Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 27,551 times

Advertisements

Doylestown is kinda quaint if you're into that sort of thing. Around Doylestown is really rural, along with a McMansion every quarter mile or so. Personally, I always feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere when I'm out there, but I guess if your a country person it's not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 22,676 times
Had you considered South Jersey? If you're working in Center City the commute (as was mentioned by another responder) can be a nightmare. I have a friend that moved to South Jersey specifically because of the commute from Lansdale to Center City. South Jersey has two high speed lines (one in Camden County and the other in Burlington County) that can take you to center city Philly. The commute can be less than 30 minutes, very nice 4 Bedroom homes much less than $500K with Blue Ribbon Schools. If you've still got family in North Jersey you can commut by the turnpike or 295 for visits etc. But of course if the job ends up in Montgomery or Bucks county you don't want to live in South Jersey.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 8,441 times
Default Philly Suburbs

I can say that I have lived in southern Bucks and Middle Bucks County. I have gone to school and now work in Montgomery County.

Places in Bucks:
Langhorne- Neshaminy School District, malls, movies, restaurants, doctors, plenty of stores. District is a good one- I went, worked, and student taught here- there are a few blue ribbon schools. There is a SEPTA train line that runs right into Philly as well and is about a 40 minute or so commute from the three Langhorne stations. I grew up here and LOVED it!

Doylestown- I agree with the person who wrote about Doylestown. Central Bucks School District is I think either the 2nd or 3rd largest in the state. A great district too. The teachers FIGHT to get into it! About an hour ride into the city, great history, near many places of interest- Lahaska, New Hope, Allentown- only for Dorney Park, and of course Philly.

Sellersville area- Pennridge School District- a good one. Quiet, off of Route 309, about an hour into Philly. Near a mall and some stores.

Places in Montgomery County-
Ambler- Upper Dublin and Wissahickon School Districts. Small town with towns such as Maple Glen and Upper Dublin surrounding it. It has a satellite campus of Temple (My alum) and a small, but very nice, downtown area.

Limerick- Besides the power plant- it is a great town with houses popping up! I work in the town in the local school district- Spring-Ford Area SD. I LOVE it! A great school district with great staff. It is an upcoming area too. Routes 422, 113, 73, 29, 100 surround this area.

Schwenksville- quiet, hilly, upcoming, historical, and a small ski resort in area. It is Perkiomen Valley School District.

Harleysville- many nice houses in all ranged lie here. Souderton Area School District. Close to Philly. Routes 476 (Northeast Extension), 113, 309, 73 are close to this area.

Blue Bell- Wissahickon School District. A nice place- houses in all ranges. Close to Philly- you can take back roads to get into the town near the Art Museum. Close to 202, Germantown Pike, Turnpike.

There are many other areas, but I hope that these have at least helped you.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 PM

10 posts, read 63,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce65 View Post
Try Conshohocken. Hard to spell but nice place to live. Not far from Philly at all. My sister-in-law and her family live there and I like to visit them because it's so quiet and peaceful.
Not to mention the property taxes are much lower than the other areas you listed. Its close to philly and close to the train station into the city. Conshy is very nice area. Schools are good too there.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 63,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Harleysville/Lansdale is a great area. Low crime, very close to the PA Turnpike, one hour train ride to downtown Philly and a good school district.

the closeness to the turnpike is a plus. Limerick is going to be a horrendous commute. Many problems on the 422 commute. Always backed up and known for many accidents.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
Doylestown is great and Bucks county in general; Haverford and Bryn Mawr are cool too.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM

16 posts, read 106,202 times
Schwenksville is fine. I have lived here for 8 years and love it. Great school district, Perk Vally, safe, quiet, low taxes. A bear of a commute to Philly though. We paid $150,000 for our house 8 years ago. I could sell for over $300,000. We're moving back the mid-west , due to job transfer. Will miss my home and neighbors very much. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:46 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,667 times
I know someone who lives in Southampton and goes to Center city and he said the commute was horrendous..takes him longer than an hour on a good day. I am confused when people say that Doylestown would only be an hour..It is further north than Southampton...is there another way to get into the city? We are moving to the area and we crossed Doylestown off our list because we want to be under an hour commute and thought that it would be way too long. ????

Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Apparently Pete (the op) decided not to follow up on his question that started this thread in September of '06. I'm not sure why it got resurrected every couple of months but it sure doesn't look like he cares.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:08 PM

254 posts, read 809,976 times
Hey, No one ever mentioned Warrington? I loved it there when I lived there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia