Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 AM

220 posts, read 475,342 times

Advertisements

I saw another thread in which a person was asking how big CC is. I wondered if this was the only place to live within the city limits of Philly?

I hope not. Population wise, how big is it?

What about other areas. I hope the city has more to offer than just CC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
Is Center City the only place in Philly to live?
No.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,657 times
According to wikipedia, the population is just over 57,000 Center City, Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (It may very well be wrong but that sounds about right) but that is just a small fraction of the population of Philly. It does have more to offer than center city, but that is most likely where tourist go due to the large majority of attractions being centered around there. From what I understand, Manayunk is a fun neighborhood (although it is hardly the only nice one, just one that I am more familiar with.)

Old 09-24-2012, 06:23 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
I saw another thread in which a person was asking how big CC is. I wondered if this was the only place to live within the city limits of Philly?

There are various popular urban neighborhoods both adjacent to or convenient to Center City. Note that Center City itself is made up of several different neighborhoods.

Some commonly sought-after neighborhoods for active couples and singles might include the following:

North Philly - Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Fairmount

West Philly - University City (made up of several sections), Powelton Village

South Philly - Bella Vista, Queen Village, Pennsport, East Passyunk area. Generally speaking, most anywhere east of Broad St. is fine by urban standards. Others can specify better the few questionable areas.

Northwest Philly - Manayunk, Chestnut Hill, West/East Mount Airy. Roxborough is fine albeit more family-oriented.

Northeast Philly - aka "the concrete suburb". The highest concentration of family-friendly neighborhoods, particularly in the "Far Northeast." It would make for an inconvenient commute to Center City; many suburban areas are closer.

Southwest Philly - Areas adjacent to the airport - e.g. Eastwick - are okay but only best for those who work at or fly out of the airport.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:52 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Northeast Philly - aka "the concrete suburb". The highest concentration of family-friendly neighborhoods, particularly in the "Far Northeast." It would make for an inconvenient commute to Center City; many suburban areas are closer.
I think the commute to Center City is much easier if you live close to either Cottman Avenue or the Boulevard. Although I found that north of around Rhawn Street or the park - the Boulevard is really pedestrian unfriendly and a car would probably be needed.

A friend of mine used to say Philly stops being Philly past Cottman.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:45 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,182 times
Quote:

It may be the only place if no other places meet your criteria. Re-post your question using //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...some-maps.html as a template.

FWIW, Philly's downtown is one of the most populous in the US - only NY and Chicago are larger. Check out Center City, Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to get a feel for the different neighborhoods within Center City.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
A friend of mine used to say Philly stops being Philly past Cottman.
Just google mapping, I was surprised at how 'suburban' it suddenly looked north of Cottman.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,089,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just google mapping, I was surprised at how 'suburban' it suddenly looked north of Cottman.
It does look suburban, kind of like how Staten Island looks in New York. Very residential, with some trees, and shopping centers and lots of traffic. However, I would argue that you are still very much in the city even though it's somewhat suburban (city issues, city schools, city taxes, etc.).

Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
According to wikipedia, the population is just over 57,000 Center City, Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (It may very well be wrong but that sounds about right) but that is just a small fraction of the population of Philly. It does have more to offer than center city, but that is most likely where tourist go due to the large majority of attractions being centered around there. From what I understand, Manayunk is a fun neighborhood (although it is hardly the only nice one, just one that I am more familiar with.)
Quote:
Center City's population grew to 88,000 by the end of 2005 from 78,000 in 2000
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/08/re...anted=all&_r=0

of course, the simple answer to the question is no, it's not. Drover answered it.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:49 PM

630 posts, read 994,041 times
Center City has alot of rifrafts and somewhat shady despite some ok pockets of the downtown area like South St. and the immediate area of Rittenhouse sq. I wouldn't live there. I'd stay in the Pennsylvania or New Jersey suburbs. There are alot of crimes and rundown areas in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia