U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,156,531 times

Advertisements

Buy as far west as possible. Find a 3 bedroom townhome NOT in the William Penn or Upper Darby or SE Delco school districts. This area has been steadily going down for the past 4-5 years. We used to live in a beautiful 3 bedroom row in Drexel Hill from 1998-2007. This was supposed to be our starter house too but we stayed with 2 kids and another on the way. Life has a way of changing your plans so I would highly recommend buying your home as if it were your last.

That means buying in the best school district or safest area you can afford. Pilgrim Gardens section of Drexel Hill is in the Haverford School District so you could look there; otherwise I would look to the areas Rainrock suggested.

The price of homes and proximity to the city means that city dwellers are moving into the Lansdowne and Upper Darby areas in droves - bringing down the quality of life in these areas. The schools are just getting worse and worse and while some of the transplants are great, quite a few are not...

You may also want to consider parts of South Jersey that can get you to UC quickly via Patco and Septa...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 740 times
Default And now?

It's 5+ years later...Do you still live in Lansdowne? Do you still like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant$ View Post
We just moved into Lansdowne in July. Actually, it's considered Drexel Hill (something abuot zoning...but i still have a lansdowne zip code). Our public high school is considered Upper Darby High, as opposed to Penn Wood. I actually like it here. My neighbors are Caucasian, Caribbean, Asian, and Asian Indian.

I do notice a few homes with white families in the surrounding areas with FOR SALE signs on their property. We were actually concerned that this was a sign of white flight, but the homes are beautiful and affordable. The particular home that we bought was just flipped, so the fiancée fell in love with the house.

I guess we would be a classified as a typical yuppie couple who would have moved into Fishtown/Northern Liberties. However, our jobs brought us here and we don't regret it...so far.

ask us again in 5 years.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:16 AM

300 posts, read 849,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLauren View Post
It's 5+ years later...Do you still live in Lansdowne? Do you still like it?
I love it here.

There only issue is...

...I have a 9 month old. and Upper Darby and Lansdowne's school districts aren't going to cut it.

apparently the Elementary schools and good...even the middle schools are ok. just the high schools...

but other than that...I love it here.

there's a lot of new business...business that you'd think would be more appropriate in University City...or Fishtown. Avenue Deli. Icery. AviAnna. Faaji.

just the damn school district
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia