Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

^^ Oh look another list. And again Philly is nowhere to be found

America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes

Since we are talking about facts. These lists are compiled on per capita crime rates using FBI stats. What would a Philly Cop say about FBI crime stat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Well, that is good news.. How come you can find so much conflicting info then? Who is right??

Old 07-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Who is right??
Certainly not you.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:56 AM

would you believe the Philadelphia Police then??

http://phillypolice.com/assets/Uploa...YWIDEWK-67.pdf

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Certainly not you.

living 400 miles away, you should not even be in the thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
living 400 miles away, you should not even be in the thread
Ya, well I am here to scope South Philly for a possible move. And I keep running across your doom and gloom posts that are far out of whack with what the majority of posters have to say about Philly. Not to mention I hit with no less than 3 most dangerous city links that don't even give Philly an honorable mention. I guess you would want me to keep quiet.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Ya, well I am here to scope South Philly for a possible move. And I keep running across your doom and gloom posts that are far out of whack with what the majority of posters have to say about Philly. Not to mention I hit with no less than 3 most dangerous city links that don't even give Philly an honorable mention. I guess you would want me to keep quiet.

I hear ya.. Don't let me bother you if you are looking to move here.. You have to experience it for yourself It very different.. I was born here over 50 years ago so I have seen a lot .. Too much sometimes The reason I do what I do is that I do not want a family to experience what we did.. You have to be honest when others are looking to up and move a family here. Be honest about schools, safety, cleanliness, housing and taxes. I am telling others our experience.. That's all. If you choose not to head, its up to you.. Good luck whatever you do,, Heres a rundown to what happened to us in our Philly time. Home robbed once, broken into a caught once, pick pocketed once, car broken into 4 times, home vandalized (graffiti) once, wife attempted car jack(thank God she locks her doors), guy walking into our home one night the door was unlocked once and I removed him) once.. Numerous run in s with neighbors over parking spots..

Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 PM

^^ I appreciate where you are coming from. But I gotta say from what I have read you post about how the neighborhood you were in turned out, that is a pretty common occurrence. I've seen similar neighbohoods turn for the worse all across the nation, I've traveled a lot. And typically, the smaller the city and population the more noticeable the crime problem. Flint Michigan is a prime example. Dayton Ohio another.

And really, just because you had a rough go of it in Philly does not mean everyone else is having the same troubles. By all accounts there are really nice areas of Philly that are family oriented and liveable. Do you owe it to the good still left in Philly to trash them too in with the negatives? Just a thought.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post

Frank's backstory is that he lived in one of those NE neighborhoods that went downhill. Just so you know what point of view he's coming from. You'd be pretty jaded if that happened to your neighborhood too.
That's my back story too......As well as the story of MANY who've lived in various places in the states.
When it starts to change for the worse, you probably should move and when it starts to change for the better you STILL may have to move.

Example my father's cousin and her daughter lived in North Philly just a few blocks south of 27th & Girard Ave. and it was a pretty jacked up area in the late 70's and early 80's but by 1985 there was some beginning redevelopment and a big push to call that area "Brewery Town" and within 8 years it was accomplished. My younger cousin and her mom was trying to purchase the house in 1987 when it just 30K for this tiny two bdrm, One small bath, and 12X12 cement yard. They couldn't make the purchase at the time so continued renting. The daughter returned from the Airforce in '92 and was able to purchase the home for her mom for 65K. In five years the price more than doubled and the landlord was drinking the "This isn't REALLY North Philly anymore it's Brewery Town" and in another decade it'll be apart of the Art Museum area.

Anyway her mom still liked the area, she grew up there and it was making vast improvements. Fast forward to 2009 the daughter is now divorced with three children, ages 11 through 17 and now moving to the late mothers home in North Philly.... Sorry "Brewery Town"
They had lived in the suburbs near Norristown but had to sell their home and split the proceeds. She liked being back in the city and the improvements to the neighborhoods, didn't like how small the two Bdrm home was but figured she'd try it for a year and sell the home (Valued at 145K) and make a purchase just a little closer to Art Museum & CC... Her kids hated it, the cramped space in the home, the ugly blocks and brick homes without lawns.

I think they moved to Mt. Airy so the oldest two could attend Central HS and she hasn't sold the home but now rents it out at 1200 monthly but still cannot afford one of the bigger 3 story 4 Bdrm-2bth homes that are going for 369K & up................ She grew up there as did her mom and many others in the 40's & 50's when her grandfather worked at one of the local breweries or factories as well as her dad and uncles. When those places close up and nothing replaces them, then things are gonna change in the next 20 years.

When the area is invested in and new blood comes in (Along with new expenses) things change for the better and even the good citizens who've resided there for years cannot purchase the property's in the same neighborhood or may not find it worth it for the price... These things happen ALL over for better or....FOR WORSE

Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
^^ You do know Brewerytown is a NEIGHBORHOOD in North Philadelphia. The same way Brooklyn Heights is a NEIGHBORHOOD within Brooklyn.

Second, they moved to Mt. Airy? You do know Mt. Airy is still in Philadelphia right?

What was the point of your story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia