Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,828 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to the Philadelphia area for work and was hoping for some advice. I currently live in the Roscoe Village neighborhood of Chicago. I was hoping to find something similar in the Philadelphia area. I've heard it called suburban/urban. Basically, an area with some things going on for local entertainment but not a crazy scene. And as well, more space and less congestion. I would prefer to avoid the city wage tax and will be working from home. I plan on renting the 1st year and deciding from then on with a max budget of $1600 per month.

In terms of me, I am a mid 30's male and work as a consultant with about 30% air travel and the rest will be working up and down the NYC to DC region with clients in between. Airport/train access would be a positive too. I welcome all suggestions and advice. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Media would be relatively convenient to the airport and a quick ride on the Regional Rail train would connect you to Amtrak at 30th Street. State Street is fairly lively with a Main Street USA appeal that attracts all ages. Your budget would afford you a pretty good 2BR apt with some change left over.

You may enjoy West Chester as well though your during time spent on Gay Street, you may sometimes rub shoulders with students from the nearby namesake state university. It's further out though and a distance to train access. Rent should be more or less the same as Media.

Wayne is one of the contiguous upscale towns running along Route 30/Lancaster Avenue known as the Main Line. While there are things going on further down in Bryn Mawr and Ardmore, this may have the most sophisticated scene. Your budget may score you a pretty nice 1BR apt here; a 2BR might be a stretch. You can take the Regional Rail to the airport from here via a connection at 30th Street for a ~ 1 hour ride.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,067 times
I second the Media suggestion. It's close to the airport, and has that 'suburban/urban' vibe you mentioned. I think State St. is one of the the best 'main streets' of any Philadelphia suburb.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 AM

95 posts, read 180,732 times
If you will be frequently taking Amtrak, I would think that living in center city would have enough added convenience that it would more than make up for the wage tax. You could walk to 30th street station, and be a 15 minute hailed-cab ride away from the airport. If you live a bit south or north of rittenhouse (Fitler square, Graduate Hospital, or Fairmount), you'll be outside of the "crazy scene" zone, but still with easy access to restaurants, bars, etc. when you feel like going out.

Another thing to consider if you plan on eventually buying, is that the relatively high wage tax can be a wash when you take into account the relatively low real estate taxes in Philly.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 AM

283 posts, read 607,237 times
You're not going to get more space and less congestion in Center City.

If you need to keep a car, you may want to check out Collingswood, NJ. Your budget will get you a rowhouse, twin, or single family rental house. There is a top-tier restaurant district on Haddon Avenue, 3 parks in town, the 24/7 PATCO train to Philly, and you're a 20 minute drive to the airport. Also, if you wind up working in the city, NJ will credit you for Philly wage tax against your NJ state income tax. It works out to be a good deal if you work in the city.

Otherwise, you may want to check out the Northwestern portion of the city as well. Areas like the Manayunk/Roxborough area are affordable, safe, have a bit of a nightlife scene, but don't have the Center City rental prices and annoyances of keeping a car (many places towards Ridge Ave have garages in the back of the rowhomes). The Northwestern portion of the city definitely has its suburban elements.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM

681 posts, read 1,512,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
You're not going to get more space and less congestion in Center City.

If you need to keep a car, you may want to check out Collingswood, NJ. Your budget will get you a rowhouse, twin, or single family rental house. There is a top-tier restaurant district on Haddon Avenue, 3 parks in town, the 24/7 PATCO train to Philly, and you're a 20 minute drive to the airport. Also, if you wind up working in the city, NJ will credit you for Philly wage tax against your NJ state income tax. It works out to be a good deal if you work in the city.

Otherwise, you may want to check out the Northwestern portion of the city as well. Areas like the Manayunk/Roxborough area are affordable, safe, have a bit of a nightlife scene, but don't have the Center City rental prices and annoyances of keeping a car (many places towards Ridge Ave have garages in the back of the rowhomes). The Northwestern portion of the city definitely has its suburban elements.
I second Tom on Collingswood. We have lived here for 6 years and like it very much. we are in the city in 12 minutes by train. The town has kind of a "village feel" but is close enough to enjoy the city. My only downside to media besisdes being a bit furthur out, is that your access to the city by rail is limited. PATCO runs 24/7 but many SEPTA regional rails stop at different points after rush hour and before midnight on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia