U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 PM

27 posts, read 44,190 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia’s Population Problem – Next American City

What say everyone else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 PM

735 posts, read 1,006,406 times
That's three years old, is based on estimates that the 2010 Census proved wrong, and Philadelphia gained 10,000 people between 2010 and 2011 alone.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:45 PM

7,533 posts, read 8,724,954 times
Mako - You need to try and keep up with facts, instead of relying on the speculation in this story. Here are a few:

1. This three year old article states Philly was slated to lose 70,000 people in the 8 years following the 2000 census. Instead, it gained around 9,000 when the final 2010 census results were made public (Demographics of Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
2. Further, the city was estimated to have gained another 10,000 residents in 2011, based on the 2012 estimate (Growth spurt: City’s population rising, census shows - Philly.com).
3. There is an explsotion in growth of young people moving to the city (2010 Census Shows Philadelphia Youth Movement | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog).
4. Finally, Philly is the 5th largest city, not the 6th.

Hope you find these facts informative. Perhaps you should forward them to the author of the article you posted.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:45 PM

That many? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks UD!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Mako - You need to try and keep up with facts, instead of relying on the speculation in this story. Here are a few:

1. This three year old article states Philly was slated to lose 70,000 people in the 8 years following the 2000 census. Instead, it gained around 9,000 when the final 2010 census results were made public (Demographics of Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
2. Further, the city was estimated to have gained another 10,000 residents in 2011, based on the 2012 estimate (Growth spurt: City’s population rising, census shows - Philly.com).
3. There is an explsotion in growth of young people moving to the city (2010 Census Shows Philadelphia Youth Movement | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog).
4. Finally, Philly is the 5th largest city, not the 6th.

Hope you find these facts informative. Perhaps you should forward them to the author of the article you posted.

Jm,

That's good info, I wasn't aware of any of that, why I asked what others thought. Thanks for posting that, I'll read more and re-educate myself on this.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:50 PM

7,533 posts, read 8,724,954 times
^^^ Happy to help!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:51 PM

No problem. No offense to Next Great American City but those of us who grew up in Philly or in working class neighborhoods near it know the situation a lot better than they do. The only parts of the city with a population problem are the working class or formerly working class neighborhoods that are nowhere near the core. Even they are getting filled with immigrants and with those displaced from other neighborhoods and even other places not in the city. Not only that, but there are only a handful of places in the city that can't be attractive to one group of people or another. For example, trends would dictate that Overbrook would be a neighborhood that would have a "population problem" in the future because it's the furthest west neighborhood out of northern West Philly but they have St. Joe's, border the Main Line, and the City Line area has great potential while still being a stable part of the city. Eastwick, another example, happens to be near the airport and near an industrial complex. It's not like back when places like Kensington lost their industry or when North Philly went down and had all of the public housing complexes put in. It's a different time, and the way we saw things back then isn't necessarily how we see them now.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:54 PM

That's good to know UD. I live outside of Washington DC and have for almost 18 years now but grew up across the bridge in Jersey. Philly was alot of fun when I was younger, and my family still lives in Jersey and thought if I could get a job up that way (on the PA side) I would.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako993 View Post
That's good to know UD. I live outside of Washington DC and have for almost 18 years now but grew up across the bridge in Jersey. Philly was alot of fun when I was younger, and my family still lives in Jersey and thought if I could get a job up that way (on the PA side) I would.
It's a different kind of fun these days. Center City is on a whole other level than in the 80s, 90s, even the early 2000s. West Philly's got a lot more than just typical Philly neighborhood stuff going these days, and parts of North Philly, Kensington, Fishtown, Northern Liberties, the area around the Art Museum, and even parts of South Philly are a lot more Center City than "Philly neighborhood" these days too. You know "Philly" is still there though if you can find it. There's something for everybody these days. I'd definitely recommend living in the area again.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
It's a different kind of fun these days. Center City is on a whole other level than in the 80s, 90s, even the early 2000s. West Philly's got a lot more than just typical Philly neighborhood stuff going these days, and parts of North Philly, Kensington, Fishtown, Northern Liberties, the area around the Art Museum, and even parts of South Philly are a lot more Center City than "Philly neighborhood" these days too. You know "Philly" is still there though if you can find it. There's something for everybody these days. I'd definitely recommend living in the area again.
Interesting. Last time I was on South Street several years ago on a Saturday afternoon I really liked the vibe, although the place had changed a bit from what I remember back in the day. I've been to one of the museums in the city since then and was further impressed.

I would go back if I could get a decent job up there, I'm in the IT security business. Going to take a trip up that way and check out the town of Media for a day for the heck of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia