Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 51,238 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife currently works in Center City at N Broad and Vine St. I work just north of Wilmington in Claymont, DE.

We really like where we live in suburban NJ just outside Cherry Hill, but we're spending over $650 in gas and tolls per month which is really a pain.

We'd like to move to the PA side to at least avoid the tolls for both of us. However, we prefer the suburban lifestyle and having a private garage is a must for me (safety reasons and I also work on my cars over the weekend).

My first thought was to look into listings within Center City so she'd be able to walk to work. We obviously wouldn't be in the suburbs, but it would still be ideal if she could walk to work and I drove to Claymont. However, I think this is probably asking for the impossible with the private garage requirement.

I've now turned to looking at suburbs between Center City and Claymont. A townhouse style community would be highly preferred. We're looking to keep her driving commute within 15-25 minutes (due to the nature of her work). I don't mind commuting up to an hour. We love Media, PA but it seems like her commute could be well over 30 minutes if there is traffic.

I'm hoping some of you can throw out some suggestions (either towns to focus on, or even townhouse/apartment rental community names if possible). I've tried looking but the separate garaged parking is always the issue (for some reason, this seemed a lot easier to find on the NJ side).

We'd prefer to stay below $1,500, but we're flexible (especially if something exists within walking distance of Broad/Vine).

Thanks everyone in advance!

Last edited by knicks0819; 10-05-2012 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: including budget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
RE: Media, is she opposed to taking the train in from there?

Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM

283 posts, read 607,289 times
I suggest you run your math numbers carefully. Have you considered getting a more economical car for your commuting to Delaware? I believe the Delaware Memorial Bridge is only $4/day, which would be $1040 a year if you worked 5 days every week of the year, plus your wife's commuting costs. Has your wife considered taking PATCO and transferring to the BSL instead of driving in? Both things would substantially cut down on your commuting costs. Public transit would be pre-tax too.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that your wife will lose her ability to claim her Philadelphia wage tax against your NJ State Tax liability. You may find that your overall tax burden goes up by moving to PA. NJ will issue you a wage tax credit on your income taxes. In PA, you may owe a local wage tax of up to 1% on your Delaware salary.

I'm not a professional accountant, but just be sure to do ALL of the math and see if there are other ways that you can skin the cat that may make you happier than moving.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 PM

11 posts, read 51,238 times
Appreciate the responses.

Unfortunately, she can't rely on public transportation if living outside walking distance. She's a medical resident and if she's on an overnight call, she can be called in at any hour in cases of emergencies. We do love Media but it seems like it'd take an hour or more door to door, which is not recommended by her hospital. She can park for free at the hospital, so all this makes driving really preferrable.

As far as the bridges, we both take the Commodore Barry Bridge (Del Mem is really out of the way for both of us). She commutes about 28 times a month, I commute 22 times a month. That's 50 trips at $5 apiece, so $250 in tolls per month. Both of our cars are newer Toyotas and we already get good mileage.

State residency isn't an issue. We plan to keep our NJ residency status. Neither of us make enough to have it impact our tax situation anyway.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post

The reason I'm bringing this up is that your wife will lose her ability to claim her Philadelphia wage tax against your NJ State Tax liability. You may find that your overall tax burden goes up by moving to PA. NJ will issue you a wage tax credit on your income taxes. In PA, you may owe a local wage tax of up to 1% on your Delaware salary.

I'm not a professional accountant, but just be sure to do ALL of the math and see if there are other ways that you can skin the cat that may make you happier than moving.

Good luck with your decision!
Good looking out for the man but he will be able to take a credit against his local earned income tax for amounts over the 3.07% PA rate. In other words if the DE rate is 5.5%, you will generally get a credit on your PA return for an amount equal to your DE income multiplied by 3.07%, and a credit against any local EIT (except the wage tax) up to 2.43%, which is the excess of the DE rate over the PA rate. Most local EIT's in PA are 1-1.5%.

The NJ rate for a couple filing jointly is 5.525% for income between approx. $75k and $150k and 6.37% between $150k and $500k. The PA rate is a flat 3.07% and the Philadelphia city wage tax is about 3.5% for nonresidents. The calculations can get cumbersome but you get the idea. With NJ's higher graduated income tax rates there's not a huge difference.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
A rental community with a garage in which you can work on your car is almost non existent but condo townhouses with that feature are numerous. Maybe you can rent one of those through a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia