Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:38 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

In my old area (Oxford Circle) it was very Jewish at one time. Not any more... Mostly Minorities now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 03:09 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
In my old area (Oxford Circle) it was very Jewish at one time. Not any more... Mostly Minorities now..
Jewish neighborhoods are historically among the most transient.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Jewish neighborhoods are historically among the most transient.

Yea I remember hearing the "Jewish always sell to blacks" many many years ago as a kid and though I shrugged off as not true, it sure seems to ring true in some neighborhoods.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:46 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
Quote:
Yea I remember hearing the "Jewish always sell to blacks" many many years ago as a kid and though I shrugged off as not true, it sure seems to ring true in some neighborhoods.
It was true in East Mt. Airy in the 1960/70's where I grew up.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
what minorities?

where am i?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
It was true in East Mt. Airy in the 1960/70's where I grew up.
That's because the Jews moved to the suburbs but held on to their inner-city businesses. For example, my friend's father's family moved out of the Northeast into Cherry Hill in the late 1960s, but they didn't sell off their furniture store until the early 2000s. In many of these retail business families, the children were usually pushed by their (often uneducated) parents to do well in school and get college/professional degrees. As a result, many of these children grew to become doctors, lawyers, and executives, and had little interest in keeping their parents' shops going.

The Jewish upward social mobility pattern is a very interesting phenomenon.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 09-03-2012 at 06:31 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I enjoyed this thread and learned a few things, too! I'm glad the OP asked the question. I'm Jewish and grew up in suburban Philadelphia in the 70's but moved away over 20 years ago. I don't usually read/participate in the Philadelphia board because I've been away so long, but I've been homesick lately. So thanks. :-)

Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I enjoyed this thread and learned a few things, too! I'm glad the OP asked the question. I'm Jewish and grew up in suburban Philadelphia in the 70's but moved away over 20 years ago. I don't usually read/participate in the Philadelphia board because I've been away so long, but I've been homesick lately. So thanks. :-)
How is Jewish life in the Triangle? Thinking about moving there after I graduate from Temple.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
How is Jewish life in the Triangle? Thinking about moving there after I graduate from Temple.
Well, I'm pretty new here (lived in DC area for 22 years), so I'm just learning about it. It's no Philadelphia, that's for sure, but decent for a relatively small southern city. Raleigh has a few synagogues of every denomination and a JCC. And Durham/Chapel Hill have a few synagogues (a conservative/orthodox one, a reform and a reconstructionist) and a JCC. Chabad is here as well.

As is often the case, the Jews seem to be concentrated where the good school districts are. In our elementary school, I'd say maybe 5-10% are Jewish. That's a guess. Each of my kids has at least one other Jewish person kid in their class. And on my block of about 15 houses, there are 3 Jewish families that I know of including us. Our school will have a teacher-in-service day for Yom Kippur, but I don't think that's a rule, but perhaps a happy, "please do it this day instead of that day" coincidence.

Kosher for Passover sections in the markets are small. People have kosher food trucked in from other cities (although you can find a small selection at some grocery stores), and there are no kosher restaurants.

Jewish life tends to revolve around synagogue activities (or perhaps at the universities such as Duke or UNC). In other words, it's there if you seek it, but you won't find it if you are not looking. I hope that helps.

And to keep this on topic, you will miss the Jewish Philly scene if that is what you are used to. Reading this thread, I had forgotten how much the Judaism around me growing up in the Phila. area I took for granted.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well, I'm pretty new here (lived in DC area for 22 years), so I'm just learning about it. It's no Philadelphia, that's for sure, but decent for a relatively small southern city. Raleigh has a few synagogues of every denomination and a JCC. And Durham/Chapel Hill have a few synagogues (a conservative/orthodox one, a reform and a reconstructionist) and a JCC. Chabad is here as well.

As is often the case, the Jews seem to be concentrated where the good school districts are. In our elementary school, I'd say maybe 5-10% are Jewish. That's a guess. Each of my kids has at least one other Jewish person kid in their class. And on my block of about 15 houses, there are 3 Jewish families that I know of including us. Our school will have a teacher-in-service day for Yom Kippur, but I don't think that's a rule, but perhaps a happy, "please do it this day instead of that day" coincidence.

Kosher for Passover sections in the markets are small. People have kosher food trucked in from other cities (although you can find a small selection at some grocery stores), and there are no kosher restaurants.

Jewish life tends to revolve around synagogue activities (or perhaps at the universities such as Duke or UNC). In other words, it's there if you seek it, but you won't find it if you are not looking. I hope that helps.

And to keep this on topic, you will miss the Jewish Philly scene if that is what you are used to. Reading this thread, I had forgotten how much the Judaism around me growing up in the Phila. area I took for granted.
Is Cary any better or similar to RDC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia