Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,040 times

Advertisements

My father received a job at the Penn university. Out dilemma at the moment is finding a good place to live at. Our main issue is the crime rate and safety. So if anyone could please give some advice on moving down here and if you know any good neighborhoods to look at.

All the help possible would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 08:52 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,584,962 times
I assume you mean the University of Pennsylvania. You have a lot of good options, but it would depend on family needs such as schools and whether you want city or suburbs. I would suggest you go to wwwdotphilly blogdotcom (use . instead of word dot). Check out the forums there.

As a start, if you want city living, I would check out the Center City, Southwest Center City and University City forums.

If you prefer more suburban (but easily accessible by train to Penn), then check out Germantown/Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill. Ardmore and Narberth are also good areas.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy living here.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:31 PM

Well we do need a school for myself, a high school actually..and safety is certainly an issue. Personally I would enjoy a city life, but I rather stay in the suburbs and just travel in for my parents sake.

here some neighborhoods we have looked at. Please put in some opinions on these.

Havertown

Blue Bell

Morton

Warminster

Bensalem

Lansdale

we dont want a place that is too far from the city but not too close i guess. Main two my parents are looking at are warminster and bensalem.

all help is appreciated. thank you.

P.S.

Where is it safer??

Last edited by StrawberryMima; 10-16-2006 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 639 times
have you thought of chester county...the crime rate is low, you can find decent homes for a good price & my kids love the high school & the community.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:49 PM

do you know anything about bensalem?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,584,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryMima View Post
do you know anything about bensalem?

Bensalem is ok, but I don't know about the school system there. Trains are convenient for getting to 30th Street and then the subway surface car to Penn. For driving, it's close to I-95 which brings you into center city and connects to I-76 which is the route to Penn.

I would still suggest considering Ardmore. It's suburban, but closer to Penn and a shorter commute. Plus you would be going to Lower Merion High School, which is one of the best in the country.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:33 AM

41 posts, read 245,112 times
Bensalem school system would dfinately not be my first choice. My top school choices would be:
Lower Moreland - Huntingdon Valley
Lower Merion - Ardmore
Council Rock
Central Bucks

Old 10-24-2006, 06:22 AM

44 posts, read 283,267 times
Default Places to live?

How about Lansdowne, it's a cute little town, and I think only 6 miles from Philly? More affordable than Ardmore I bet.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 15,947 times
Thumbs up Media, PA 19063 "Everybody's Hometown"

Hi!

Try looking at Media, PA 19063 (Delaware County.)

Small-time feel with convenient living! Historic downtown, accessible by car, bus, or trolley (Route 101 SEPTA,) or take Regional Rail (R3 SEPTA) to and from University City, 30th Street Station, and beyond! Look at surrounding boroughs, I'm in Upper Providence, but I lived and worked in Downtown Media for years!

Many different price points available, diverse community… local sites include large parks, museums, historical societies, small businesses, great restaurants, and two local theaters. Easy driving to neighboring States; close to the “Blue Route” (Route 476) which takes you to Interstate 95 and the Northeast extension (Route 476.)

We are the County Seat; with our historic courthouse right down town. Currently in the middle of a “Street Scape” project…Media is already looking beautiful, while keeping its quaint charm! We have recently become America’s FIRST FAIR TRADE TOWN, and host many community events throughout the year!

Good Luck with wherever you decide to live, but I LOVE MY HOMETOWN!

Come to Media, PA “Everybody’s Hometown.”

Last edited by miss.pigeon; 10-24-2006 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-31-2006, 11:20 PM

35 posts, read 78,402 times
Bensalem and Warminster certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

This is how Syrinx2112 ranks the Philadlephia suburbs

1.Lower Merion Township
2.West Chester/Exton/Westtown
3.Media/Swarthmore/Rose Valley
4. Lower Makefield Township
5. Radnor/Malvern/Great Valley

best of luck in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia