Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 7,616 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have recently begun to consider a move to Delaware County. He is originally from Havertown. I'm not too keen on the Havertown area, but we took a drive through Media area this past weekend (Springton Lake, Ridley State Park area). I just loved it! So many things that NJ cannot offer us. Mainly, beautiful scenery, lots of opportunity for outdoor activity-hiking and trail riding are family favorites. When I ask my husband how the school districts are all I get it "there all good, it's not like NJ" Is this true? I guess we would be looking at Rosetree-Media district or Marple Newtown. Would we do just as well in either? We are in a top performing district now. Let me tell you what we're looking for. We've got two boys, ages 8 and 5.

3-4 br Single family home on greater than .5acre
Price range in the 450-550k
Prefer prop taxes <10k
Proximity to good food shopping- I've got Wegman's here.
Larger neighboorhood with good amount of houses. Want my boys to be able to go outside and pick up a friend, ride bikes without having to go near busy street.
Proximity to Blue Rt, as a shorter drive to NJ will be important.

I liked S. Feathering Rd area. Also, plan to go back next weekend and look at Runnymeade Farms-missed that one on our visit.
What other neighborhood would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
I think you will want the area around Newtown Square based on your budget. If you can add another $100,000 then Media would be fine. The schools are pretty good. Not bad, but not the best in the USA either. I have found the worst traffic in the morning is going toward the NE Extension so I think you will be fine on the blue route towards NJ. Taxes are in the 5-7K range.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times
Not sure about Feathering Rd., but the Springton Lake area has million-dollar properties. You might want to try the Rosetree area. Plenty of shopping around and a beautiful park with lots of activities right off Rt. 252. Rosetree is in the Media post office and located just south of Newtown Square.

You might also want to consider the Middletown area, also included in the Media Post Office (19063). There you have gorgeous Linvilla Orchards with lots to do for kids. Fresh fruits and vegetables, too! Several nearby Swim Clubs as well. Now Granite Run mall is no great shakes (except for Boscovs, imo), but right dwon Rt. 1 South about 6 miles is the Britain Lake Shopping area with a "Fresh Grocer" and other upscale shops. Directly across the road (still on Rt.1) is an enormous big box shopping village which includes Home Depot, Target, Homegoods and several restaurants.

Now if you don't mind higher taxes, the Wallingford/Swarthmore School District is probably a bit better than both Rosetree/Media and Marple/Newtown districts. I just moved from that area, but they do have some beautiful homes, two swim clubs and lots of quiet with the center of Media just 2-3 miles North.

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,072 times
Why are you considering leaving Haddonfield? I'm very familiar with both the Delco area and the Haddonfield area. You are right in that Media is more scenic and they have the Ridley State Park. NJ is well, pretty flat in these parts. But Haddonfield is about as quaint a town as one can get. Property taxes are higher in Haddonfield area but they aren't especially low in Media and homes aren't cheap. The Rose-Tree school district is good...but Haddonfield's district would probably be rated higher. So, I suppose I'm curious as to why the desire to leave Haddonfield? What are you looking for that you think you might find on the other side of the river?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Rose Tree Media schools and wallingford/swarthmore both rank higher than haddonfield. Marple newtown is slightly below haddonfield. I dont know why people are saying rose tree is good, but not great. Rose tree school district is one of the top school districts in the state. Media area is a very safe family oriented community, probably the best place to raise a family in the philly suburbs.

It also depends on where you are working. There are other great towns in delco that fit your needs, price range would generally be the same. You are definately going to be on higher side of your range if you want a half acre plus.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
Based on this, Rose Tree Media is higher than Haddonfield, but they are both good enough that it would be a non-factor to me.

The Top 50 School Districts 2008

Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,072 times
I don't have a horse in the race either way ... and kids would do well in any of the aforementioned districts, but is there more recent data available? Four years isn't exactly recent when comparing education stats...especially when so many of the stats are based on test scores and college placement which theoretically could change year to year.

Also, worth noting that the stats listed lump districts as a whole rather than comparing high school to high school or elementary school to elementary school. For instance, it seems Haddonfield district drops b/c of Elementary and Middle schools (I have 0 knowledge of what goes on at these levels). I've heard great things about the H.S. - which according to the link provided above, is ranked 4 in the area. I'm not sure that these ranking matter much though...

Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
I don't have a horse in the race either way ... and kids would do well in any of the aforementioned districts, but is there more recent data available? Four years isn't exactly recent when comparing education stats...especially when so many of the stats are based on test scores and college placement which theoretically could change year to year.

Also, worth noting that the stats listed lump districts as a whole rather than comparing high school to high school or elementary school to elementary school. For instance, it seems Haddonfield district drops b/c of Elementary and Middle schools (I have 0 knowledge of what goes on at these levels). I've heard great things about the H.S. - which according to the link provided above, is ranked 4 in the area. I'm not sure that these ranking matter much though...
that was the last time Philadephia Magazine ranked districts (as opposed to high schools). I think it's directionally accurate, which is all that anyone should be concerned with since, as you said, these rankings don't mean a whole lot. point is, all the districts mentioned in this thread are very good.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 7,616 times
Ok, I get the school thing. It seems they are all very good. I do understand that our budget would need to be about 550k or even higher to do Media. 450k was basically to placate the husband. So, that said, what are there neighborhoods near the park that I should be looking at?

To answer your question, Templeu....yes, Haddonfield is quaint. I have been here for most of my life. Just contemplating a lifestyle change for the benefit of our kids.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmama View Post
Ok, I get the school thing. It seems they are all very good. I do understand that our budget would need to be about 550k or even higher to do Media. 450k was basically to placate the husband. So, that said, what are there neighborhoods near the park that I should be looking at?

To answer your question, Templeu....yes, Haddonfield is quaint. I have been here for most of my life. Just contemplating a lifestyle change for the benefit of our kids.
What about Haddonfield do you find nonbeneficial to your children? Keep in mind that the attitude in similarly situated communities on the PA side of the river is not going to be markedly different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia