U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,448 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about making a move. I've been in the Northeast for 30 years, between upstate NY and Philly. I'm dreaming of real outdoor activities, sunny skies to run under and friendly neighbors. I like to think that I like the artsy parts of Philly, but the fact is that we rarely go to plays, orchestra, museums, etc. We're working on kids, but Philly's crime rate isn't too appealing. Sure the suburbs of Philly are a bit safer but the kids carry gucci purses at 7. If not, they know that they exist. We may miss Philly's liberal vibe though and our great friends. Should we make a move?

Last edited by leavinphilly; 09-29-2006 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 05:21 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,906,526 times
Default I did it.

That's why I moved out. My children. Too much violence and crime...I go ttoo disgusted reading the daily news and seeing the horrible stories. Horrible schools. Yes, I did move to a more "affluent" area in Florida(when I was considering it, the area wasn't too bad, more and more kept coming). Yes, I do think it is pathetic that all of hte girls at my son's middle school are carrying more expensive pocketbooks than I do-the cheapest was Coach, and cell phones and I-pods. But. My son is greating a GREAT with a huge capital G education. We live in a great environment where I don't have to worry about him playing outside-at all. (of course you have to worry anywhere because anything can happen, but you know what I mean). In Philly, I had to put him in a private school because of the horrible public schools (and I was a public school teacher, and I tried what I could...but when children grow up with a certain kind of...upbringing, there is only so much a person can do). I wouldn't let him go futher than this house or that house playing-and he still go this face slammed into the concrete that caused such a lump and bruising that I took pictures ready to press charges. I am not finding dime bags down here like I found in Philly. Nor are the cops getting called because someone brought a gun to a block party.
If you have children, I would say to do what you feel is best, but what I felt best for mine was to move them to a safer environment that would be better for them.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,622 times
I feel the same way... been in NE philly for almost 40 years.....

I like almost every place I've traveled to around the globe

Philly has come back since the 1970s but only in certain areas and the NE is turning into a ghetto

All the filth is being pushed up here since other areas get rebuilt.

The mayor doesn't care about the N.E. as he doesn't live there.

Even east falls is coming back because Rendell has a home in the area.

TIME TO ESCAPE

Old 10-18-2006, 07:22 AM

127 posts, read 351,752 times
I used to live in the Philly area. I moved to the sunbelt 14 years ago and I miss Philly. People will tell you great things about hte sunbelt: the friendly people, the outdoor lifestyle, and the housing opportunities and job market. The outdoor lifestyle comes with a price - premature aging of the skin if you're pale. In the summer, from May to September it's too hot to enjoy the outdoors. I've had trouble buying good meat. I have to go to the pricey grocery stores to get good meat and fish. The regular grocery stores have terrible meat and seafood. The people are friendly enough but calling me Yankee is kind of rude. I never met anyone I wanted to get to know very well. My friends are other transplants because I have more in common with them. The commutes are longer because traffic is pretty bad. Yes the housing is a good bargain but the real estate taxes are high. INsurance is high too. The new developments don't have enough bug diversity so the fireants rule. You need to use alot of pesticides. To travel home and see my family it costs thousands. My kids are growing up without seeing much of my family. I know many people from up north who love this lifestyle but not me. Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:08 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,039,954 times
How about the 'burbs south of Philly? It is so beautiful out there, and you'll still be close enough to the city to enjoy all it has to offer.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:22 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,434,405 times
Ditto Christina0001's suggestion: Bucks and Chester Counties are beautiful. Personally I'm not a fan of Montgomery County, but another's experience may be different. Also, across the bridge into many parts of Burlington Co. NJ, not far from Philly might be nice.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:54 PM

8 posts, read 55,045 times
Yes. I'd move to the Swarthmore-Media area. Artsy. Educated. Great Schools. Liberal vibe for sure. People post "One world Peace" Signs on their lawns. Not snobby. Feels like the midwest with plenty of gorgeous neighborhoods in town or more rural areas outside. BUT also 25 minutes on the SEPTA into Philly...not the 45 minute - 1.15 hour commute of Chester Counties. AND 15 minutes from tax free shopping in Delaware. try RealEstateMadeEasy.us to view homes in the area.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
you should try the Albany ny, Northhampton Mass area of the Northeast--awesome outdoors activities with more down to earth values not so materialistic.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:26 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,393,875 times
Don't be fooled,it's all rotten. My advice to anyone who gets a chance is get as far away from here as possible. I've been looking at Montana myself.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:56 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Don't be fooled,it's all rotten. My advice to anyone who gets a chance is get as far away from here as possible. I've been looking at Montana myself.
Keep going. Hows Fairbanks sound to you? Beat it clown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia