Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,785 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a Marylander that travels to Philly each Sunday night for school and then home for the weekend on Friday afternoons. Unfortunately, because of the availability of our professors, we almost never get out before 3:30pm or 4:00pm on Fridays. Right when I get out of class, I make my way to 309 north (4 miles), then 276 west (4 miles), then 476 south (20 miles to I-95 south).

And let me tell you, this is the most dreaded part of my week. Traversing the 20 miles on 476 south to reach 95 south. It can take anywhere from 45-90 minutes. As of late, I have been reaching 476 and it is practically at a 5 or 10 mph crawl. Even on some rare afternoons where we might get out at 2:15pm or 2:30pm, this route can take 30-50 minutes. It sucks spending that long on only 20 miles. It was better in the winter, when not as many people traveled -- but since several months ago when the weather started warming, travel on this road has been abysmal.

Is there any alternate route to I-95 south beginning from 276 west or 309 north that would be decently moving during Friday afternoon rush hour? I'm willing to use back roads or anything, even extend my trip by 10-15 miles if it means I can simply keep my car moving forward, haha.

Also, does anyone know approximately what time the horrible rush hour on I-476 ends? I would prefer not to start my trip later because I like to get home by dinner, but if it saves me the heartache of 476 I may consider it.

Thanks for the input -- much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:52 AM

184 posts, read 370,355 times
guessing that 276 west to 202 south into Delaware wouldn't be much better?

Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discndav View Post
Going into Delaware in the summer on a Friday afternoon is, to quote Steve Cobert, "like pouring marbles into a funnel". I think he was referring to the Lincoln Tunnel, but it's the same idea.....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,762 times
In my experience traffic southbound on the Blue Route (476) eases around exit 5 (Rt 1) because it's down to a consistent two lanes. (No more lane drops/adds.) Does that hold on Friday afternoons too? Because if it does...

You might want to try starting south on 309, cutting across Mt. Airy to Lincoln Drive, then taking City Ave/Route 1 to 476 (or stay on Rt 1 until 202 South)? You'll hit a lot of traffic lights, but maybe there's some consistency that makes it worth a try?

Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discndav View Post
On Friday afternoon? Definitely not.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
I think the whole section of the Blue Route is just horrible on Friday afternoons, and it get's worse the closer you get to I-95 because of the beach/shore traffic. I try to travel that area either very early in the morning or very late in the evening. And the reason the traffic is so bad is because the alternative roads are very much secondary roads that meander through towns. Hence, the whole reason they built the Blue Route. Mid-County Expressway-Blue Route (I-476)
Quote:
The highway would not only allow traffic to bypass the city of Philadelphia, but also take traffic off less direct local roads such as PA 252, PA 320 and PA 420. These narrow roads were laid as early as the 1680's by some of Pennsylvania's earliest settlers, who placed them midway between the creeks that flowed south to the Delaware River for the convenience of farmers who settled along the streams.
Any chance you could take the train or the Bolt or Mega bus? I can't imagine doing that drive twice a week.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:11 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,670 times
476 is pretty aweful. you could take 276 east to rt 1 to wookhaven rd to 95 south. might be better during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: