Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,333 times

Advertisements

hello,
I'm planning to move to Philadelphia with a friend for school. I will be attending the arts institute which is at center city, and being that i've only visited philadelphia once, i know very little about the city. I'm from NY and I've lived in a calm neighborhood my whole life. Not used to living in the city. I've heard that there are some bad neighborhoods in philadelphia. And i'd like to know where would be good for us. Money wise, and safety wise. Craigslist has helped a bit, but the adds don't really let me know where the apartments are, and even if I did know, it wouldn't make a difference. And the ones that I have found in center city, i'm not sure if they are in good neighborhoods and the prices are very high.
How would I go about searching and know those facts?
My roomate saw a great apartment in the 19114 zip code, is that a good neighborhood?
Please leave some info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
I am not familiar with that particular area...Good luck though. You may want to call a local realtor and see if they can give you any insight on that particular zipcode...Or, call the school you will be attending and ask someone there...Student Services or student housing.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:03 PM

360 posts, read 993,017 times
That zipcode is in the far northeastern part of Philadelphia, a considerable distance from Center City where your school is located. That doesn't mean it would be out-of the-question for commuting since public transportation is pretty good but I don't know anything about that particular area.

Last edited by Yac; 10-02-2007 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: link removed, advertising other forums is not allowed

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,685 times
the zip code is located in a decent area of NE Philly. However as mentioned above it is quite far from center city and the night life of the area. Will you have a car with you?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
I would just find a place by the Arts Institutes. You will be near great bars like Mcglinchies and Dirty Franks where all the Art students hang out anyway. Be part of the culture. The neighborhoods are by no means 100% safe but they're not bad either. Just use common sense.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:44 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,149 times
Look in Washington Square West. It's close to your school and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia