Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 8,979 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently moved to the Wayne, PA area in Chester County and need to drive to the University City area three times a week. Since it's for delivery purposes, I need to drive rather than use public transportation.

Are there any other routes to Philly besides the Schuylkill Expressway? I tried that for a few days and the traffic is horrendous, even when leaving the house by 6AM.

If anyone can offer suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,607,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesCoTom View Post
Hi,

I recently moved to the Wayne, PA area in Chester County and need to drive to the University City area three times a week. Since it's for delivery purposes, I need to drive rather than use public transportation.

Are there any other routes to Philly besides the Schuylkill Expressway? I tried that for a few days and the traffic is horrendous, even when leaving the house by 6AM.

If anyone can offer suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Tom
You can actually take Lancaster Ave all the way down into University City from Wayne... don't know how long that will take or how much traffic there will be but it is worth a shot

Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM

184 posts, read 368,370 times
hiway 23 east, get on near 76/476 and it dumps you off on/near City Av.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:20 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,902,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You can actually take Lancaster Ave all the way down into University City from Wayne... don't know how long that will take or how much traffic there will be but it is worth a shot
Lancaster Avenue traffic can be awful, especially in West Philly when the trolley is running.

Take Upper Gulph Road to 320 North, then take 23 East to Belmont Avenue. From there, cut through Fairmount Park on Concourse Drive South, and turn right on 34th. Once you pass the zoo, you're only a mile or so from Market.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,725,214 times
upper gulph to montgomery/gulph rd, thence into the city

Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 8,979 times
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried taking Lancaster Ave. all the way into the city but all the stop lights and trolley and school buses really made it a slow commute. Plus, you go through some really seedy parts of town that I would rather avoid.

Another thought was to take Lancaster Ave. to the Blue Route southbound, then to Rt. 3 West Chester Pike eastbound to the edge of Philly and then take Chestnut St. into the city. Not sure how long this would be but those roads seem pretty clear real early in the morning.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,158,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesCoTom View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried taking Lancaster Ave. all the way into the city but all the stop lights and trolley and school buses really made it a slow commute. Plus, you go through some really seedy parts of town that I would rather avoid.

Another thought was to take Lancaster Ave. to the Blue Route southbound, then to Rt. 3 West Chester Pike eastbound to the edge of Philly and then take Chestnut St. into the city. Not sure how long this would be but those roads seem pretty clear real early in the morning.
Chestnut + Market in Upper Darby/West Philly are worse than Lancaster Ave if you can believe that.

Montgomery Ave to Belmont is probably your bet bet. Lancaster ave is a nightmare.

Unfortunately There are no right answers on this particular commute.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,725,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Chestnut + Market in Upper Darby/West Philly are worse than Lancaster Ave if you can believe that.

Montgomery Ave to Belmont is probably your bet bet. Lancaster ave is a nightmare.

rt3 between the city and the blue route is even worse than chestnut/walnut. btw, fwiw, chestnut and walnut are timed, or were, so you'd hit no lights going, I think, 35 mph

Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,738,241 times
I often take the Blue Rt (I-476) south to I-95 north to Island Av to Enterprise Av (auto mall) to I-76 @ Passyunk. A little out of the way but seldom any traffic.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:41 AM

958 posts, read 1,188,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

West Chester/Market/Chestnut near Upper Darby and Baltimore Ave getting closer to the city limits are probably the two worst areas along a main thoroughfare outside of the city. You would never catch me around either area late at night anytime soon. Really once you go south of Township Line in that eastern part of the county, the change is pretty dramatic pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia