group will be in Center City area, and no need for clubs either (that is a younger scene anyway)

Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Hi KidPhilly: Hmm, the work situation.... Well, I hope to have the same job I have now but work remotely and occasionally fly back to LA. If that doesn't pan out, I've got feelers out already. But, as you can imagine a resume with California on it is placed to the side more often than on top. No worries = fingers (tightly) crossed.

I'd love to live in the Rittenhouse area but I'm thinking it's too costly for me. I don't really want to go past $1050 for a 1Bd/1Bth and what I've seen that's nice and modern goes way past that. I will admit my search always ends quickly.

Sleepy areas I don't necessarily want but quiet around the apartment complex is always nice. I could stand a little background city noise no problem, though.

I'm not a fan of LA nightlife but since I'm from DC/MD, I need the "grown & sexy" factor. Clubs have been out of the picture for a few years now or only for special occasions. People assume I'm in my 20's so often so the age factor is a definite concern. I need my grown & sexy peoples!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
The rental market here is pretty tight. I think you have to figure on 900 to 1000 at least for a decent place. Are you using Philadelphia PA Apartments for Rent | Philadelphia Apartments | Philadelphia Rentals ?

There is a lot to choose from near City Av..... and I disagree that the area is "sleepy" considering it is suburbia.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 AM

Bryson: I just found out about 4WallsInPhilly last week so I still have to check them out. As I mentioned, I don't really want to go above $1050 but will make an exception if I feel the place is worth it. I'm gonna put my Internet researching skills to the test.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
There is a lot to choose from near City Av..... and I disagree that the area is "sleepy" considering it is suburbia.
Sleepy, no, but definitely not "grown up & sexy" either.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Sleepy, no, but definitely not "grown up & sexy" either.
Unless perhaps one considers "grown & sexy" to be in the upper half of the OP's preferred age demo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia