Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM

125 posts, read 210,621 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the info! Will definitely check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 AM

25 posts, read 56,144 times
If you are renting for the first year, don't worry about the taxes! Haddonfield would be my number 1 choice for ambience--and many things you could rent where you could walk to train station. If you find you like Haddonfield, and want to have children,you can't beat the school district. Yes, the taxes are higher than elsewhere, but you get what you pay for in terms of school district.
Collingswood would be my second choice, and rents there may be lower. Haddon Heights is a nice town, but has no train station. 3rd on list would be Westmont (part of Haddon Township). Keep in mind that these other school districts are not as highly rated. However, if one day you have children and would rather choose a private school (i.e. Catholic or Friends'), what town you live in does not matter as much.
Sorry, for quick commutability, can't recommend PA--I used to live there. . .Septa lines are just not as reliable. My personal opinion is that Patco is a much better system, runs more efficiently, and gets you into the city more quickly!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM

283 posts, read 607,289 times
njrezsince03 is right. Go with the PATCO line for daily commuting. It will give you options to enjoy Philadelphia on nights and weekends as well. It's cheaper, more reliable, and you won't be paying NJ property taxes (which actually aren't that bad of a deal once you buy since NJ will credit your city wage tax against your state income tax). Keep this in mind when you're ready to buy.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,800 times
I've been using SEPTA for almost a decade now and it's very reliable, especially compared to what it used to be. NJ schools are not even remotely better than PA schools. I'd take Rose-Tree-Media and Wallingford-Swarthmore over Haddonfield or any other NJ school districts any day of the week because they've been around a long time and aren't surrounded by sprawl. I'd also take Media or Swarthmore in general over Haddonfield or any other NJ place any day of the week.

Stop putting down PA to boost NJ. In reality, you're making both yourselves and NJ look bad in doing so because if NJ was as great as you make it out to be, then you wouldn't need to put down PA now would you?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
I've been using SEPTA for almost a decade now and it's very reliable, especially compared to what it used to be. NJ schools are not even remotely better than PA schools. I'd take Rose-Tree-Media and Wallingford-Swarthmore over Haddonfield or any other NJ school districts any day of the week because they've been around a long time and aren't surrounded by sprawl. I'd also take Media or Swarthmore in general over Haddonfield or any other NJ place any day of the week.

Stop putting down PA to boost NJ. In reality, you're making both yourselves and NJ look bad in doing so because if NJ was as great as you make it out to be, then you wouldn't need to put down PA now would you?
I agree that the Cherry Hill-Voorhees-Evesham-Mount Laurel corridor is rather gross and sprawling, but I do think that Collingswood and the Haddons are worthy recommendations in addition to the Media and Swarthmore-Wallingford areas.

In addition to communities along the Patco and Elwyn lines, I would look into areas along the Norristown High Speed Line (Ardmore, Havertown, Bryn Mawr, etc.) and the Suburban ("Main") Line (Narberth, Merion, Wynnewood, etc.).

Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I agree that the Cherry Hill-Voorhees-Evesham-Mount Laurel corridor is rather gross and sprawling, but I do think that Collingswood and the Haddons are worthy recommendations in addition to the Media and Swarthmore-Wallingford areas.

In addition to communities along the Patco and Elwyn lines, I would look into areas along the Norristown High Speed Line (Ardmore, Havertown, Bryn Mawr, etc.) and the Suburban ("Main") Line (Narberth, Merion, Wynnewood, etc.).
I'm fine with them recommending NJ places in addition to the PA ones being suggested. What I am not fine with is them putting down PA and making NJ out to be so much better in multiple threads.

NJ is not now nor has it ever been better than PA.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
I'm fine with them recommending NJ places in addition to the PA ones being suggested. What I am not fine with is them putting down PA and making NJ out to be so much better in multiple threads.

NJ is not now nor has it ever been better than PA.
That I agree with.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Well said Heaven and UD. I've said it before on other threads but there's such a tendency for total Homerism by South Jersey residents. We can all say "look at these towns in PA and check out these towns if you are interested in Jersey".

With SJ homers it's silly - "Don't move to PA because it's so much farther to Center City" - ridiculous.

"Don't move to PA because SEPTA is so bad" - ridiculous. I too took SEPTA for several years and it was rarely late. For the OP look at a SEPTA map which I believe includes PATCO and you will clearly see which towns have great train access.

"Don't move to PA because because we have Haddonfield and Moorestown" - ridiculous. Sorry, they are like diamonds in the rough. Check out the Classic Towns of Philadelphia for the region's (PA and NJ) best towns.

Living in PA puts you much closer to the region's suburban job centers, private schools, colleges, cultural attractions and historical sights. Jersey is so much like a bedroom community. It clearly evolved much later and has nowhere near the tangible or intangible assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia