Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 AM

44 posts, read 78,903 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am most likely going to be moving to Philadelphia in late June. My new office is going to be near 5th and Chestnut. I am a 29 year old single woman, and I need to look for apartments in a safe area, preferably with rent no more than $850, that would be a relatively simple commute to work. I have a car. I would like to live near a big grocery store. (I did not see any of those while I was there; do they exist in Philly?) I have been told University City, South Philly, and Manayunk would be nice. Any suggestions? I have been looking on Craigslist for days Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily729 View Post
Hello,

I am most likely going to be moving to Philadelphia in late June. My new office is going to be near 5th and Chestnut. I am a 29 year old single woman, and I need to look for apartments in a safe area, preferably with rent no more than $850, that would be a relatively simple commute to work. I have a car. I would like to live near a big grocery store. (I did not see any of those while I was there; do they exist in Philly?) I have been told University City, South Philly, and Manayunk would be nice. Any suggestions? I have been looking on Craigslist for days Thank you!
Manayunk would give you a decently long commute to work as it is in the Northwest part of the city. I would check out University City and South Philly.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Manayunk would give you a decently long commute to work as it is in the Northwest part of the city. I would check out University City and South Philly.
What would the commute be like? Is there direct public transportation from Manayunk to the city?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
$850 won't get you anything in that area

check out south philly

or chinatown? it will prolly be a tight space

Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily729 View Post
What would the commute be like? Is there direct public transportation from Manayunk to the city?
The Manyaunk/Norristown Line Regional Rail train gets you downtown in about 25 minutes (Manayunk is a neighborhood within the city limits). Drops you off at about 10th and Market - you can then get on the Market Frankford Line which runs every 5 minutes during rush hour, get off at 5th and Market, and walk a block.

SEPTA | Regional Rail Schedules

The route 61 bus serves Main Street in Manayunk, and then goes through North Philadelphia to get into Center City - takes a couple of minutes longer. Would drop you off at 9th and Chestnut - walk 4 blocks or take any number of buses down chestnut if you don't want to walk.

SEPTA | Bus Schedules

And then there are several other buses which serve the area too - most of which stop at the Wissahickon Transportation Center.

There are big grocery stores around. University City has a Fresh Grocer at 40th and Walnut, there's another store further west on walnut, can't think of the name. The farmers market is quite popular in Clark Park. South Philly has a bunch - Acme, Shoprite, Superfresh, Pathmark, Shoprite. Manayunk...I don't believe has one, but Roxborough has several just next door, and assuming you'll use your car, won't be a problem. Center City has Superfreshes, whole foods, trader joes, some independent ones as well. One thing you might find (I know I did) is that you might start relying less on the big grocery stores. There are lots of other quality options.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The Manyaunk/Norristown Line Regional Rail train gets you downtown in about 25 minutes (Manayunk is a neighborhood within the city limits). Drops you off at about 10th and Market - you can then get on the Market Frankford Line which runs every 5 minutes during rush hour, get off at 5th and Market, and walk a block.

SEPTA | Regional Rail Schedules

The route 61 bus serves Main Street in Manayunk, and then goes through North Philadelphia to get into Center City - takes a couple of minutes longer. Would drop you off at 9th and Chestnut - walk 4 blocks or take any number of buses down chestnut if you don't want to walk.

SEPTA | Bus Schedules

And then there are several other buses which serve the area too - most of which stop at the Wissahickon Transportation Center.

There are big grocery stores around. University City has a Fresh Grocer at 40th and Walnut, there's another store further west on walnut, can't think of the name. The farmers market is quite popular in Clark Park. South Philly has a bunch - Acme, Shoprite, Superfresh, Pathmark, Shoprite. Manayunk...I don't believe has one, but Roxborough has several just next door, and assuming you'll use your car, won't be a problem. Center City has Superfreshes, whole foods, trader joes, some independent ones as well. One thing you might find (I know I did) is that you might start relying less on the big grocery stores. There are lots of other quality options.

Thanks for all the info! I looked at the schedules, and it seems like it would be comparable to my commute now in Pittsburgh. Of course, I have to learn a whole new system!

Thank you also for letting me know about the grocery stores. I learned that there are a lot of independant markets in Philly, so I will probably shop at both. I am so excited to be making this transition, but so scared at the same time

I also want to look at South Philly; would I be able to just walk to work from there? What's the parking situation like there? I have two friends that live there now, and they have told me horror stories about the parking...any way to score an apt with a parking lot??

Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Yes you will be able to walk to work if you live close enough to Center City in South Philly... the southern border of Center City is South Street.... you could be able to find a place with a parking lot or a parking garage but it may be more expensive.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
I live in Center City and use my car to shop in any one of 6 large super markets in southwest and southeast south Philadelphia. You can get to any of them by freeway in 10 or 15 minutes. The Pennsport neighborhood in South Philly near the Ikea is a nice affordable neighborhood close to shopping of all kinds. A bus would get you close to work.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:20 AM

98 posts, read 215,894 times
i'm not all that familiar with current rents, but i would suggest checking out the pennsport neighborhood of south philly. pretty much east of 4th street and south of washington ave. pretty quick bike ride to 5th and chestnut. italian market, acme, and the shopping centers off columbus blvd. are all close.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 AM

98 posts, read 215,894 times
also, Septa's 9 bus is a pretty easy commute from roxborough right down to 5th and chestnut. if you look in manayunk a little further up the hill closer to ridge ave. than main st. this is also a nice safe neighborhood wth easy access to groceries and the wissahickon section of fairmount park. top notch if you are into hiking, cycling/mtb, etc. college students seem to be moving out this week so it's probably a good time to look at places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia