Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 PM

31,896 posts, read 34,405,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Bajan - Whoever told you that is either mistaken or a real soccer fan (and there are some). The Union are really an after-thought among most folks here. Flyers and Sixers games are always front page on the sports section while the Union are always a few pages in. No way do they capture the attention of the Sixers or Flyers.
So let me get this straight.

You don't think I can stand in line with the average person at the Acme and ask, "So how about that Chelsea vs Arsenal game?" and get any sensible feedback?

Or go to a barbershop on Ogontz and throw out the question, "Do you think the addition of Giroud will make a difference next season?"

If you asked anybody at your job who the best striker in the world is, how many of them do you think would be able to provide a response to that question?

How many Sixers, Phillies and Eagles players can your co-workers name compared to the number of Union players (or MLS players) they can name?

*I'm asking this because someone told me that soccer is HUGE in the Philadelphia region. Even though I lived the first 17 years of my life there, I've been told that my views of the city are outdated. I know someone who has a friend living in the city and his friend strongly disagrees with my assessment of soccer's popularity. He says soccer is now more popular than basketball in Philadelphia because the Union games outsell the Sixers game. I just wanted to see what others think about that.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-26-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,192,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

You don't think I can stand in line with the average person at the Acme and ask, "So how about that Chelsea vs Arsenal game?" and get any sensible feedback?

Or go to a barbershop on Ogontz and throw out the question, "Do you think the addition of Giroud will make a difference next season?"

If you asked anybody at your job who the best striker in the world is, how many of them do you think would be able to provide a response to that question?
Sorry Baj - I think in most instances you'd just get a blank stare. But if you ask "What's up with the Phils this year?", you'll get an earful.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Sorry Baj - I think in most instances you'd just get a blank stare. But if you ask "What's up with the Phils this year?", you'll get an earful.
Haha. That's not what this guy told me. In his words, "If soccer is not more popular than basketball in Philly, then why do the Union draw more fans than the Sixers?" He also says that "Soccer is closing the gap on basketball in Philadelphia and closing it fast!" He also said that his friends chop it up about soccer with people from the Northeast to Yeadon on the regular.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:14 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times
It seems possible that your friend is wrong, or has his facts screwed up? I'd definitely be interested to see any gross attendance or merch sales numbers that would indicate that the Union drew more people or sold more merch than the Sixers.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM

133 posts, read 274,420 times
Quote:

How many Sixers, Phillies and Eagles players can your co-workers name compared to the number of Union players (or MLS players) they can name?

*I'm asking this because someone told me that soccer is HUGE in the Philadelphia region. Even though I lived the first 17 years of my life there, I've been told that my views of the city are outdated. I know someone who has a friend living in the city and his friend strongly disagrees with my assessment of soccer's popularity. He says soccer is now more popular than basketball in Philadelphia because the Union games outsell the Sixers game. I just wanted to see what others think about that.
Giroud looks like a good addition, but he might turn out to be an expensive version of Chamakh. We'll just have to see. I live in Northeast Philly and know quite a few people who are into soccer. A good portion of those people are immigrants, but there are some Philly natives who are soccer experts.

Soccer is growing not just in the Philly area but all across the United States. ESPN's ratings have tripled from Euro 2008 to Euro 2012. So I don't just think it is a Philly thing.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,973,881 times
Quote:
Hey guys...someone told me that the Philadelphia Union are more popular than the Sixers and the Flyers. Now being that I haven't lived in Philadelphia since I was 17, I figured that I would defer to the people still living in the city. So...would you say that the Union are currently more popular than the Sixers?

Also, do you find that there's much discussion about Union games in barbershops and bars? And in terms of overall participation (organized and unorganized), what sport do you most commonly find Philadelphians playing?
It's Phillies season, soon it will be Eagles season.

NOBODY talks about the Union.

Gotta go....off to the Phillies game!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
It seems possible that your friend is wrong, or has his facts screwed up? I'd definitely be interested to see any gross attendance or merch sales numbers that would indicate that the Union drew more people or sold more merch than the Sixers.
Philadelphia Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2011-2012 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

This must mean that soccer is more popular than basketball in Philadelphia now.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:47 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Quote:

So gross was about 260K for the Union and 580K for the sixers?

imagine the TV ratings would be even more a disparity

your buddy is wrong at this point though on the whole

Old 06-26-2012, 03:58 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times
Quote:

Not quite sure how you arrive at that conclusion from looking at those websites, but looks like people are definitely showing up at Union games!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So gross was about 260K for the Union and 580K for the sixers?

imagine the TV ratings would be even more a disparity

your buddy is wrong at this point though on the whole
But the Sixers play 82 games a year whereas the Union only play 34. That's why average attendance is more relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia