Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 10,477 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm writing this knowing that I sound stupid & crazy, and I realize that I'm going to be judged. So, after months of contemplating it, I "moved" to Philadelphia. I packed my stuff into my Toyota Highlander & drove here. I have relatives here, but I don't want to ask them for anything. I slept in my vehicle outside of a Hotel near the airport. The reality of the situation is that I don't have a job, and I can only survive living out of my car for so long. It was dumb of me to move up here without much of a plan, I know, but it's what I wanted to do. I am looking for a job, but until something comes though what are some things I can do to get by? Like places I can park for free? I do have a defensive handgun & a valid concealed weapons liscense, if that makes a difference. I just need a bit of advice on living within a serious budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 10,477 times
Default Edit.

Oh! and I'm a 21 year old male

Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 AM

125 posts, read 210,531 times
Ahh, you should have gotten a job (any job) before you moved here. I don't know your situation, but is there any possible way to move back from where you're from? And save up before the move or at least acquire a job before moving back to Philadelphia? That is probably your smartest bet.
But if I were you I'd try to get a job ASAP and see if you can stay with your relatives until then.
Do you have any type of work experience?

About free parking, I don't know of any place where there wouldn't be a cop that could see you in your car, knock on your window and leave. But there are many streets in the city that are free to park all the time. A lot of numbered streets in the fairmount area are free to park (no time/day limit).

Good luck! and be safe.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,911,453 times
Aphillyated,
You can sleep at any Walmart parking lot safe and free.
Everyone knows that.
COntact your relatives and tell them what you did.
If you were my family I would be mad that you didn't contact me.
They aren't going to be mad at you, trust me.
Then get a paper or internet and start looking for work.
I admire your bravery.
You are going to be fine with that kind of courage in life.
Good Luck to you!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:44 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,015 times
Do you have any savings? Even the cheapest hotels in Jersey or Delaware are safer than living in your car. If any of your local relatives are true champions of you, then I suggest going to them temporarily and working as much as possible (2 or more jobs) at first so you can establish yourself quickly. Please don't live in your car. If someone robs you they could just carjack you while they're at it. Then what?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM

125 posts, read 210,531 times
Agree with Phil. There are some pretty dirt cheap hotels on Roosevelt blvd.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM

212 posts, read 610,429 times
You may want to check out this hostel - Chamounix Mansion International Hostel and Meeting Center for short term housing.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:57 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,015 times
If your car is paid for or don't owe much and you're really planning on staying in Philly long-term, there is a strong possibility of you not even needing the car. It's your most valuable asset and might be a burden to keep if living in the city or inner suburbs. You could sell your car (might be easier back home if you're from a different state) and have the cash to start your Philly life. With a lot of hustle you can make this work, but don't be afraid to take a step back to get yourself in a better position to succeed. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,327 times
You'll get no judgment from me. People do this kind of thing in other cities all the time, so why not Philadelphia?

Find a hotel or motel, preferably in a part of the city or metro that isn't dangerous. I know there's one in Media borough that has always looked to me like it's fairly cheap and dumpy. If you can't afford to live in one well then at least maybe you can find some work there. Go pound the pavement looking for any job possible. What are your qualifications or prior job experience? Are you able to do manual labor? There are jobs to be had if you can find them. The first thing I would do if I were you is buy a transpass. Then you can take every type of transportation except the Regional Rail as many times as you want for the month of August. Use that to go look for jobs. Stop at malls, major shopping centers, downtown areas of various parts of the metro, etc. Look in every kind of industry that you can. Be somebody's assistant if need be. Anything to get money, as long as it isn't robbing people or selling drugs or selling yourself.

Contact your family in the area. Just let them know you're here. You don't have to ask them for anything if you don't want to but it's good to let people know you're here and you're safe.

Plan your meals wisely. Use as little money as possible and get the most out of each that you can. Learn how to get the most out of vending machines for the cheapest if need be. Protein, carbs, etc is what you need. Buy clothes at thrift stores (real ones, not the "cute" ones), and then when you have the money to, pay them back by donating some clothes of your own. Use any of your abilities or talents you can to make money or find employment of some kind.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
You'll get no judgment from me. People do this kind of thing in other cities all the time, so why not Philadelphia?

Find a hotel or motel, preferably in a part of the city or metro that isn't dangerous. I know there's one in Media borough that has always looked to me like it's fairly cheap and dumpy. If you can't afford to live in one well then at least maybe you can find some work there. Go pound the pavement looking for any job possible. What are your qualifications or prior job experience? Are you able to do manual labor? There are jobs to be had if you can find them. The first thing I would do if I were you is buy a transpass. Then you can take every type of transportation except the Regional Rail as many times as you want for the month of August. Use that to go look for jobs. Stop at malls, major shopping centers, downtown areas of various parts of the metro, etc. Look in every kind of industry that you can. Be somebody's assistant if need be. Anything to get money, as long as it isn't robbing people or selling drugs or selling yourself.

Contact your family in the area. Just let them know you're here. You don't have to ask them for anything if you don't want to but it's good to let people know you're here and you're safe.

Plan your meals wisely. Use as little money as possible and get the most out of each that you can. Learn how to get the most out of vending machines for the cheapest if need be. Protein, carbs, etc is what you need. Buy clothes at thrift stores (real ones, not the "cute" ones), and then when you have the money to, pay them back by donating some clothes of your own. Use any of your abilities or talents you can to make money or find employment of some kind.
Eggs and ramen! (the former if you have access to a reliable refrigeration system)

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 08-09-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia