Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I find it really unfortunate that chester is number 2 on that list. And that camden and wilmington arent far behind, gives off a negative vibe to the entire area. But i dont see things in chester and camden changing anytime soon.
AC is right there with them as well. Philadelphia at 52 doesn't bring much confidence either. While I'm certain it was much higher not long ago, it still has a long way until people don't see it as a city with a crime problem.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
damn, looks like hotford and new haven is still bad

Apathy - Peace Connecticut - produced by Da Beatminerz - YouTube

Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
AC is right there with them as well. Philadelphia at 52 doesn't bring much confidence either. While I'm certain it was much higher not long ago, it still has a long way until people don't see it as a city with a crime problem.
Im happy with Philadelphia's improvements, and Im sure the city will continue to improve, b my prediction is that the city will still be seen in a negative way for for a decade or so. Chester just doesnt have any slight hope of a promising future at this point, which is upsetting because it had potential to be a great water front town.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Im happy with Philadelphia's improvements, and Im sure the city will continue to improve, b my prediction is that the city will still be seen in a negative way for for a decade or so. Chester just doesnt have any slight hope of a promising future at this point, which is upsetting because it had potential to be a great water front town.
It also doesn't help being in close proximity to 5 cities that made list.

#2 Chester, PA
#5 Camden, NJ
#8 Wilmington, DE
#9 Atlantic City, NJ
#31 Trenton, NJ

Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

#2 Chester, PA
#5 Camden, NJ
#8 Wilmington, DE
#9 Atlantic City, NJ
#31 Trenton, NJ
You forgot Bridgeton at 44. Looks like south Jersey is really pulling the area down.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

#2 Chester, PA
#5 Camden, NJ
#8 Wilmington, DE
#9 Atlantic City, NJ
#31 Trenton, NJ
That is a bad list for the whole area, because most of the region is far from anything like those few cities. But most people dont usually see the area negatively just philadelphia.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rombola7 View Post
If we broke up the city then North Philly would be #1, West Philly would be #2, and South Philly would be #3.
Southwest Philly, maybe.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rombola8 View Post
No. South Philly would be on the list. The most dangerous school in the entire state is South Philly High. THey had the MOSt reported crimes of any school in the state. Point Breeze is in South PHilly. South Philly, West of Broad has some high crime areas.
Yeah, I'm still gonna go with no. South Philly has its rough areas, but it has a much lower proportion of crime-ridden blight than West (and especially North) Philadelphia. Maybe South Philly would still show up on the list, but it would be much further down from the other two.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rombola.7 View Post
Do you send your kids to public school?

Why are whites only 10% of the students in the entire city? Isn't that a little low?

Thanks to the Dems, schoool choice and busing the same criminals from North PHilly can simply get on the BSL with a free token and then go to school in South PHilly.
That's another issue entirely. Because wealthy families overwhelmingly self-select out of Philadelphia's neighborhood schools, school placement doesn't necessarily correlate with immediate neighborhood safety. Chestnut Hill and West Mount Airy feed into some of the worst elementary schools in the city. Even Fitler Square and Rittenhouse place into South Philly High. That doesn't change the fact that these are among the city's wealthiest neighborhoods.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rombola7 View Post
It also does not change the fact that South Philly is a high crime areas thanks to school choice, busing and public housing.

Dems show their true colors when it comes to their kids. They will act like their neighborhood is safe but as soon as it comes time to send their kids to public school then you find out what they really think.

Do you send your kids to public school?
I don't have children. If I did, I would probably live outside the City, where quality schools don't cost an arm and a leg (Philly magnets aside, but even if you're theoretically qualified, getting into them is far from a sure thing). I'm not disagreeing that Philly schools are terrible for the most part. But South Philly as a whole is significantly safer than its northern and western counterparts. If you can find aggregate neighborhood crime statistics that prove me wrong, please show them to me. Otherwise, I'm not interesting in hearing your "inferences."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia