Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 11,143 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I am new here and doing a lot of research on where to live when I move. I haven't found a lot of information on realistic commute times, so I thought it might be worth starting a thread to compile some data for the forum. (sticky?)

If you drive a regular route to work or ride SEPTA frequently, please post accurate data on times during rush hour.

I am specifically interested in times involving King Of Prussia to Manayunk/Conshohocken/Mt. Airy/Germantown.

Hopefully this can be a helpful post for newcomers or those moving within the area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 9,862 times
Northern burbs to Center City:
Drive to Ambler station - 10 min
Train to Suburban Station - 33 min (express)
Walk to my office - 7 min
Perfect scenario: 50 min, but I just round it to an hour for waiting at the station or late trains.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensburgh8 View Post
Hi all

I am new here and doing a lot of research on where to live when I move. I haven't found a lot of information on realistic commute times, so I thought it might be worth starting a thread to compile some data for the forum. (sticky?)

If you drive a regular route to work or ride SEPTA frequently, please post accurate data on times during rush hour.

I am specifically interested in times involving King Of Prussia to Manayunk/Conshohocken/Mt. Airy/Germantown.

Hopefully this can be a helpful post for newcomers or those moving within the area.

Thanks
I live in East Mt Airy (near Stenton Ave). I worked in KOP for a few months and found that the best route was the most obvious one (309 to the Tpk, then just a couple of minutes once past the tolls). The cost is the tolls, the benefit is (barring accidents) reliability. Using that route, even during rush hour, was 30-35 minutes. If you're in West Mt Airy, add a few minutes getting to 309.
I tried some alternate routes (76-476-Conshohocken-ridge-etc.) but they always took longer (although they were a good way to see the area - we had just moved to Philly).

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,129,361 times
South Philly->South Philly - walk to work, 2 minutes (i work a block from my house)

3 years ago I was commuting to an industrial park in Sharon Hill. It was an 18 minute ride by motorcycle. When it was raining or too cold there were several different routes I could take. The quickest was taking the subway down to Oregon Ave, then the bus to the airport, then changing buses to get out to Sharon Hill - about 55 minutes door-to-door. The weather had to be really terrible for me to take the bus.

For 6 years before that I was "commuting" to two different offices around Independence Hall. It was a 15 minute bike ride or a 20-30 minute subway ride depending on how long I had to wait for the subway then how long the el transfer took.

The year before that I was commuting out to Chester. In the morning I would normally take the subway up to Suburban Station then the R2 out to Chester. That took just under an hour. In the afternoon I would normally take the 37 bus home because the trains heading back to the city were less frequent. The bus ride was an hour. The walk back to my house was another 10 minutes.

My wife's commute to Center City is a 10 minute bike ride or a 5 minute walk with a 5 minute subway ride then another 5 minute walk. Average about 20 minutes total if you count waiting for the train.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,703,262 times
I walk to work/class in 10 mins

Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 AM

98 posts, read 215,952 times
Roxborough/Manayunk (Manayunk Ave. and Lyceum area) to Broad and Spruce Sts:
Drive via Kelly Drive is about 30 minutes (similar on 76, but this time is less consistent)
Septa 27 bus is about 40 minutes
Bike via river trail to Locust St. is about 40 minutes

Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM

47 posts, read 86,810 times
Conshohocken to Suburban -- 45 mins SEPTA + 10 mins drive to Conshy station

Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
Get up
Walk down 1 flight of stairs
Turn left into the kitchen
Feed the dogs
Make coffee
Watch the Fox Business Channel
4 Mins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia