U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 AM

35 posts, read 24,381 times

Advertisements

I think that you should check out Collegeville. Great School Districts and nice housing. Alot of stuff is close together, my aunt lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBrotherlyKilling View Post
I think that you should check out Collegeville. Great School Districts and nice housing. Alot of stuff is close together, my aunt lives there.
I grew up in Fairview Village (right outside Collegeville) There is no public transportation to speak of, and very little for kids to do unless they are into organized sports or something.

There are still nice greens spaces pout there, and affordable housing, but it really is the sticks (but not as bad as some others ....)

Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 21,126 times
To each his own Philly Jazz!
Sorry Fairview Village wasn't to your liking but in all fairness most folks from there aren't hanging about in Collegeville very much - its even a different school district.

My family and I have been living in Phoenix, AZ for the past 10 long years and we cannot wait to get back to the Collegeville, Trappe, Skippack area where we lived the previous 10 years..(Also lived in Horsham Township, Allentown and Lansdale) Perkiomen Valley School District was great and has only gotten better! The organized sports - the same thing. Great churches that are really active in the community!! I could go on forever (easy access shopping, medical care,etc) And it has still retained the feeling of a small town. Come to the local events some time!! We have kept many dear friends in the area and visit often so we are up on traffic etc.- which is everywhere unless you are out in rural Berks, or lancaster Counties. It was a GREAT place for our kids to spend a lot of their growing years. They are in college now - one is just starting a doc deg at Lehigh and the other has been on the phone and net arranging to transfer to Montgomery County Community College - which is close by and one of the best CCs in the Country!! they've both been bugging us to move back for several years!!
We work out of our home and could live anywhere in the US and we are moving back to Collegeville -Trappe- Skippack area!! Sunny skys and warm winters are meaningless if there is no feeling from the community that you belong. You will get that in C-ville with only a little effort on your part!!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 PM

12,768 posts, read 28,914,075 times
The thread that would not die..... The person that opened this thread has not posted since he wrote his question in SEPTEMBER of 2006. Not saying that the responses aren't interesting but it might save you time if you looked at the opening post and then found out if the poster still cared.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 21,126 times
Toobusytoday,

YOU are perusing this OLD Thread aren't you???? Posts are not only for the edification of the original poster but for ANYONE else interested in the topic. Did we get up on the wrong side of the bed today

Cheers!
MERF

Old 08-31-2007, 02:30 PM

12,768 posts, read 28,914,075 times
not today... last week There was no one else asking questions. If anyone cares about the area's mentioned they would have started a similar thread, don't you think? Oh, no I added another post, now this thread really won't go away. Help! BTW Merf, your older son at Lehigh is very close to me - good choice in colleges!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 16,297 times
pete did you move

Old 12-23-2007, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 68,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
not today... last week There was no one else asking questions. If anyone cares about the area's mentioned they would have started a similar thread, don't you think? Oh, no I added another post, now this thread really won't go away. Help! BTW Merf, your older son at Lehigh is very close to me - good choice in colleges!
The thread that wouldn't die comes back to life again!! Just so folks know, it doesn't really matter if the OP goes away... others are doing the research and are often encouraged to "search" first. This is a thread that speaks to my needs. So I appreciate that others took the time to "chime in" and add to it. It really helped me.

DH has been offered the position and has accepted. He reports Jan. 2. I now have to sell our house in VA. and plan a move. I have researched quite a bit and feel overwhelmed because there is so much available... at the same time I know I have missed something : )

here's our deal if anyone else wants to chime in:

DH will be working downtown in Center City. He is willing to commute (doesn't mind driving) by car and/or by train. His company pays for him to have a parking space in the building so he will drive....

Dear Son is 10 and will be in the 5th grade. I will probably not work in the beginning... We want to keep the price of the home in the lower 400's. It is important to us that we have a nice community, preferably one with community activities. We would want an association pool or community pool that one can join fairly easily, that has a recreation Swim Team. We don't need to be in the middle of things, but like easy access to shopping, movies, etc.

If you have any suggestions, we would love to hear them.

Thanks, I truly appreciate your help.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,753 times
Movingtophillie - first of all welcome, second, FYI, it's Philly

You might want to look in New Jersey. I would suggest Moorestown (named as best place to live by Money Magazine in 2005)

http://www.moorestown.com/community/

or Haddonfield.

http://www.haddonfieldnj.org/

They are both close to center city Philly and on the days your husband doesn't want to drive into the city (which may be quite often), he can take a train called the high speed line and will be here in about 20 minutes.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:16 PM

18 posts, read 68,009 times
Thanks newmarlig, I figured that out too late, name is mine now : )

We drove over to Moorestown when he was up there interviewing. Loved it!! but it felt like the prices of homes were over the 500k mostly.... unless you went for a smaller brink ranch type home... If I am wrong, please let me know. It is a beautiful town.

Didn't get to see too much of haddonfield.

I will click on both your links and take a look. Thanks again.

Phillie!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or