U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:50 PM

145 posts, read 262,532 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone on CD. A quick question... I am looking to start a new life for myself and plan on planting roots in a brand new place. I'll be honest here - I'm from Milwaukee, WI and my first choice is honestly Cleveland, Ohio simply because A) I love it there and B) The Cost of Living is ridiculously cheap!!! I have however thought of moving somewhere completely different. Like Philadelphia* for instance. Please note: I have started this exact thread for other cities I am looking at as well. I am simply trying to cover all of my bases so I know I am making the correct choice financially as well as emotionally. So here is my situation (and this may very well sound stupid), I am single, 34 years old, and don't have a college degree. I do not have a vehicle, nor do I plan to get one as that will save me a lot of money. I will be moving with a total of $13,000 which is my total "Life's Savings". I will be coming with no job (unless I get one when I take vacation at work in April) and am willing to work ANYWHERE as long as it provides income. I work in a factory setting now and I make $11.92/hr and would like to match that (if not) exceed that. Also please note that I have very little debt. My range as far as rent goes is NO HIGHER than $600/month (insert laugh here). That's all I feel comfortable paying anyway. I am willing to go higher if needed (up to say $750), but I better have a job that can support the cost. I am open to living in a rooming house (Room For Rent) of sorts to begin my new life if need be. But I DO NOT want to do a Roommate situation. Now if this sounds completely insane and downright undo-able, than please let me know so I can scratch Philadelphia off of my list. Also note: I need to stay within the city limits so all suburbs are completely OUT of the question. I need a "safe" area with a low amount of drug/violent crime activity. To give an overall idea of my "comfort level", I have lived in Chicago's Uptown as well as (where I now stay) Avenues West in Milwaukee.
So the bottom line questions are...
1) Is $13,000 enough? I would like to get a place right when I get to town, so I will probably pay 6-12 months of rent right off the bat. That will take a large chunk ($6k or so) of the $13k, but will give me up to a year to recoup that money.
2) How "transplant friendly" would you say Philadelphia is?
I don't know if this is coming across as a crazy idea or just simply a good plan. I will say one thing though... I NEVER want to return to Wisconsin again!!! That's ultimately the plan. I need to grow up, and start a life for myself somewhere completely new.
3) How comparable is Philadelphia to NYC? Is it really the "poor man's New York" as I've heard before?

**Please Note: I have no family or friends in Philadelphia as I have never actually been there before. Although not that big of an issue for me, this may play a small part in responses as I won't have any direct "support system". Please try not to factor this in too heavily.

Last edited by RatKing216; 08-15-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 19,609,544 times
The $13k is a nice little cushion which is nice but I don't think you will be able to find anything in a safe area in Philly for $600 a month. Of course what you may think is 'safe' is not what others do.. Thats the best advise I could give you. I would stick with Ohio. Its way cheaper

Old 08-15-2012, 04:45 PM

735 posts, read 1,006,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The $13k is a nice little cushion which is nice but I don't think you will be able to find anything in a safe area in Philly for $600 a month.
Yes, you can.

My personal advice to you, RatKing, is to try to use your industrial background to your advantage to start off because it's a good way to get some stability while you make the transition. There are industrial parks, factories, refineries, ports, etc in and around the city. There aren't enough skilled workers to work in some of these places according to the people running them. At least if you believe what they say when interviewed in the paper that is. What kind of factory job did you have?

To answer your other question, the majority of Philadelphia is very transplant friendly.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:39 PM

2,921 posts, read 4,883,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatKing216 View Post
1) Is $13,000 enough? I would like to get a place right when I get to town, so I will probably pay 6-12 months of rent right off the bat. That will take a large chunk ($6k or so) of the $13k, but will give me up to a year to recoup that money.
I would suggest that you NOT pay 6-12 months of rent right off the bat. What if the rental situation doesn't work out, and you have a legitimate reason for breaking the lease and moving out. It will be hard enough to get your security deposit back, let alone several months' rent.

If your credit checks out OK, you will most likely have to pay first and last month's rent (plus one month security deposit) when you sign your lease. That's three months' rent...keep the rest as a financial cushion until your find a job.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 PM

8,700 posts, read 12,834,797 times
What I would suggest doing is finding at least one roommate so you guys could get a decent place in Center City's surrounding areas for $1200 a month then you could split the rent for $600 a month each. I'd suggest looking in University City, Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Chinatown, Old City and Graduate Hospital. In the meantime, you could get a job either in Tourism, at a museum, at a restaurant, or bar tending at a bar until you land a more permanent job. Since you have experience in the Industrial field, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a manufacturing or industrial job in Philly. One more thing, you will not need a car in Philly.

Sure, Cleveland is cheaper, but Philadelphia is a much better and much larger city with better amenities, better restaurants, better nightlife, more jobs and better public transit and will offer you a new experience.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:09 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,913,364 times
you can find some low end studios in center city for that price which might be the best option since the OP has no car and may need to travel for work (transit is best in cc). south philly would be a second option. it's be a lot easier to live car free in philly than cleveland

Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 PM

2,986 posts, read 2,943,637 times
Quote:
3) How comparable is Philadelphia to NYC? Is it really the "poor man's New York" as I've heard before?
I recently moved to the philly area and I've never heard of it referred to as this however I tell people it's "the philadelphia version of new york" and for what you get yes it does appear to be dirt cheap.

However I've found philly is a city you really want to learn a little before you decide to live in certain areas... So if someone suggests you should start off in center city or university city then I would recommend that.

However if your comparing Philadelphia with other cities I'd have to say Philadelphia is a rare USA city with a ton of unique culture. It's very international too.

But for $13k... That seems to be a safe overkill to me.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 PM

1,695 posts, read 2,227,073 times
Yeah it is doable, but visit the cities your interested in first, spend a couple - if not a few - days in well-researched neighborhoods before deciding. I love Philly because it's a fabulous city, but be honest. If you love Cleveland, go for it! You can always visit the City of Brotherly Love if you decide on elsewhere.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 PM

2,986 posts, read 2,943,637 times
Quote:
Cleveland, Ohio simply because A) I love it there and B) The Cost of Living is ridiculously cheap!!!
If you've been there already and love it then okay. But I wouldn't recommend anything ohio to anyone. Philadelphia is actually a city in the new england chain of atmospheres. I lived in Erie PA which is right beside cleveland and it is a "huge" city of wiggers and trash. We were on the "good" side of town and guns were pulled, stores had their windows smashed out, etc. And obviously drugged out hoodie wearing degenerates filled their central downtown. If cleveland is anything like that (which I would expect it is) then I would NOT recommend it.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,611,135 times
It's enough as long as you can find really cheap housing. Instead of getting your own place, try renting a room at someone's house in a decent area for like $300/month. Try Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia