Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 PM

25 posts, read 43,445 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a house in Swarthmore and came across a house we really
like in neighboring Rutledge. A few people I talked to said that Rutledge is a conservative,working class area. It seems so odd to me that it could be such a flip side to
Swarthmore , being right next to it. Is it really so cut and dry like that or is it a mix of conservatives and liberals. It's very tempting as its in the same school district yet the taxes are much lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,363 times
No, it's not cut & dry like that. There are a mix of people everywhere. If you were taking a poll maybe you'd find more "liberals" in Swarthmore and more "conservatives" in Rutledge, but the two communities touch and all go to Wallingford-Swarthmore schools (including Swarthmore-Rutledge Elementary). Swarthmore Ave isn't THAT big of a dividing line, and you can hang out with whomever you choose!

Rutledge generally has smaller homes that are closer together than what you'll find in Swarthmore. Also, in my experience there are a lot of families in Rutledge who grew up in the area and never left. (This is true of Swarthmore too, but seems to be a lesser extent.) Does that breed more "conservative" views? I dunno.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM

Thank you for replying PVB! This house that I like is a big,old victorian on a 1/4 acre. Just my style!
We are currently in the Passyunk Square area of South Philly. And While I do swing more to the liberal side, I do love that our neighbors are a mix up of all types...liberals, conservatives, working class, young professionals, families,teachers, artists,and same sex couples all living and getting along in the same community. It's a nice balance. And I was hoping to get into a similar climate.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM

364 posts, read 732,253 times
I don't think I'd be so quick to say that Rutledge is so similar to Swarthmore. Sure, you're just across Morton Ave, but you're right between Folsom and Morton. If you are attracted to Swarthmore due to its small-town feel with residents who tend to be of the granola-liberal persuasion with a healthy dose of insular culture, with tree-lined streets, you're in for a rude surprise. In Rutledge you're going to be living among Ted the HVAC Repairman With A Big F150 and his house that hasn't been remodeled in 40 years and his son, Nate who drives the Rusting-Civic-With-Loud-Ass-Fart-Pipe.

Put it this way: you'll probably be neighbors with the type that think a good weekend is hitting up the Irish Bar on Friday, taking a stroll on the Harley on Saturday, and having a drunken bonfire Saturday night instead of the Swarthmorians who might take a weekend trip to a winery or low-key Delaware beach.

I wouldn't say that Morton Ave is a dividing line. It has more to do with Swarthmore being a small town with an insular culture that has somehow kept afloat despite the surrounding areas, which aren't necessarily bad but are at least stereotypically Delco.

What are your social goals? It sounds like you would fit into the area OK. I would only caution you from living in Rutledge if your goal is to become some sort of socialite in Swarthmore or if you really want to integrate into the neighborhood. The townies can be very standoffish about your social status, including where you live. But if you're in it for the schools, good on ya, although Ridley really isn't that bad.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:21 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,347,989 times
I think that Rutledge is a lovely town with a genuine mix of people. I know both a contractor and an Ivy-educated architect who lives there. That said, if the Wal-Swarth School District is what you interested in, you should be aware that a portion of Rutledge is assigned to the Ridley District which is a very different vibe. Have you checked out Media which is a stone's throw from Swarthmore with more shopping and a truly great mix of people?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:02 AM

364 posts, read 732,253 times
What would you say the Ridley School District vibe is? A curious alumni begs to know.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 AM

Ha ha, funny response Mcguirk! I must say , I really do love that granola/liberal vibe...but I also love living with Joe the plumber on my block. What I love about living in the city, is that mix of social status. And where else but in the city, can you go to a street fest and be entertained by a Mexican transvestite playing the banjo?
But we really do crave more green space and a quieter atmosphere. Plus we really love the schools in the Walingford/Swarthmore district!

Soulserv- We have looked at a few houses in Media...in the Pine Ridge area that is in the W/S school district.
We're just trying to figure out which area would work best for us. Being city folk, walkability is big. Which is one of the things we like about Swarthmore. And we also love all the big trees!
We still have a little time to make a decision.

By the way, anybody know of good skate parks or areas for kids to ride BMX bikes? My older son is heavily into
BMX riding and is worried there wont be any places for him to ride.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
What would you say the Ridley School District vibe is? A curious alumni begs to know.
As I indicated: vastly different from that of Wallingford-Swarthmore. It is highly homogeneous, whereas Wal-Swar is much more diverse; largely conservative; significantly lower in ranking and test scores. If these things matter to the OP (and they surely do not to everyone), than it was worth a mention. So...what year did you graduate?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GANGOF5 View Post

Soulserv- We have looked at a few houses in Media...in the Pine Ridge area that is in the W/S school district.
We're just trying to figure out which area would work best for us. Being city folk, walkability is big. Which is one of the things we like about Swarthmore. And we also love all the big trees!
We still have a little time to make a decision.
If walkability is a primary aim, as well as diversity, then I would keep chipping away at Media. The section you visited in Pine Ridge is INSANE with taxes because it is in the Wal-Swar District (which I neglected to mention in my last post). The main drag in Media has a nice Trader Joe's, various ethnic restaurants, artsy gift and boutique stores, a restored theatre and a few old-fashioned dsicount stores like Deals. I was close to putting in an offer on a house you would have loved because it was like living in a TREE HOUSE@!! Check out the areas around Rosemary Circle on Zillow sometime.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 PM

Soulsurv, I do love the main drag you are talking about. And when we were first looking into the area we were first drawn to Media Borough. But when I tried to get a tour of the High school with my son , I got the run around from the school administration. I was given several numbers to call to see if it could be arranged but no one ever called me back.
But the administration of Strath Haven H S were very accommodating. We were able to get a tour right away! And the same with the elementary school. So based on that we decided to stick with the Walingford Swarthmore school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia