Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,383 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people post about moving here and soon of my questions/comments/concerns are answered in here but I just cant make up my mind on neighborhoods.

So My girlfriend and I will be moving to Philly in May 2013. It will be just us two and we have a dog. A small dog at that. We are from Arizona and live in Phoenix area. We are both in our late 20's early 30's and are young professionals. My girlfriend is an interior designer and most likely will work in the downtown area. I am going to being getting my Masters at Temple and I work for National Guard. We want to buy a house somewhere from 100,000 to 300,000. So it is a big range we can afford but do not really want to spend that much. I hate to say this but I think I need to...We are a white couple and like to live in a white predominately neighborhood. I know there a lot of African Americans that live in the Philly area. I like a the suburbia feel but my girlfriend wants more a city feel. I just do not know what neighborhoods are good, fun and safe.

Some desirable's:
Near a Park
Yard for Dog
Parking for at least one vehicle
A Walkable area close to shops grocery stores and restaurants
Safe
Near public transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 AM

130 posts, read 251,895 times
I would stick to the burbs because the city of Philadelphia has a very large black population and you said you prefer a white neighborhood and while I'm no expert on Philly burbs I don't see you getting a place for under 250k.

Also curious did you visit Temple and Phillly yet? Far cry from Arizona. Not trying to discourage you but I assume it's night and day.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 AM

429 posts, read 719,522 times
Default Why buy right away?

I think you're in for a culture shock. Population density, weather, attitudes (not saying better or worse, just different). Slow down on the house hunting. First, rent in an area that appeals; then, see if you love it at the end of your year lease. Do-overs much easier with a rental. May I say: Welcome to the area. It is so exciting to have a big move like this to look forward to. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I agree with Jeanie Beanie, unless you already own a home, there's no reason to buy right away. If you dislike an area after buying it might not be easy to sell quickly. I know with a few of our house purchases, I wish I could have rented for a year prior.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-15-2012 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
I was going to recommend West Mount Airy to you. It's not far from Center City and combines a city and suburban feeling quite well and has a commuter rail line running through it. However, you might end up with a black person on your block. Maybe you could buy special sunglasses that have a skin lightening effect when you look through them so you can tolerate the blacks. Perhaps, more likely, Philadelphia is not your kind of town.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
^ true.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:35 AM

130 posts, read 251,895 times
Mancat,

The poster is being honest don't see the need to take shots at him. If a black guy came on here and said he would prefer a black neighborhood would you call him out? Lots of folks in Philly experienced some racial tension and it surely isn't always from white people.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Mancat,

The poster is being honest don't see the need to take shots at him. If a black guy came on here and said he would prefer a black neighborhood would you call him out? Lots of folks in Philly experienced some racial tension and it surely isn't always from white people.
I think some clarification on what "predominantly white" means to the OP might be helpful. If they simply wish to not feel outnumbered, finding a nice city neighborhood won't be tough at all. If they wish to be somewhere that's lily-white, then they probably should live in the suburbs. Collingswood across the bridge in Jersey may be a good compromise.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Mancat,

New-era. I appreciate your viewpoint, but I expressed my visceral reaction to the post. Now that I've had some time to think about it, I stand by what I said. Maybe if it had been a black poster expressing a preference for a black neighborhood, my reaction would have been softer. That would have been inconsistent on my part. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll be sure to be consistent going forward.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
You won't find anything fantastic in the city for $100,000 to $300,000. You could be in the city if you rent, and you may eventually find a good place for $200,000 or $300,000, but I would stick to the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia