Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Unless this list is full of it, Philly and NYC don't rank in the top 10 most dangerous cities in America. Granted, Philly closed 2011 with the highest murder rate per capita in the U.S.

The Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St.
Well, NYC is one of the safest big cities in the US, so that part's not remarkable.

But remember, Philly only closed 2010 with the highest murder rate per capita of the 10 largest cities in the US, not overall.

None of the top 10 cities on that most dangerous list you posted are the top ten largest cities.

If they were to publish a ranking of per capita murder rates for ALL cities in the us, Philly would not be in the top 10 of that list either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,180,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Cincinnati- 20.5
I am a former New Yorker living in Cincinnati and overall it's safe. Now if you are into the drug business it's way crazy for a city it's size.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,612,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I am a former New Yorker living in Cincinnati and overall it's safe. Now if you are into the drug business it's way crazy for a city it's size.
And you think Philly is any different?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:19 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,180,230 times
Quote:
And you think Philly is any different?
Nope, and that is my point. In spite of the random fear monger types who come through about how awful Philly is.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
I tink you lost it summersm.. The guy was shot IN SOCIETY HILL. I proved it before and am again.. Get a clue.. Here is the latest article on it.. Read it carefully.. especially this line.. "Police said Hagan was found suffering a fatal gunshot wound to his chest on 4th Street near Lombard around 3 a.m. July 1."

$40K for killer in Society Hill robbery, slaying

Lets see if you apologize.. I bet you won't..

Ya know when I lived there I too defended it with my every being. I told everyone they were exaggerating when they claimed that the city was murder capital. I was just like you.. Refused to believe the facts presented.. I'm just posting what others have found and FACTUAL stats.. To help others who may be looking to move there.. People ask for opinions and I give mine. Isn't that what a forum is for? And I asked before but you did not answer. How many years experience in Philly do YOU have?

Quote:
And I think I did proved you wrong that he was not shot in Society Hill. You just can't admit you're wrong. When did you ever prove me wrong about anything in Philly? Never.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Philly's number is 20 per 100,000 for the murder rate

Quote:
No it did not? Philly was no where close. It was the highest murder rate among the 10 largest cities in the United States....but not the highest in the U.S.... Philly's murder rate was 19 per 100,000 I believe.

Cities higher than that?

Cincinnati- 20.5
Buffalo- 20.7
Kansas City- 21.1
Oakland- 22
Newark, NJ- 32.1
Detroit- 34.5
Baltimore- 34.8
St. Louis- 40.5
New Orleans- 49.1

That's not even including some of the worse cities like Minneapolis, Camden, Atlanta, Compton, Gary, East St. Louis, etc. etc.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I tink you lost it summersm.. The guy was shot IN SOCIETY HILL. I proved it before and am again.. Get a clue.. Here is the latest article on it.. Read it carefully.. especially this line.. "Police said Hagan was found suffering a fatal gunshot wound to his chest on 4th Street near Lombard around 3 a.m. July 1."

$40K for killer in Society Hill robbery, slaying

Lets see if you apologize.. I bet you won't..

Ya know when I lived there I too defended it with my every being. I told everyone they were exaggerating when they claimed that the city was murder capital. I was just like you.. Refused to believe the facts presented.. I'm just posting what others have found and FACTUAL stats.. To help others who may be looking to move there.. People ask for opinions and I give mine. Isn't that what a forum is for? And I asked before but you did not answer. How many years experience in Philly do YOU have?
Like I said.... no one heard gunshots. No neighborhoods reported hearing any gunshots, and if you know Society Hill at all, it is very quite at night. Gunshots would not go unnoticed. There was also no blood or casings found at the scene (which if the gun was a revolver, there would be no shells at the scene).

However, I said if he WAS shot in Society Hill, which I do not think he was, then it is an unfortunate event, but it in no way makes this neighborhood dangerous, at all, as I proved by posting several incidents of people being shot/stabbed in usually safe areas in Midtown Manhattan, Bucks County and suburban New Jersey. Things happen like this all the time, everywhere. That does not make Society Hill unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Philly's number is 20 per 100,000 for the murder rate
You're right, the number in 2011 was 20 per 100,000. The stat I saw that said 19 per 100,000 was from 2010.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,100,739 times
Frank, you seem almost happy that something bad happened in society hill. Almost like you've been validated. Why is that?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Frank, you seem almost happy that something bad happened in society hill. Almost like you've been validated. Why is that?
If you haven't noticed, Frank is very happy when crime happens in Philly and he will post about it on this forum almost immediately after the event has happened. He never posts anything but an article about crime and never contributes anything positive. He is on a personal vendetta against Philadelphia and he wants to convince everyone that it is hell on earth. He will go to any length imaginable to dissuade people from moving to Philadelphia and does not want the city to succeed in urban renewal in any way imaginable. There are no nice areas of the city according to Frank, it is all one big barren wasteland filled with thugs, drugs, crime and murder.

He would like us all to move to New Jersey, for he believes that it is a suburban paradise filled with flowers and butterflies.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:30 AM

37 posts, read 72,467 times
I love Philly. I lived there for 4 years while in college and I am now considering moving back. Seriously, people need to live their lives and worry less. Most people die from heart disease or car accidents or even dog attacks, not drive-by-shootings. I mean, if a city is 1% safer according to some poll, are you really going to move there for that reason? As I said, I felt fine in Philly (I lived on the edge of West Philly). Sure, avoid "bad" neighborhoods, watch your back, and/or perhaps live in a suburb, and you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia