Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 26,057 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live and work in Pittsburgh. But I am (hopefully) close to receiving a job offer in Philadelphia and my wife has an opportunity to relocate to her company's headquarters in Morristown, NJ. I know that Philly and Morristown are about 1:40 minutes apart, but we are both accustomed to 40 minute commutes to work.

Two questions:

1.) Does anyone have any ideas as to what places we should be looking to live somewhere between the two? (Princeton seems like a good midway point; do many people that live in Princeton commute to Philly?)

2.) Is this even doable? (i.e. would it just not be possible to find a convenient place to live between the two cities without one or both of us killing ourselves to drive to and from work every day)

We both want to live in the Philly area because of the career opportunities, but we also think that it would be a good area to start a family in the next two years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 26,057 times
Also, since I am new to this board and just learning the protocol, some additional information:
- We are both 30 years old, with no children (yet), but one dog
- I am a lawyer and she is in healthcare communications
- We are looking to rent for at least the first year; preferably something smaller given our limited space needs, maybe with a modern style (inlcluding mid-century modern, and certain 70s etc.)

Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
wow.. That is quite a far distance apart. Its an hour and forty without the rush hour traffic.. I would say that Ewing township Nj is somewhere in the middle.. Great area too. That would but both of you at 45 minutes or so for your daily commutes. This whole area is very nice and has just about anything you could wish for.. You will love it here..

Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
probably somewhere near trenton (ie. Princeton). that way you could take train to philly. could also conceivably live near one of the major amtrak stations in northern NJ (ie. metro park) and you could take amtrak to philly and your wife would have a "more" reasonable commute. but even that would probably be rough. traffic in northern NJ is terrible.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:17 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
honestly from experience, philly and morristown are more like 2 hours apart. my family lives in morristown and i lived in philly for years. if you are talking a work commute it would be even longer than 2 hours. no real direct route unless you want to take toll roads. princeton area might work for a mid point though.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
I would suggest someplace between 8a and 5 along the NJ Turnpike; whould be about an hour for both

FWIW I travle from CC to Morristown (Really East Hanover) ~ one a week, can do door to door in 1:30 minutes, honestly but I take the NJ Turnpike to 78 to 22

Old 03-16-2012, 11:28 AM

566 posts, read 958,207 times
Princeton, NJ is probably your best bet.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:36 PM

11 posts, read 18,795 times
I would suggest West Windsor. Alot of people commute from here. If you can afford Princeton by all means move there. Its beautiful!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 AM

20 posts, read 54,849 times
Honestly, going via public transit from Princeton Junction to Morristown would be a big pain in the a** and time consuming. The person going to Morristown would have to transfer at Secaucus to the Morris/Essex line. From Princeton, this is a > 2 hour commute each way. (Anything > 1 hour has been shown to contribute to a drastic decrease in quality of life BTW.)

On a bad traffic day, which is potentially any rush hour, I would say Philly and Morristown can be more like a 2 hr drive from any roughly equidistant point. I would guess that point to be Raritan Township or Flemington, NJ. Have no idea what the rental situation is in these towns but would guess it would not be your taste.

Interestingly, New Hope, PA maps out to be about a 45 min to 1 hour driving commute (but double it re: traffic IMO) both to Morristown and Philly. Nice area. Some great apartment buildings just outside of town.

If either of you is going to use NJ Transit, you can use their trip planner to map out an equidistant station (they include 30th Street in Philly as one of the trip planner stops although you are actually transferring to SEPTA at Trenton). I would guess that point to be somewhere around New Brunswick or a little north, which includes a lot of meh towns (Edison, Rahway, etc). Relying on public transit would make the commute for the person going to Morristown hell IMO.

HTH

Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,135 times
I agree with some of the other replies that focused on the Princeton, Hopewell, Ewing area. That location can make one of you primarily a train (Amtrak, NJ Transit) commuter (from Princeton or Trenton). The Morristown commute is probably best done by car - not enviable, but not awful if you have somewhat flexible hours.
Yardley, PA or nearby might be an option if/when you buy - the Morristown commute would be a bit longer, but you'd avoid the punitive NJ real estate taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia