Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 852 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving this summer to Philly. My wife is in a masters program at Arcadia and I am a WFH web developer. We are looking for apartments within 0-20 minutes commute (by car) of Arcadia for my wife. It would be nice to avoid the wage tax for myself as well, since my employer is in California and I began working from home to relieve myself of additional taxation. We're both a couple of white kids from the west, so Philly (and the east coast in general) is going to be a new experience for both of us. We're not really concerned with night life, but we are both active -- enjoy running with our dog and cycling. We prefer trader joe's for groceries and eating out local, but it would be great to be within reasonable driving distance of a Costco or Target for bulk staples, dog food, etc.

When are you moving? september 2012
Where are you coming from? Utah/Idaho/California (SF, OC, SD)
Why are you moving? Grad School @ Arcadia
Where will you be working? I work from home, would like to avoid any extra wage taxes.
Have you been here yet? my wife has been living with classmates since May. She will be in the area for the rest of July, we hope that she can find a place before her semester break.

Will you buy or rent? rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? we would prefer to be in a converted house or townhouse style. I prefer the single house feel to large apartment buildings. a/c is a huge selling point for me. I am looking to spend around $1000/month or less, but what should I reasonably expect to pay for a 1-2 bedroom 850+ sq foot apartment?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up.

Do you have pets? one 45 lb neutered male dog, very well behaved, shots up to date, adapted to city life.
Do you want or need a yard? not required if a dog park is accessible nearby.
Are you keeping a car? yes, currently we have two, but we would be willing to go to one if we lived in a bikeable/walkable area. if we are within 10 minutes (during rush hour) from Arcadia, I could drop the wife off when I need the car during the day.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? somewhere in between.

What do you want to be closest to? In the following order of importance: school, train, basics/shopping, nightlife.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We are comfortable in any area as long as we feel safe walking the dog outside any time of day or night, biking and jogging during the daytime.

Coke or Pepsi? Diet Coke and Dr. Pepper

I have looked through many online rental listings. Are there any resources in addition to 4walls, realtor.com, and craigslist?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
I think this is the closest apartment building.

The Towers at Wyncote Apartments - Wyncote - Pennsylvania - Apartments for Rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia