Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times

Advertisements

Look at Haddonfield and Moorestown NJ.. It does not get any better then these towns.. And your minutes away from Philly

Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haddonfield,_New_Jersey

Home - Moorestown Township, New Jersey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorest...ip,_New_Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Haddonfield and Moorestown will be tough to swing, but as I mentioned before, Haddon Heights and Haddon Township could do the trick.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:24 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
And this //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/ would be a better place to discuss NJ towns.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:27 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,930 times
Try to check out Collingswood, NJ. At just 13 minutes over the bridge, you get a good amount for your money. Schools are above average and the cost of living is reasonable. You cannot beat our holiday scenery! Check out Collingswood.com

Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
My wife and I have recently narrowed down our "new home" list, and the Philly metro is on the list. There seems to be an endless amount of suburbs (compared to Memphis) ,and we feel a little lost. So, I figured maybe you guys could help us out. We want a town within a reasonable commute to center city. We would also love to have...
•walkable area with shops, cafes, restaurants etc etc
•the better the schools, the better it is for us
•we would like a town with a somewhat close-knit community
•parks and other recreational activities would be great, as well as things like holiday festivals.
•250k-300k housing, with a decent yard. Could go higher if needed

We know we aren't likely to get it all, but if we could maybe get pointed in the right direction, we could visit certain towns and go from there. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ps... as a braves fan, I have heard about phillies fans being rude, mean etc etc. How are they really? At least when it comes to a rival like the braves. I figure this is not really the case, but might as well ask.
Here's the OP ^^^

Honest to goodness.... Do Philadelphia posters pop over to the South Jersey board to talk up our PA suburbs?? Nothing wrong with mentioning a couple but there are more posts on this thread recommending places in NJ then here in PA.

Imissthe90's, please feel free to pop over to the New Jersey forum to ask more about those towns. The direct message feature is also a nice option.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Here's the OP ^^^

Honest to goodness.... Do Philadelphia posters pop over to the South Jersey board to talk up our PA suburbs?? Nothing wrong with mentioning a couple but there are more posts on this thread recommending places in NJ then here in PA.

Imissthe90's, please feel free to pop over to the New Jersey forum to ask more about those towns. The direct message feature is also a nice option.
Many prospective newcomers to the Philadelphia area are often (understandably) unaware that South Jersey is just as culturally and economically linked to the urban core as are the northern and western suburbs. When posting on the New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia board, I recommend both Pennsylvania and South Jersey towns if they happen to make sense for the OP at hand. The same goes for posters on the Philadelphia board. I can certainly understand the desire to keep threads focused on one side of the Delaware over the other, but it's just plain silly to view Philadelphia's northern and western suburbs as existing in a vacuum separate from their eastern cousins. When someone expresses a vague desire to be "close to the city," municipalities from each of these three sectors can come into play.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:54 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
........it's just plain silly to view Philadelphia's northern and western suburbs as existing in a vacuum separate from their eastern cousins. When someone expresses a vague desire to be "close to the city," municipalities from each of these three sectors can come into play.

^^^^^^
What he said.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Here's the OP ^^^

that is absolutely fine to do.. The south jersey towns ARE the Philly burbs thats why they are mentioned. ESPECIALLY when pa towns like Doylestown are mentioned when it is 45 minutes from Philly and the South Jersey town are 10 minutes tops from Philly

Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM

The people have spoken!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM

266 posts, read 410,270 times
I am not sure how close/far you want to live from the city but Chester County is very nice. I am from Kennett Square and it has all of the things that you listed. The borroughs population is about 5,000 - 7,000 in one square mile. You can walk to everything, downtown State Street has shops, restuarants and some bars, the community is definitly close knit as it has a small town feel (but is a short drive from everywhere). The school district, Kennett Consolidated School District, is a very good, up and comming district, I think it won an award for something last year. There are plenty of parks, in fact I can't think of a place with more parks in the area. In town there is Anson B. Nixon park, while the area surrounding town has many more such as White Clay. As far as festivals and activites Kennett is actually known as a festival town. The Mushroom Festival attracts over 100,000 here every year. Kennett is also in very nice location as you get can get to Philly in about 35 - 40 minutes, the beach (DE or NJ) is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, NYC is a little over 2 hours away, Baltimore is about an hour and a half away and DC is about 2 and half hours away. Also you are about 5 - 10 minutes from Delaware which has tax free shopping. You can also easily find a house with a yard for in the 250 - 300k range. Philly fans are pretty tough but more so towards fans in the cities right around us (NYC, DC, etc.) or the Cowboys. Kennett Square was ranked as one of the coolest small towns in America last year too. Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Travel Advice, Vacation Ideas | Budget Travel Oh yeah it is also considered the "mushroom capital of the world" lol. The philly suburbs do go on in every direction for a while though so comming to a decision will be hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia