Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 26,580 times

Advertisements

We currently rent in University City which is very close to where we work and we haven't needed a car, but the crime rate is really driving us out - I was mugged and our house was broken into in the last month. We are a young family with a 10 month old, and planning to have another child in about 2 years. We're looking to buy our first home but can only afford $190K.

Lansdowne has some beautiful 4 bedroom homes, hardwood floors, backyards etc, and it's pretty close to where we are now. But can anyone tell me what the sense of community is like, and the level of crime. Where we are now we know all our neighbors and have block parties etc. Is Lansdowne friendly? I like to walk a lot and jog - would I feel safe around here? I don't feel safe in University City/West Philly much of the time and would never go out after dark.

The public elementary schools don't look too good but there is a Catholic school that is affordable and since our baby is so young we do have 4 years to figure that out...so this is less important right now.

Thanks in advance,

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
I 'd keep going further west if I were you. There is a good reason you can get a 4 bedroom house for$190K. Landsdowne is better than West Philly but its no paradise . Go Another 20 minutes west and you are in Springfield,Ridley Township,Media etc. Its a whole different world. You can find nice houses in Media and Ridley Township for under 200K. You'll get less house than you could in landsdowne but safety should always be priority #1 especially after your experience in U.City.

Good luck

Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 16,802 times
Default A Native of Lansdowne

I just wanted to let people know, that although Lansdowne has seen its fair amount of changes within the past few years, it is still a very nice place to live. As a 25 year native and a young mid-20's adult, I lived here with my family all my life and I am currently seeking to possibly buy my own home here with my fiance. My family and friends continue to live here and although we have seen regression, it has be followed by huge progression. The town itself has increased in diversity, which has as a result, created many new activities and organizations. There is a very active Girls and Boys Sport Club with many children and active parents as coachs, Holiday Parades, etc. There are many parks and creeks to explore, as well as a public pool, library, and quaint shopping. Since the progression has started, there have been many new additions to the town...you can definitely see the push for Lansdowne to be a very urban-ish but in the burbs/yuppie-type/organic town, if that makes sense, which I see as a positive thing - a weekly Farmer's Market, Arts Festivals, Folk Concerts, Bike Trails, Neghborhood-wide Yard Sales. If I would say one negative thing about Lansdowne, is that it is surrounded by neighborhoods on the East side that are seeing some trouble. I would suggest looking towards the West side, closer to Drexel Hill. I take nightly runs through my town and see more and more improvements here. People moving in are taking care of their properties more as well. The school system is not the greatest; however, most of the kids here attend either Catholic schools or other private institutions...don't know if that is what you are looking for. All in all, Lansdowne has a great sense of community, pretty tree lined streets, many activities, and affordable housing. More and more people are moving here from the city. The convenience to the city is unreal. I take a 10 minute train into University City every morning with no trouble. There are 2 train stations, one in the heart of Lansdowne that has lots of parking and one in Gladstone, a small, beautiful section of Lansdowne that boasts community Tree Lighting, Outside Movies, etc in their small little area.

Hope this helps your decision making. If you are looking for your stereotypical same houses everywhere suburbs, try Springfield. Media is also nice...a lot like Lansdowne in its urban style, but further away from Philly.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 PM

274 posts, read 1,400,640 times
I agree with the above...Lansdowne can be nice for a young family. Most people have concerns about the school system,so you may need to think that carefully.
Also agree that overall safety is pretty good in Lansdowne, but that you will find it to be very safe if you look toward Drexel Hill, Springfield, Media as mentioned above.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 26,580 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all your responses . The feeling that I had after we visited Lansdowne on a Sunday was similar to what you describe, Ellyanne527. We passed many play parks and wooded areas, and saw children playing soccer in the school fields. I know the schools are not good, but yes we would be looking into Catholic and private schools when the time comes - we already wanted to do that and the cheaper real estate cost would make this more feasible financially for us. I do work in University City so the easy commute is a definite plus. And the farmers market, neighborhood yard sales and boys and girls clubs all sound really appealing.

I totally take your point about Media, Springfield etc - we actually wanted to live in Media since we have family (read: babysitting!) there, but we have been looking and found absolutely nothing with 3 beds (which we need for our growing family) in our price range. We also think that since this is our first home-buying experience we can view this as a 'starter home' and we could always move further West in 5 years time when our incomes will have grown (we are in our mid-twenties).

So thanks all - we'll look into Drexel Hill, but you helped me feel better about Lansdowne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyanne527 View Post
I just wanted to let people know, that although Lansdowne has seen its fair amount of changes within the past few years, it is still a very nice place to live. As a 25 year native and a young mid-20's adult, I lived here with my family all my life and I am currently seeking to possibly buy my own home here with my fiance. My family and friends continue to live here and although we have seen regression, it has be followed by huge progression. The town itself has increased in diversity, which has as a result, created many new activities and organizations. There is a very active Girls and Boys Sport Club with many children and active parents as coachs, Holiday Parades, etc. There are many parks and creeks to explore, as well as a public pool, library, and quaint shopping. Since the progression has started, there have been many new additions to the town...you can definitely see the push for Lansdowne to be a very urban-ish but in the burbs/yuppie-type/organic town, if that makes sense, which I see as a positive thing - a weekly Farmer's Market, Arts Festivals, Folk Concerts, Bike Trails, Neghborhood-wide Yard Sales. If I would say one negative thing about Lansdowne, is that it is surrounded by neighborhoods on the East side that are seeing some trouble. I would suggest looking towards the West side, closer to Drexel Hill. I take nightly runs through my town and see more and more improvements here. People moving in are taking care of their properties more as well. The school system is not the greatest; however, most of the kids here attend either Catholic schools or other private institutions...don't know if that is what you are looking for. All in all, Lansdowne has a great sense of community, pretty tree lined streets, many activities, and affordable housing. More and more people are moving here from the city. The convenience to the city is unreal. I take a 10 minute train into University City every morning with no trouble. There are 2 train stations, one in the heart of Lansdowne that has lots of parking and one in Gladstone, a small, beautiful section of Lansdowne that boasts community Tree Lighting, Outside Movies, etc in their small little area.

Hope this helps your decision making. If you are looking for your stereotypical same houses everywhere suburbs, try Springfield. Media is also nice...a lot like Lansdowne in its urban style, but further away from Philly.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 13,099 times
Default What about Havertown

I grew up in the area down the street from MOnsignor Bonner. I know the area is changing so looking in Drexel Hill may be better than Lansdowne but not as affordable. What about looking in Havertown? You may be able to find something you can afford there? Good luck

Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM

301 posts, read 921,730 times
We just moved into Lansdowne in July. Actually, it's considered Drexel Hill (something abuot zoning...but i still have a lansdowne zip code). Our public high school is considered Upper Darby High, as opposed to Penn Wood. I actually like it here. My neighbors are Caucasian, Caribbean, Asian, and Asian Indian.

I do notice a few homes with white families in the surrounding areas with FOR SALE signs on their property. We were actually concerned that this was a sign of white flight, but the homes are beautiful and affordable. The particular home that we bought was just flipped, so the fiancée fell in love with the house.

I guess we would be a classified as a typical yuppie couple who would have moved into Fishtown/Northern Liberties. However, our jobs brought us here and we don't regret it...so far.

ask us again in 5 years.

Last edited by Ant$; 12-04-2007 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: misspelled a word

Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 10,718 times
HI,
I too am looking to purchase my first home. My finace and I are in our upper 20's and wanted to move to an area like northern libs or fishtown. Sadly we cant afford those areas. were looking for a safe, neighborhood area. The way you explained Lansdown seems to be just what we are looking for. Are there certain streets and or sections we should look into or avoid?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM

301 posts, read 921,730 times
hmm...the farther away from Baltimore Pike/Ave, the better, I think...

meaning the closer to Garrett Road and away from the city, the better

Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM

364 posts, read 1,080,330 times
I would say no. It's a bad area and you'll never be able to re-sell your home. If you do, you'll have to take a hit on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia