Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,791 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry. I hesitated for hours, but I can't hold back any longer.

Public/low income housing is meant to be a provision of charity and/or social justice to desparately poor people in our city. It is NOT intended to be a convenience option for people who are looking to relocate.

There I said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
^^That's not accurate. You have to go through PHA for a housing subsidy, whether you're living in PHA's public housing developments or getting a Section 8 -- now called Housing Choice -- voucher.

http://www.pha.phila.gov/housing.aspx

To answer your question about public housing, lovegod2012, Falls Ridge in East Falls is only a few years old and is in a decent neighborhood. The Abbottsford and Queen Lane developments are nearby; I wouldn't say either one is absolutely unsafe, but they've got their problems. All three have good access to public transportation. Those are the only three I have any direct knowledge of. Good luck to you.
Just like the MLK Plaza that replaced MLK towers there's still problem residents in those things. Doesn't matter the neighborhood. Look at the Southwark projects. Great neighborhood but stay the heck out of the projects. Nobody goes in there and every year a few more tenants kill each other. Also, I thought the Queen Lane towers were demoed?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Is this a joke? really? Looking for good low income public housing? and a good safe neighborhood? wow smh......I hope you're from out of state. To be asking this.....

What he said, sorry to say... I would stay away from low income housing and maybe attempt to locate a section 8 home in a decent neighborhood?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegod2012 View Post
hello everyone, I would like to move to philadelphia and currently i will have income coming from my unemployment which will be enough if i live in low or public housing. Ive been on the internet and seen some apartments and read really bad reviews on a few i know that someone who lives locally would know where the apartments are that are in the better nieghborhoods

im looking for a 2-3 bedrm preferably 3 who allows cats
in either low-income based or public housing *apartment*
and in a good and safe nieghborhood

Thank you for all your helpful feedback!
God Bless
Sorry to inform you of this, but public housing and safe are not compatible.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Just like the MLK Plaza that replaced MLK towers there's still problem residents in those things. Doesn't matter the neighborhood.
No, it doesn't. There are problem residents in every neighborhood. Unless you believe that crime only occurs in public housing developments or in "bad" neighborhoods?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,124 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't. There are problem residents in every neighborhood. Unless you believe that crime only occurs in public housing developments or in "bad" neighborhoods?
No, but its almost like a guarantee you'll have problem residents in those complexes.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,633 times
Nothing in North Philly.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM

36 posts, read 66,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegod2012 View Post
hello everyone, I would like to move to philadelphia and currently i will have income coming from my unemployment which will be enough if i live in low or public housing.

im looking for a 2-3 bedrm preferably 3 who allows cats
in either low-income based or public housing *apartment*
and in a good and safe nieghborhood

Thank you for all your helpful feedback!
God Bless
You came to the right place for information, and we can be a great help to you. No offense, but I also have to say this. You can be a big help to us by not moving here. It's people like you who are a prime example why Philadelphia is in a state it's in, and it's hard enough for this place to move forward with people like you who wants to live here, and do nothing. Also "low-income based or public housing *apartment* and in a good and safe nieghborhood" don't go hand-in-hand.

The formula is pretty simple, and remember this:
Low income=unsafe neighborhood.
High income=good and safe neighborhood.

I don't know your situation, but if you do so desire to live in Philadelphia then get a good job, buy an affordable house, and take pride in it.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
To answer your question about public housing, lovegod2012, Falls Ridge in East Falls is only a few years old and is in a decent neighborhood. The Abbottsford and Queen Lane developments are nearby; I wouldn't say either one is absolutely unsafe, but they've got their problems. All three have good access to public transportation. Those are the only three I have any direct knowledge of. Good luck to you.
Actually, Queen Lane tower has been vacated and was slated for demolition a few months back. I'm not sure why it hasn't been taken down yet. The ground units may still house people-not sure.

Falls Ridge I believe is mixed income and is actually really nice, wouldn't mind living there myself.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,118 times
looking for two bed room no more then 300 a month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia