Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,186 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've recently accepted a job at UPenn and will relocate to Philly in July. I'd like to find a place in the city that has an urban feel but that I don't necessarily feel jumpy walking around at night. Some places I've lived before that I really like the feel of are Takoma Park, MD and Madison, WI. I'm a big fan of biking and bike commuting, so any good information on that would be helpful. My ideal place to live is a peaceful sanctuary at the end of the day, but accessible to bars, shopping (and hopefully Trader Joe's! ). Thanks in advance for suggestions!

When are you moving? July
Where are you coming from? Madison, WI
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working? UPenn
Have you been here yet? visited briefly for interview

Will you buy or rent? rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? prefer apartment, but any is fine. Prefer to spend less than $1200
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? no preference

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? n/a
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? no a priority, but balcony would be nice
Are you keeping a car? probably
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? quiet, but close to shops/stores, ect.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work- high priority
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? prefer diversity, but also like to meet people from similar backgrounds

Coke or Pepsi? Diet Coke all the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
You would probably like Penn's own University City neighborhood. You'd probably want to look west of 43rd Street to avoid the majority of students. In this area, you're just as likely to rent an apt in a converted house as you are in a building. With your budget, you could easily afford a 2BR most anywhere (save the shiny newer high-rises). The 40th St corridor bordering the campus may be the social hub but there restaurants and bars on Baltimore Avenue as well. UC does border some more challenged neighborhoods in West Philly...and of course you are indeed in the city, so "stuff happens". But if you stay south of Walnut St., east of 48th and north of Chester Ave., you should be fine.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:01 AM

187 posts, read 350,376 times
If you want to bike to work (no reason why you can't and shouldn't if you want to!), I think one of your best bets would be University City (West Philly a little farther away from downtown Penn). For about $1000, you can get a really nice one bedroom in University City in Spruce Hill or the Clark Park vicinity. I would say stay west of 42nd street so you avoid the Penn undergraduate crowd. Anywhere near Clark Park is nice. Chestnut and Market are kind of industrial in this area so stay south of there as the previous poster mentioned. If you google the "Penn Alexander Catchment" area you will see where all the young professionals want to buy a house and send their kids to elementary school. It is not the only nice area though so you can go a little west of it, you will also find beautiful victorian twin homes and the occasional apartment building (this area has more of a suburban feel, using the best sense of the word). Baltimore Ave between 45th and 50th is a very eclectic, mixed shopping/restaurant district that I personally love.

Another option is the southwest area in Center City on the other side of the Schuykill River (specifically, the areas around Rittenhouse Square, Fitler Square and Graduate Hospital). It would be a pretty easy bike commute over the South Street bridge. This is more in the middle of the action with more young people and a mix of types of buildings from townhouses to high rises. It would be a little more expensive than University City but I'm sure you could find some good places in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia