Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
SVM wasn't a boondoggle because, thankfully, it never got built.

The dual mode locomotives of the type that SEPTA would need weren't exactly off-the-shelf technology. The first of their kind just entered revenue service for NJTransit 4 months ago. Let's see how they work, get the bugs out, etc, before SEPTA jumps on the bandwagon.

I'm all for it but in this case it's prudent to let other transit agencies take the risk with a new product. If/when SEPTA orders a few of these it's not exactly as if it's just a matter of printing up some schedules. Land for stations and park&rides have to be aqcuired, stations built/made ADA compliant, and an expensive signal system has to be installed for the length of the route.
That's all fine and good but is this even on SEPTA's radar? They don't need to do this by next June but are they considering it by 2015? I doubt it. The last study I saw about extending the Reading Line was from 2008 or 2009 and SEPTA's name was nowhere to be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
That's all fine and good but is this even on SEPTA's radar? They don't need to do this by next June but are they considering it by 2015? I doubt it. The last study I saw about extending the Reading Line was from 2008 or 2009 and SEPTA's name was nowhere to be found.
It is on their radar. There's just no money on the radar. As of this year funding is 10 years out. That could change next year though. It all depends on state, local and federal transit funding.

http://www.dvrpc.org/tip/draft/trpa13d.pdf
Page 244 (it starts on 221) - also in there is funding for new trolleys!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Lunchtime Quick Hits | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

with the link to this
For Inspiration, Cash-Strapped SEPTA Looks to Regional Taxing Initiatives – Next American City

Old 09-18-2012, 12:13 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
It is on their radar. There's just no money on the radar. As of this year funding is 10 years out. That could change next year though. It all depends on state, local and federal transit funding.

http://www.dvrpc.org/tip/draft/trpa13d.pdf
Page 244 (it starts on 221) - also in there is funding for new trolleys!

It really is tragic. All the money our governments, especially the Fed, spend, and we are constantly told that there are going to be funding cutbacks for our own infrastructure.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Quote:
SVM wasn't a boondoggle because, thankfully, it never got built.

The dual mode locomotives of the type that SEPTA would need weren't exactly off-the-shelf technology. The first of their kind just entered revenue service for NJTransit 4 months ago. Let's see how they work, get the bugs out, etc, before SEPTA jumps on the bandwagon.

I'm all for it but in this case it's prudent to let other transit agencies take the risk with a new product. If/when SEPTA orders a few of these it's not exactly as if it's just a matter of printing up some schedules. Land for stations and park&rides have to be aqcuired, stations built/made ADA compliant, and an expensive signal system has to be installed for the length of the route.
Didn't know they just entered service for NJT. Those are the exact kind SEPTA would need since they use overhead power. Metro North and Amtrak have used dual-modes for years now. One type of the P42DC is fitted with a third rail shoe to collect power on the way into NYC. Different collection mechanism, but the same general principle, and it seems to have worked fine for them.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Didn't know they just entered service for NJT. Those are the exact kind SEPTA would need since they use overhead power. Metro North and Amtrak have used dual-modes for years now. One type of the P42DC is fitted with a third rail shoe to collect power on the way into NYC. Different collection mechanism, but the same general principle, and it seems to have worked fine for them.

I'm pretty sure LIRR uses them too . . . and if SEPTA was using a 3rd rail system for RR then it would be a no-brainer as those trains have been around for a long time . . . but SEPTA's RR system (like NJTransit) is AC and those trains haven't really been tested yet.

I'm not saying that the technology is a stretch but it is a unique scenario and just like a lot of hybrid cars have had problems in their early model years - this "hybrid" train will more than likely have some kinks to work out too.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Even where I am, way up in NW Philly, I could get downtown in a fairly reasonable amount of time even in the middle of the night if I had to.
Is there much security on the SEPTA in the middle of the night though?

I use to live in NYC, and occassionally took the subway in the middle of the night, if I was staying in Manhattan. But, always felt a bit more uncomfortable about it, going too far away from 'the action'.

When you're the only one in a subway car, always felt like there is a potential to have 'a visitor' coming to visit you.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is there much security on the SEPTA in the middle of the night though?

I use to live in NYC, and occassionally took the subway in the middle of the night, if I was staying in Manhattan. But, always felt a bit more uncomfortable about it, going too far away from 'the action'.

When you're the only one in a subway car, always felt like there is a potential to have 'a visitor' coming to visit you.
What are people thinking is "the middle of the night"? Because my first thought was that most of SEPTA shuts down in the middle of the night, so that's sort of a non-issue. But...I guess SEPTA buses do still run, and buses generally are a little shadier than subways IMO.

The only times I've ever felt creeped out on the NYC subway have been between like 3-5am, when a too-high proportion of people still on the subway are drunk and/or weirdos trying to extend their nights.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 PM

89 posts, read 148,896 times
I was without a car (stolen) for 5 years and I used Septa to get from NE Philly (Welsh Rd) to work in Center City and back 3 times a week and every 3rd weekend. It was OK except for the occasional surly 88 bus driver (female), the hoodlum Lincoln high school kids (female) or the no 88 service Sunday mornings. I worked 7pm to 7am shifts. I no longer do either since I bought a car (Septa discontinued the PhillyCarShare Pods at FTC - bastids) and I need to get to my parents house in Germantown faster than the 2 hours it takes by bus and train whenever. If I got another job in Center City or another area that would be Septa friendly, I wouldn't hesitate to ride again and park the car. Only this time, I probably would drive to FTC or somewhere to avoid the 88!

Old 03-29-2014, 11:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Wasn't sure where to put this - is from a different forum but here it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
As much as I like this new tower from the 2nd floor up, Inga is absolutely on point here. This thing makes absolutely no attempt to integrate itself with the neighborhoods to the east. Granted the Naval Square development right next to this already kills a lot of the urbanity leading up to the waterfront, but this development would completely finish the job. I'm really hoping they reconsider their site plan after Civic Design Review.

This also points out the need for improved public transportation options around here.
So taking this on a rainy day I decided to create my own new Fantasy map to tie new potential infrastructure and job centers (UCity/30th St Railyard/CHOP S Street/South Bank). In addition a loop in Center City; extension on Columbus Blvd and us of the Pennsy Cut.

My grand plan (fantasy) also has extensions as follows:

Parkside Ave and an extension of the Bala RR Line (only now Light rail) through the park to Bala and using the existing bridge to terminate in Manyunk on Main Street.

Another that extends from the Pennsy cut at Girard up 33rd street to eventually use the Chestnut Hill West RR Row to make thi line from RR to Light Rail.

There is also an extension of the same line as above through CC (on Market) and north on Columbus to Girard.

The loop would include either the Bala/Manyunk extension (terminate at Market/Columbus) or the CH West to Girard Line which would run through the Pennsy Cut and down Market to Columbus.

The Loop would run across the Girard bridge over to the zoo.

There would be new key stops to include potentially:

Attractions
Zoo
Art Museum(Prison)
Parkway (Barnes/Franklin Inst)
Mann
ME/RTM/Conv Center
Independence Mall
Penns Landing
Italian Market
(Potentially Reading Viaduct which it will use)

Job Centers
30th Street
ME
Ind Mall
South Street (Both ends)
South Banks
Loft District (To me to be a zoned development site)

Nabes Linked
U City
Parkside
Bala
Manyunk
CH West
Fishtown/No Libs
De River Waterfront
ME
Old City
QV Pennsport
Bella Vista/Passyunk Sq
Point Breeze/GHo
etc.

Subway/Trolly/CR Links
30th Street
Broad
Federal/Ellsworth
Market
Market East
Girard (Both ends)
Spring Garden (but see no reason to directly connect)

It would also leverage a fair amount of exiting Higher speed ROW to include:

Pennsy Cut
30th Street Railyard and extension to South Bank
Fairmount Park (Both sides)
Bala RR Line
CH West RR Line
Columbus Ave Median

It would have both visitor site seeing benefits and job center benefits

I could see each line runnin peak on 15 minute headways; making for 5-10 (max) headways in the core loop. Also could see this as being a 21 hour line (esp on weekends to help better serve core areas.

Just one mans rainy day Fantasy but the more I think of this the more I really how this would significantly enhance PT options in the core

So here it is

<iframe style="height: 270px; width: 450px;" src="http://www.mapquest.com/embed?hk=P4uwaW" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia