Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM

27 posts, read 56,172 times

Advertisements

Sound reasonable? or might it be like, "what the hell are the white folks moving in for?". I think it sounds like a reasonable move considering our budget. I'm okay with being the one white family. In fact it'd be an opportunity to teach cultural sensitivity and understanding to our 2 baby children. My wife wonders if we might experience unfriendly vibes. On the fence with this hypothetical...opinions? We're thinking west of 60th south of Catherine area..Gentle now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allarevessels View Post
Sound reasonable? or might it be like, "what the hell are the white folks moving in for?". I think it sounds like a reasonable move considering our budget. I'm okay with being the one white family. In fact it'd be an opportunity to teach cultural sensitivity and understanding to our 2 baby children. My wife wonders if we might experience unfriendly vibes. On the fence with this hypothetical...opinions? We're thinking west of 60th south of Catherine area..Gentle now....
Let me just say I;m black and would never want to move to Cobbs Creek-lol Hope everything works out ok for you and your family.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Right, over all, what I've seen of the Cobbs Creek area looks kind of rough. But there's a cluster of blocks around christian to the north and Baltimore to south and west of 60th that looks really nice-trees and nice houses. I wonder if this is a diverse and friendly area...

Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Right, over all, what I've seen of the Cobbs Creek area looks kind of rough. But there's a cluster of blocks around christian to the north and Baltimore to south and west of 60th that looks really nice-trees and nice houses. I wonder if this is a diverse and friendly area...
By West Philly standards, Cobbs Creek is not bad. (Note the qualifier that West Philly indeed has more challenged than thriving neighborhoods.) Hard to say if you'll be welcome with open arms or seen as the harbinger of gentrification and higher rents/property taxes. If you're looking for a diverse, working-class city environment, you may want to consider Overbrook, a community just a few miles north of Cobbs Creek.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,784 times
I used to reside there back in the early- late 70's. Had family & great friends. Many who've been life long friends, but probably 90% of them have relocated for different pastures. Last time I was in Philly I visited a few people who still reside in the area but it's a lot different than it was.

I really don't know how you picked that area but I am sure you can do better. You're teaching your kids diversity? So you decided to move to S. 60th street to do it? Okay I bit... ;-)

Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
I don't think moving into a neighborhood that's as homogeneously black as many suburbs are homogeneously white is really going to accomplish what you're looking for.

A better idea would be to look to areas that actually are diverse, like University City or Mount Airy. Upper Darby would work well too.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I don't think moving into a neighborhood that's as homogeneously black as many suburbs are homogeneously white is really going to accomplish what you're looking for.

A better idea would be to look to areas that actually are diverse, like University City or Mount Airy. Upper Darby would work well too.
University City...YES

Upper Darby......NO

Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
University City...YES

Upper Darby......NO
I agree Upper Darby isn't ideal, but it's affordable and all kinds of steps up from Cobbs Creek.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:42 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I agree Upper Darby isn't ideal, but it's affordable and all kinds of steps up from Cobbs Creek.
I would agree. Some might call Upper Darby "West Philly lite" which is a backhanded compliment at best. But there are an increasing number of West Philadelphians who moved there for a better life and/or were simply priced out.

University City is great although a working-class salary may leave you on the western fringes in a situation similar to or more challenging than Cobbs Creek.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM

I wasn't suggesting we'd move to Cobbs Creek to teach our kids diversity. I was pointing out a possible upside to moving into a non-diverse, mostly african american neighborhood because of being priced out of nicer, more diverse west philly/univerity city. We rent here but want to buy. Trying to figure out were to go with the little money we have, and still keep it nice-ish. I'm beginning to think that the gentrification will be creeping out to the low 50's, south of Baltimore. I've seen some white folks and a new liberal-pioneer farm at 51st and chester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia