Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 11,009 times

Advertisements

Hello...last year I posted a similar question in the Lehigh Valley forum because we were planning a move to that area. However, while driving through the Pottstown area on our last "exploring" visit to Pennsylvania, we gave a lot of thought to reconsidering our location and would like to know more about Pottstown from those who live there. May I ask those of you who know a lot about the area the following general questions, and you may be helped by the information I'm posting below regarding our housing/lifestyle needs: (1) I've heard that the area from the river north to High Street is to be avoided for safety reasons...is that true? (2) For those who have lived there a long time, why have you stayed; and for those who are recently to the area, what attracted you? (3) The nuke plant--stories? Pros? Cons? (4) We are not religious people but have no problem with those who are; we've been told by friends in the Allentown area that religion is a big part of the social structure in that part of the state and not belonging to a church is a potential problem...any thoughts?

We will be visiting next month and plan to explore specific neighborhoods in anticipation of moving late summer or early fall. Thank you very much for any information you can provide as we put together our research.

When are you moving? Late summer/early fall 2012
Where are you coming from? Suffolk County, Long Island
Why are you moving? LI is too expensive, too crowded, too difficult to get away from/off of
Where will you be working? From home...high-speed Internet a must
Have you been here yet? Drove thru late last year; planning to visit again May 2012
Will you buy or rent? Not sure we'll qualify for mortgage, so more likely rent at first
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Open to either, need at least 2 b/r and garage, no more than $150K, fix-up OK if it's just cosmetic
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Anything as long as there's a 1-car garage included in rent and accepts small dog; $1400/month max.
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 19-year-old son will move with us
Do you prefer public or private schools? n/a
Do you have pets? Small dog
Do you want or need a yard? Really would like one, or at least deck/terrace
Are you keeping a car? 4 cars, need min. 1 garage
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm/quiet
What do you want to be closest to?
Shopping supermarket within 10 minute drive, mall within 20
Restaurants We're not fussy...chain restaurants fine, need a Starbucks and Panera Bread
Hospital no more than 10 minutes drive to emergency room
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? No preference
Phillies or Mets? M-E-T-S!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM

7,257 posts, read 10,515,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathiwrites View Post
Hello...last year I posted a similar question in the Lehigh Valley forum because we were planning a move to that area. However, while driving through the Pottstown area on our last "exploring" visit to Pennsylvania, we gave a lot of thought to reconsidering our location and would like to know more about Pottstown from those who live there. May I ask those of you who know a lot about the area the following general questions, and you may be helped by the information I'm posting below regarding our housing/lifestyle needs: (1) I've heard that the area from the river north to High Street is to be avoided for safety reasons...is that true? (2) For those who have lived there a long time, why have you stayed; and for those who are recently to the area, what attracted you? (3) The nuke plant--stories? Pros? Cons? (4) We are not religious people but have no problem with those who are; we've been told by friends in the Allentown area that religion is a big part of the social structure in that part of the state and not belonging to a church is a potential problem...any thoughts?

We will be visiting next month and plan to explore specific neighborhoods in anticipation of moving late summer or early fall. Thank you very much for any information you can provide as we put together our research.

Why are you moving? LI is too expensive, too crowded, too difficult to get away from/off of
Have you been here yet? Drove thru late last year; planning to visit again May 2012
Will you buy or rent? Not sure we'll qualify for mortgage, so more likely rent at first
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Open to either, need at least 2 b/r and garage, no more than $150K, fix-up OK if it's just cosmetic
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Anything as long as there's a 1-car garage included in rent and accepts small dog; $1400/month max.
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 19-year-old son will move with us
Restaurants We're not fussy...chain restaurants fine, need a Starbucks and Panera Bread
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? No preference
Welcome to the area, Kathi. I grew up in the vicinity of Pottstown, so I hope I can steer you in the right direction with some insights.

Pottstown is generally a pretty stable, post-industrial town, and generally blue collar in nature. It seems to be attracting a lot of interest from relocatees like yourself due to the very affordable real estate, which has more to do with smaller homes and a not-so-amazing school district (although that does not apply according to your answer).

Nevertheless, I couldn't really tell you to "stay out" of any particular area. Some parts of the town have definitely seen better days and look a bit "sketchy," but by and large you really do not have to worry about your safety.

If I had to direct you to one of the nicest parts of town where you'd find some great value, look into the areas closest to Pottsgrove. The homes may a bit dated, but they are all very solid. You're also going to tend to get some more yard space.

In terms of your other concerns/amenities:

- Supermarkets/Malls should not be a concern -- anything and everything you can think of can be found within a 10-20 minute drive, especially in and around King of Prussia

- The nuke plant is not something anyone brags about being near, but it's still there. It's really a fixture you just get used to; the surrounding municipalities have been prepared for years regarding any possible emergency

- Certainly religious people exist here, as anywhere -- but we're not living in 1950. The area is very religiously diverse -- including non-believers -- and you'll find plenty of opportunities to meet new people without ever having to set foot in a place of worship.

- Pottstown Hospital is right in town, although for major issues, I'd head to Phoenixville Hospital

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Thanks so much for your very informative reply...appreciate you taking the time...we're looking forward to making the move. :-)

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 11,768 times
I moved into the actual city of Pottstown in August of this year coming from "upstate" NY (Near Port Jervis). I came from a much slower more rural area and had many concerns moving here, but have adjusted fine and i love the convienience of it all.

It has some spots that are not the best place to live in what they call the "core area" that is basically the downtown areas of King, Walnut, Chestnut and some of Beech mostly radiating out from about Franklin st in both directions a couple blocks. If you drove around you would likely be able to see where it would be a less enjoyable place to live. I think Chestnut is probably the worst of it. the rest of the city has a few bad eggs here and there like anywhere else in a city but generally crime is usually among the criminals and idiots and really doesnt spread to innocent people here. So if you are not looking for trouble it probably wont find you.

That said, overall I don't feel unsafe and I have driven around just about every inch of town during the daytime and much of it at night, and would not fear breaking down and walking the few blocks home, but like any city things change at night and I think if you were hanging around those above mentioned blocks at 3AM trouble may find you. And again thats just a few city blocks square thats a potential problem. I live about 6-7 blocks away from that area on the North side of the city and things are generally quiet and safe here and I dont worry about the trouble spots "traveling" up from there. Anywhere North of Wilson st is very nice older and some larger houses (many from the 1970's era but some very old ones) and great neighborhoods. Also anywhere outside the city limits is pretty much the same as anywhere else with this much population mostly suburbia.

Other than that it has the normal ups and downs of a small city in a not so great economy. The actual downtown of Pottstown has some empty shops and some new ones. And some occupied and many empty factories from a long gone ere. Some of the downtown stores have been around for decades or more and some are new startups trying to bring a new life to the city. Just outside the city limits, and I mean literally on the edge of the city limits are many stores. I drive about 1/2 of a mile for my Starbucks at the Target mall, right next to the new 12 movie Carmike cinemas and the Best Buy/ Giant (supermarket) shopping center. Closer to the center of town about a little further south is the Weis/ Walmart shopping center. They are currently expanding into a supercenter (the next closest walmart supercenter is whopping 5 miles to the north). Basically within 20 minutes you have your choice of about 12 major grocery stores and several hundred of other retail stores and restaurants. You should try google maps sattelite view for this area and look around.

Now for the internet connection. In the city you are limited to either Verizon DSL at I think 3mb max and the other option, Comcast cable, which has choices of speeds from about 1mb to 120mb. My account actual speeds are generally about 20mb down and 3.5mb up about what my account is supposed to have (triple play for about 120?/month ) Fios is not available anywhere in the city but in some areas generally to the east along the main routes and the closer to Philly the better your odds for Fios. My comcast connection has been fine with no problems I'm just not a fan of the comcast company and their practices.

House prices are like anywhere else these days. there are bargains, but do your homework because if it looks too good to be true it probably is. 150k should get you something decent closer to or in the city in a good neighborhood, getting more expensive as you go out.

$1400 for rent will get you an decent place in a decent neighborhood, , more house in lesser neighborhoods and vice versa, however, I also have a dog and I never knew how hard it was to find a place that allows dogs. That cuts your rental possibilties to about 10% of the listings at best and takes most of the nicest rentals right off the list. It took me 3 months and 6 realtors and a lot of newspapers and Craigslist to find a place and I was not being picky. Found a lot of perfect places at fair prices but NO pets so you want to start looking as soon as you can!

I am not a religious person and have never encountered any issue with it. Never even came up in any discussion with anyone around here, so its not an issue as far as I know, but there are several churches, synogogues and even mosques available to those who want them.

I find the Nuclear plant to be a fine neighbor. in fact, most of the time I use the towers as a guide to know which direction I am headed as they can be seen for many miles. I understand they way they work and the likelyhood of ever having a problem is miniscule. People who fear should simply not live near one, otherwise dont think twice about it. If there ever was a problem the roads would be clogged in 5 minutes and no one would be going anywhere anyway. Too many people to little routes.

In any case I would not hesitate to recommend moving here either in or out of the city limits.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 AM

865 posts, read 1,480,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathiwrites View Post

Hello, and welcome to Pottstown! I have recently bought a house in Pottstown (late last year), and love it here so far. I live in a small area of Pottstown called Stowe, which is only about 2 miles from Pottstown downtown. We have very afforable homes, lower taxes then the borough, part of Pottsgrove schools, and it is pretty quiet here with neighbors who seem either really friendly or keep to themselves (no trouble from neighbors whatsoever). Plenty of amenties are close by, and there is no lack of grocery stores. It's the type of neighborhood where you can walk around, day or night, without fear for your safety.

Speaking of which, I am on a diet and I walk ALL around the neighborhood lately, so if you need any leads on any rentals/homes for sale, I will be glad to provide information. There are some homes in my neighborhood that just recently went on the market for under $150K, and they are all very nice brick 3 bedroom houses that look like they are move in ready. Please feel free to private message me if you need help.

P.S. Closest Starbucks is about 10 miles away unfortunately :-(

Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 11,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
P.S. Closest Starbucks is about 10 miles away unfortunately :-(
There is a Starbucks INSIDE the Target store just to your north in the Upland Square shopping center! I should know, I go there quite often. : ) But it does not have a drive through. Probably only a mile or so from you.

The next closest one is in the Premium Outlets and after that there is a full standalone store on S township line rd in Limerick at that shopping center about. Thats probably the one your are referring to.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 AM

865 posts, read 1,480,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorator View Post
There is a Starbucks INSIDE the Target store just to your north in the Upland Square shopping center! I should know, I go there quite often. : ) But it does not have a drive through. Probably only a mile or so from you.

The next closest one is in the Premium Outlets and after that there is a full standalone store on S township line rd in Limerick at that shopping center about. Thats probably the one your are referring to.
Thank you for the heads up, I had no idea there was a Starbucks in Target!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM

Wonderful information...thanks so much to both of you for taking the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia