Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,820 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering a transfer to the Philly area, the job would be in Plymouth Meeting. We are an older couple with young children. We don't want a long commute, and would like to be within 30 minute commute to school. We do not want to be in a snobby area, but we want a safe area. We really want to be in a family oriented community. I'm a laid back hippy type former professional person not interested in keeping up with the joneses. My focus is raising my daughters. I'm getting such mixed info on the area, I don't know if it will be a good fit, so I'm doing lots of reading now to make the most of our visit next month.

When are you moving? This Fall, most likely
Where are you coming from? Rural area near Louisville, KY (Both of us have lived all over US, originally from Midwest suburbs)
Why are you moving? transfer, wanting a change
Where will you be working? Plymouth Meeting
Have you been here yet? Long time ago

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House. That depends on several things, but right now I'm thinking $250-$300K

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with two preschool children
Do you prefer public or private schools? Waldorf, probably Waldorf of Philly rather than Kimberton or homeschool
Do you have pets? Yes, 5 dogs, 2 cats
Do you want or need a yard? YES, can't imagine having smaller than 1/3rd acre
Are you keeping a car? Two, plus motorcycles
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - Yes
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Yes
Nightlife - NO
Train or subway stations - Not needed

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse

Coke or Pepsi? Water

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,350,201 times
Quote:
I'm getting such mixed info on the area, I don't know if it will be a good fit, so I'm doing lots of reading now to make the most of our visit next month.
What area do you mean, that you're getting mixed info on? Plymouth Meeting is a nice area, as far as I know (I grew up in Plymouth Township, nearby), though the homes are older mostly suburban tract homes. You haven't mentioned what type of house you want (old, new, how many bedrooms, etc.).

Wow, though, with all the dogs! LOL! I only have two and my neighbors complained about the barking (one of them barks incessantly at the squirrels in the trees). Oh well, that's what happens when you move into an older neighborhood with older neighbors. (I don't live there though, so don't worry.) Anyway, back to Plymouth Meeting, I saw a house on-line for $285K right up the street from where I grew up -- in fact, it's the same exact floorplan of our house....brings back memories. Looks like much of it hasn't been updated since it was built, but it does have a large yard.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,610,841 times
Both Plymouth Meeting and Lafayette Hill are great areas.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,330,606 times
I was house hunting in Plymouth Meeting for a while to be near my nieces, but then (like a crazy person) ended up buying in a town called Kennett Square in the next county. I really loved her little neighborhood, but you will be somewhat congested there since it was near the Plymouth Meeting Mall, and Germantown Pike can be a real bear. On the upside, there is a FABULOUS community center (A YMCA perhaps?) with great water activities for little ones. Perhaps you could check out neighboring Flourtown, Erdenheim or Glenside, as they have some beautiful homes with a more serene atmostphere. Erdenheim Farm is lovely with many sheep grazing in the fields. Not sure about their prices, though.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,664,054 times
Assuming you don't want too long of a commute to school either and given your price range, you will probably have to stay east of the Schuylkill. A third of an acre will put you outside of Philadelphia. You probably won't want to be too far east of York Rd., which runs through Abington and Willow Grove, nor any further north than Horsham, nor west of the Norritons. That puts you in eastern Montgomery County, where large yards in your price range might mean a house that needs some work. I'd look in Roslyn (19001), Oreland (19075), maybe North Wales, or the outskirts of Ambler or Conshohocken (you won't find 1/3 acre in either borough). You may also have some luck in Plymouth Meeting itself.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 AM

9,313 posts, read 12,905,441 times
Havertown (Haverford), Ardmore (Lower Merion/Haverford), Plymouth, Whitemarsh, Springfield (Montgomery), Cheltenham, Abington.

Only the first two are really 1/2 hour within Center City by car during peak traffic conditions, but the latter five are definitely worth considering as well.

Also check out Cherry Hill in South Jersey.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,820 times
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of info I need to focus my time exploring next month!

I am hoping to find a 3BR, 2+ bath home with a room for the dogs. We currently live in a 2500 SQ ft 19th century Victorian with 0.5 acre yard. I know we couldn't afford anything comparable, and frankly, its too big and I'm tired of the money pit. I don't mind fixing up a house, but I'd like to fix and be finished.

As for mixed info, I just mean like anywhere else I'm running into comments that range from loving the area to hating it. Also, after living in many places that have below average cost of living, I laugh (cringe) when I read people have trouble finding a home for 600K.

Last edited by beautifulday68; 06-21-2012 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Oops, wasn't finished ;)

Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,350,201 times
I had never heard of the Waldorf School but it looks like it's in West Mount Airy. So if you're working in Plymouth Meeting and don't want to too far from the school, I'd stick with Plymouth Meeting, Lafayette Hill, Flourtown, Erdenheim, Wyndmoor -- that vicinity. There's plenty of housing stock in those areas, and I see no need to be off in NJ, Horsham or Ardmore or some of the areas mentioned (from a commute standpoint). I guess you don't want to be in West Mount Airy itself (Philadelphia county)? You sound like you'd be perfect for that area (hippie type, likes Victorian homes, looking for a diverse area). Most of the Plymouth Meeting areas are 60's tract suburbs, like I mentioned, and I'm not sure how much diversity you'll find in those areas. The problem within Phila. county would be the land requirement, though....

Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM

9,313 posts, read 12,905,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I had never heard of the Waldorf School but it looks like it's in West Mount Airy. So if you're working in Plymouth Meeting and don't want to too far from the school, I'd stick with Plymouth Meeting, Lafayette Hill, Flourtown, Erdenheim, Wyndmoor -- that vicinity. There's plenty of housing stock in those areas, and I see no need to be off in NJ, Horsham or Ardmore or some of the areas mentioned (from a commute standpoint). I guess you don't want to be in West Mount Airy itself (Philadelphia county)? You sound like you'd be perfect for that area (hippie type, likes Victorian homes, looking for a diverse area). Most of the Plymouth Meeting areas are 60's tract suburbs, like I mentioned, and I'm not sure how much diversity you'll find in those areas. The problem within Phila. county would be the land requirement, though....
I missed the part where she said she'd be working IN Plymouth Meeting. My bad. Ardmore would still work though. Probably right about 1/2 hour during rush hour. Also very charming, excellent schools, decent amount of racial/religious/economic diversity.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:59 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,330,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I missed the part where she said she'd be working IN Plymouth Meeting. My bad. Ardmore would still work though. Probably right about 1/2 hour during rush hour. Also very charming, excellent schools, decent amount of racial/religious/economic diversity.
Personally, I love Ardmore, but I don't think the OP would have much luck with a little bit of land for the canines to romp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia