Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,519 times

Advertisements

In looking for a new apartment I've found a place that is the ideal size/price, and it's right the 600 block of South Street. I've lived in Philly for a few years in CC and feel quite safe in most areas of the city, so I'm a little more worried about noise etc. I haven't spent a ton of time around the nightlife on south so I'm not too sure just how rowdy it gets and how late it goes on on weekdays vs. weekends, or if it's only really bad at greek week and so on... Anybody lived there and tolerated it, or not? Anything else unique to living on south st? I don't mind noise toooo much, and stay up 'til 1 or so most nights as it is, but curious if anybody has some insight. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:34 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,015,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seltz View Post
In looking for a new apartment I've found a place that is the ideal size/price, and it's right the 600 block of South Street. I've lived in Philly for a few years in CC and feel quite safe in most areas of the city, so I'm a little more worried about noise etc. I haven't spent a ton of time around the nightlife on south so I'm not too sure just how rowdy it gets and how late it goes on on weekdays vs. weekends, or if it's only really bad at greek week and so on... Anybody lived there and tolerated it, or not? Anything else unique to living on south st? I don't mind noise toooo much, and stay up 'til 1 or so most nights as it is, but curious if anybody has some insight. Thanks.
Up until a week ago I lived a couple of blocks away and it's a great neighborhood, I already miss it. However there is a huge difference between a couple of blocks away and living directly on the street. I often worked late and would walk right past the 600 block of south street on my way home, on most nights it's reasonably quiet.

HOWEVER, on a weekend night, when the weather is nice, the street can get insanely crowded and obviously quite loud. There no way around it, living on south street noise will be an issue. But hey that's why there's air conditioning, shut the windows and let that baby hum and drown out the noise. It's a great place to live IMHO. Living a couple blocks away it wasn't even an issue... living right on top of it will certainly be an issue, but you seem to understand this and seem prepared. I do not think the issue is big enough of to make me not want to live there, if the price is right I say go for it.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,025 times
I used to live there twice. Once at 13th and South - hated it. However that was before the high rise projects were torn down, so I'm sure it's better now. The other time at 17th and South - much better. My partner lived at 3rd and South across from O'Neal's and hated it due to the noise - loud music, loud motorcycles, loud drunk people.

Personally, I would never live on the east side of South again. The west side is great though.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,757 times
Yeah, I lived a few blocks from south on 2nd and Fitzwater a couple years ago. Around this time of year it gets really noisy on South St. There's no way around it unfortunately unless you soundproof your apartment. We live on Baltimore Ave. now and it can get noisy. Like phillies2011 said, just turn on your AC and close the windows its about all you can do.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 9,519 times
Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I expected to hear, I was really most interested if it's an every night kind of thing or mostly on weekends. As long as the noise isn't an all night thing and tapers off after midnight on the weekdays I'd be ok.

Also the 600 block has no bars on it which I thought might help with the noise. Not sure if that's true though?

Also, Anybody noticed if those curfews they enacted last fall changed anything? Are they even enforced anymore?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
6th and south is as bad as it gets...i don't even hang around to watch for curfews

south st is treated like a toilet...people subway/drive in and think it's ok to act the fool
i live a few blocks away and i've always felt bad for people who actually have a residence on that street

if you can, i suggest spending a weekend in apt around 6th & South

Old 06-03-2012, 06:36 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
We have friends at 13th & South who regret it. It's a big city with lots of apartments. There is a always reason why the price is "ideal" (to use the OP's words). Trust your instincts and don't move to place where you even have to question if you''ll like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia