U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:22 PM

43 posts, read 106,800 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

Went last weekend to check it out, but didn't really find a good fit in the Horsham area. Doylestown was more to my liking, but I may take a position in Philly so that's out. 1/2 hr commute is about all I want to do. Although, I didn't have time to check it out firsthand, from the postings and online videos, I believe Chestnut Hill would be a great alternative. More walkable, parks, a nice downtown area, accessible train. If I do decide on the position in Horsham, Googlemaps shows a 19 min commute. I'm assuming most of the traffic would be heading the opposite direction into Philly? Would $1k/mo for a 1BR rental be reasonable in the area? Thanks again for all your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 02:33 PM

40,001 posts, read 70,709,196 times
Whatever Google Maps tells you about the length of a commute, double it.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:27 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,186,012 times
The additional thing to consider about Chestnut Hill is that you'll pay city wage tax, between 3-4% of your salary, where most suburban communities are more like 1%. If you work in the city, you'll pay it either way.

Regarding commute, it depends on where in Chestnut Hill and where in Horsham. 19 minutes seems optimistic, but you may be within 25 or it may be closer to 40.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:04 PM

I thought the city wage tax was for the Jersey commuters? I have family in Jersey that work in Philly, I know they have to pay it. Everyone pays the tax, even if your mailing address IS Philadelphia? And Maf, it's all up in the air right now until I get back over to see the apartments in person. I just think it's the perfect central area to where I'll need to be either way.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:13 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,316,063 times
Everyone pays the tax who works and/or lives in philadelphia. Chestnut Hill is very nice but the wage tax is a big negative for someone who doesn't work in the city. i think it would be no more than a 30 min commute to Horsham.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM

I believe I saw an ad for an apt rental in Jenkintown that stated no wage tax. Is there a website where I can go to verify the percentages for the individual towns?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,316,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbound View Post
I believe I saw an ad for an apt rental in Jenkintown that stated no wage tax. Is there a website where I can go to verify the percentages for the individual towns?
You can look up local tax for each municipality using this link. Jenkintown is 1%, which is what most municipalities have. Generally, half goes to the municipality and half goes to the school district.

Municipal Statistics Tax Reports

Last edited by Angus215; 05-21-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 PM

24 posts, read 49,732 times
I lived in Willow Grove (suburb) while working in the city and you still pay city wage tax. In return, my Willow Grove wage tax (1%) was waived because they credit what you pay to Philadelphia. If you live in Philly and work there too, you pay a higher rate (about 0.5% higher).

Bottom line, if you work in Philly, you pay city hall. Here is their tax link: City of Philadelphia | Revenue Department
But, you said that you travel a lot so here is the good news: if you are a non-resident, the wage tax on any work that your perform outside of Philly is refundable at the end of the tax year. The form can be found on the Philly website above.

I work with folks who live in Jersey and they deduct their city wage tax from their state tax.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 AM

Thanks Angus and Tripp for the great advice. It definitely changes things up a bit. The good thing is, I still have a bit of time before I have to make any permanent decision.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM

201 posts, read 276,961 times
Default Wage tax

So, based on what I read here, if you work in Horsham, which has a 1% tax for non-resident workers, then to the extent you live in a county that only has a 1% resident tax, that is credited somehow, correct? So working in Horsham, you would only pay 1% so long as you live in a district that does not have more than a 1% tax. Is this correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia