Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,132 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am new to the site but love it. I have read many of these threads trying to seek out the answers I am looking for. My family and I are moving to Philadelphia metro area in 2013. My wife and I have one child. My son is 10 months old currently. We are looking for a neighborhood in the suburbs. We would like a quiet neighborhood that is close to shopping and food.

I am not sure if my wife can live without being close to Walmart, Ruby Tuesday, Target ect, ect... We want to live somewhere safe and close to a nice shopping/ eating area. We also are only looking at the Middle to South Philadelphia area.

We have looked at places like Springfield, Haverstown, Chester, Drexel Hill......We also have looked closer to the city in the area of South Philly near the ballparks.

But haven't been able to find what we are looking for:

1. Safe

2. Close to food and shopping

3. Not too far outside the city (no more that 15-20 miles.)

4. Something in our Price range. ($100,000 a year)

5. Place where we can have a house and a back yard. Quiet street.

Any help you can provide would be welcomed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Where will you be working? Will your wife be working outside of the home? If so, where. Will you need two cars? Will you be able/willing to take public transportation to your job if it's available? When you say something in your price range - does $100,000 mean that will be your salary? What can you actually afford for a home?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Check out Media.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM

36 posts, read 66,893 times
Cherry Hill, New Jersey. It has all the all the requirements that you listed. Target, Restaurants, Walmart, easy access to Philadelphia with 5 different Interstate systems to go anywhere. It's an upper middle class to upscale township with great schools low crime, and house with a lot of land in your price range.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 AM

95 posts, read 180,621 times
+1 for Media. Very cute, walkable, with good transportation access. In contrast, Cherry Hill is a wasteland.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,125 times
Stay out of Chester. There's really nothing suburban about it anyway. It's a post-industrial city that has seen some hard times.

Given your criteria, out of the list you gave I'd suggest Havertown, Springfield, and Drexel Hill (specifically the Pilgrim Gardens and Aronimink sections). Not included in your list, I'd suggest Media, Marple, Newtown Square, Swarthmore, and possibly some other places in Delaware County. 15 to 20 miles from the city covers a lot of places. $100,000 a year goes pretty far in this area, too. I think Havertown and Drexel Hill especially would be a good combination of being walkable and near amenities and having safe and quiet streets. There are also some huge houses with large yards in both. I've seen houses with more than an acre of land in Havertown.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Stay out of Chester. There's really nothing suburban about it anyway. It's a post-industrial city that has seen some hard times.

Given your criteria, out of the list you gave I'd suggest Havertown, Springfield, and Drexel Hill (specifically the Pilgrim Gardens and Aronimink sections). Not included in your list, I'd suggest Media, Marple, Newtown Square, Swarthmore, and possibly some other places in Delaware County. 15 to 20 miles from the city covers a lot of places. $100,000 a year goes pretty far in this area, too. I think Havertown and Drexel Hill especially would be a good combination of being walkable and near amenities and having safe and quiet streets. There are also some huge houses with large yards in both. I've seen houses with more than an acre of land in Havertown.
The cardinal rule of home purchasing is to not buy a property worth more than three times your pre-tax income. This can obviously be adjusted upward or downward based on savings, debt, expected future income, etc. etc., which is why we can be of more help to the OP if they give us a price range.

Going off a budget of ~300k, Havertown, Springfield, and Marple are all within reach. You won't be able to afford new construction, but you can buy a decent-sized house on a decent plot of land with good bones that could use, if anything, some aesthetic modifications to bring it up-to-date. I would also add Ardmore (within parts of Lower Merion and Havertown).

$300k can buy something quite nice in Drexel Hill, but the public school situation may not be to your liking (UD schools aren't "the pits" as some would have you believe, but the environment is a bit different from what a wealthier, more homogeneous suburban district would provide--in some ways good, others not so good [I'll let UDResident, who is much more intimately acquainted with the schools than I am, explain in further detail]).

$300k will be on the low side for Newtown and parts of Media (Middletown Township and the Borough proper are the most affordable; Upper Providence and Rose Valley are a bit more expensive), but you could still strike gold--either a fixer-upper you fall in love with or a more desirable property someone's trying to sell fast. If you're amenable to that sort of property, I'd check out Nether Providence, Swarthmore, and Narberth (the Borough) along with Penn Wynne, Bala-Cynwyd, and Merion (the areas closest to City Ave) in Lower Merion.

Across the River in Jersey, I'd check out Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Evesham, and Mt. Laurel if you don't mind sprawl and want to be able to get to the city in a breeze. North of the City on the PA side, Cheltenham, Jenkintown, Springfield (Montgomery County), and Abington could work too, though of all the places mentioned, it's toughest getting into Town from the Northern suburbs.

All this may seem overwhelming, but you should be happy to know that there are a lot of great suburbs for you to choose from. There isn't really a wrong choice. It's all a question of your wants and needs.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia