Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 7,909 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my brother in law just took a job at the sports complex in Philadelphia. They are relocating there next month from New Jersey. What are some safe areas in the surrounding region/suburbs that would be good for a small family? (kids are toddlers.)

RENTING Budget is ~ $1700/mo to rent.
3 Bedrooms, with small enclosed lawn, no pets.
Looking for balance between safety of neighborhood and ease of commute.
Prefer quiet over bustling area.

He has a car, though I see that the rail runs down to the stadiums. Each way commute of an hour or under preferrable, also not opposed to areas across the NJ border, despite the toll.

My sister is overwhelmed and has no idea where to start so I'm trying to help her out with research. Thank you all in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
So let me get this straight...are they looking for a place in the suburbs? Are they opposed to living in the city?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM

Not opposed to the city assuming the area was safe/clean while still affordable. For what you can get for the money I thought it might be easier to find something up their alley out a ways, but I am clueless about this. Open to all suggestions/help.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,072 times
These are just a few suggestions for burbs. Others can give suggestions for the city (school districts can become an issue).

In NJ: Oaklyn, Audubon, Collingswood (all in Camden County NJ)

In PA: Ridley, Brookhaven, Prospect Park, Norwood, Rutledge, Morton (all in Delaware County PA - which is the PA burb they should probably focus on given price range and commute, if they look outside of the city).

Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM

148 posts, read 276,932 times
Under an hour commute? Wow. North Wilmington, Aston, Media, Garnet Valley... heck.. you could drive to MD in well under an hour. That's a big radius.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 PM

There are a TON of places they could look. In order for us to give you our accurate opinion on which area would best suit them, what do they truly prefer?

-City or suburbs?
-Drive or public transportation?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
Not opposed to the city assuming the area was safe/clean while still affordable. For what you can get for the money I thought it might be easier to find something up their alley out a ways, but I am clueless about this. Open to all suggestions/help.
the neighborhoods by the stadiums are pretty safe

Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the neighborhoods by the stadiums are pretty safe
Agreed. The problem is I do not think there are many rentals in these neighborhoods.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Wow, I am really impressed by the responses here. It is so great to see people willing to help for the sake of helping. Thank you all. I looked into neighborhoods by the stadiums but couldn't find any rentals, sadly.

Summersm343- I honestly think it could go either way, suburbs or city. My brother-in-law works for a corporation and works hours that make me cringe, so the shortest commute possible is best as he has said he wants to spend as much time with his family as possible. I think he has to drive his car a lot for work as well so I imagine public transportation is less of an issue here....will ask tomorrow.

The other side of the equation is my sister is teaching college courses while taking care of two babies, and she really just needs a decent backyard and a good sized home to be comfortable in for once without breaking the bank.

I thought the pickings were pretty slim, but going off what Road Warrior said and others there are so many options...

To narrow it down, what are your top four areas (The closer the better) that are nice and affordable in your opinions? Maybe two in the city and two suburbs to go off of..?

I know it is a lot to ask but as I've never been through the city itself I am really relying on people such as yourselves right now to help me guide them. Thank you so much!!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM

40 posts, read 98,956 times
Huh? There are plenty of 3 bedrooms for rent in that price range in South Philly a few blocks from the stadiums. Where are you looking for rentals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia