Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,930 times

Advertisements

Don't yell at me but Collingswood, NJ is the closest inner ring suburb to Philly. It's even closer to Philly proper than a section like manyunk or NE Philly. It has a great downtown and people jump the speedline for both the restaurants and one of THE BEST Farmers Markets in the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
Don't yell at me but Collingswood, NJ is the closest inner ring suburb to Philly. It's even closer to Philly proper than a section like manyunk or NE Philly. It has a great downtown and people jump the speedline for both the restaurants and one of THE BEST Farmers Markets in the area...

I won't yell at ya gray.. Cause you are right

Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You'll find more information about the NJ suburbs on this forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/ Let's try to keep this thread Philadelphia area centric.
What haha? Sure, posting the link to the SJ subforum is very useful, but your last comment makes no sense. Why further fragment the process for people looking to relocate? The Jersey side burbs are an integral part of the region, and mentioning them does in fact keep the thread "Philadelphia area centric."

Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 PM

108 posts, read 340,219 times
Default Plenty of great little towns near philly

media is awesome. but swarthmore doesn't really have a downtown, and although haddonfield is nice with great schools the taxes will choke you (IMO)...further out..newtown, doylestown, wayne, all great walkable towns.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
What haha? Sure, posting the link to the SJ subforum is very useful, but your last comment makes no sense. Why further fragment the process for people looking to relocate? The Jersey side burbs are an integral part of the region, and mentioning them does in fact keep the thread "Philadelphia area centric."
As long as you had the guts to say it first......I'll go ahead and agree.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
It's coming straight from the horses mouth soug, but you don't want to listen.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 AM

219 posts, read 674,397 times
I agree with those who point out the value of South Jersey towns. Collingswood or Haddonfield or even a quieter town like Rivertown are much more linked to the core region than a town like Doylestown, 30 miles out. But there is a disparity, in that here on the Philadelphia forum, one can argue for New Jersey towns, but you can't argue for Pennsylvania towns or the city itself on the NJ forum... anyone else think that's unfair?

While we're still talking about Pennsylvania suburbs, why not try Cheltenham Twp? It has two downtown areas- a more typically suburban route along Old York Road (but certainly very handsome for a typical suburban shopping strip), and an adorable 'downtown' along Easton. It also borders Jenkintown- the quaintest village center of the surrounding towns. It also has a whopping 5 train stations within its borders, a stellar school system, a wide range of houses, from ranch to mansion, relative affordability, and a college which often hosts interesting events.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
It's coming straight from the horses mouth soug, but you don't want to listen.
Ah, my old friend chasing me through the forums so he can harass me. Let's think about this logically. You always say it's state vs. state, not metro vs. metro. Well then, you should support the post I made. This is a relocation thread. I am trying to promote a NJ town over a PA town for a new resident to move to. That would mean more money spent in NJ, more NJ amenities used, more NJ taxes paid, etc. By your logic, that stands to hurt PA and help NJ. So why the harassment?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
But there is a disparity, in that here on the Philadelphia forum, one can argue for New Jersey towns, but you can't argue for Pennsylvania towns or the city itself on the NJ forum... anyone else think that's unfair?
I see where you are coming from, but this isn't necessarily true though. When someone is looking to relocate and has specific criteria such as a job in Trenton, a job in a specific part of the city, or a family split between a Manhattan job and a Philly job, posters over on that forum often recommend towns on the PA side, such as in Bucks County. You're right though that, at least in the northeast U.S., organizing these forums by state leads to a lot of issues.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
I see where you are coming from, but this isn't necessarily true though. When someone is looking to relocate and has specific criteria such as a job in Trenton, a job in a specific part of the city, or a family split between a Manhattan job and a Philly job, posters over on that forum often recommend towns on the PA side, such as in Bucks County. You're right though that, at least in the northeast U.S., organizing these forums by state leads to a lot of issues.
I make it a point in either forum to recommend towns on the "other side of the river" when applicable, especially when someone plans on working in the city proper. I've never gotten any real grief for doing so, so I'm not sure what PennKid's talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia