Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM

12 posts, read 23,659 times

Advertisements

What are some nice suburbs to live in outside Philly?

Price Range: Under $600K for a decent house
Type of neighborhood: safe, maybe near woods
Downtown: Yes
Income level: middle class to upper middle class
Time to downtown Philly: 20-35 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 03:59 PM

9,322 posts, read 12,959,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernNJdude View Post
What are some nice suburbs to live in outside Philly?

Price Range: Under $600K for a decent house
Type of neighborhood: safe, maybe near woods
Downtown: Yes
Income level: middle class to upper middle class
Time to downtown Philly: 20-35 minutes
Define "decent house," because a budget ceiling of $600k will find you detached, single-family homes in even our most exclusive suburbs.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:41 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,121,192 times
HeavenWood is corrrect. Perhaps $600K doesn't go so far in North Jersey but it will likely rate you a quality home in most upper-middle/lower-upper income neighborhoods. Off the top of my head:

Elkins Park, Melrose Park, Huntington Valley, Jenkintown. Technically, Jenkintown acts as the "downtown" of the 5-10 radius surrounding it. Not really woodsy but fairly quiet, particularly east of Route 611/Old York Road.

Lafayette Hill, Blue Bell. Borders the tony Chestnut Hill neighborhood across the city line which would act as your effective downtown. (Edit: Chestnut Hill also has two train stations that are about a 25 minute ride from Center City.) Back in the 'burbs, Plymouth Meeting Mall would satisfy your typical mid-to-upscale retail needs.

Media. Sells itself as "America's hometown". State Street is lovely.

The Main Line: a contiguous line of traditionally upscale neighborhoods leading from Overbrook across the city line to Paoli with the main road being Lancaster Avenue/Route 30. If you caught the express Paoli/Thorndale train into the city, you could conceivably live out as far as Radnor or St. David's and still be within your preferred commute time. However, the value of what you get for your money would be less than other neighborhoods mentioned and may even rival some North Jersey locales. Others more familiar may know better, but my layman's guess is that better values - not to mention a shorter commute - might be found in Ardmore and Wynnewood. Wayne, Bryn Mawr and Ardmore all have active downtowns.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-09-2012 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,837,571 times
That kind of money will get you a very nice home in Moorestown NJ. Has a gorgous down town too. Much lower taxes then North jersey too. In line with any of the pa burbs. Actually if you want to be 25-35 mins of Center city, south jersey is your best bet. OR Haddonfield nj which has even a nicer downtown.. Very old colonial homes too.

Moorestown Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Historic Haddonfield Home Page

Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

Haddonfield, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,899,658 times
Narbeth or Ardmore west of the city, or Jenkintown or Abington north of the city sound like they would fit well.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,837,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Narbeth or Ardmore west of the city, or Jenkintown or Abington north of the city sound like they would fit well.

I agree except you ain't getting to CC in the time required by the op. Thats a tough requirement actually

Old 11-09-2012, 12:06 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,762,328 times
From Jenkintown it is 30 to 45 minutes depending on time of day and traffic. The zip is 19046 for Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent - REALTOR.com®. Jenkintown is a small boro with it's own government. Most people who use Jenkintown for an address don't literally live in the boro but rather in surrounding Abington Township.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 PM

9,322 posts, read 12,959,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I agree except you ain't getting to CC in the time required by the op. Thats a tough requirement actually
The Eastern Main Line through to Central Delco can definitely be done in 20-35 minutes by either car or train, depending on where in those areas/where in Center City. The Near Northern suburbs can be done in that time by train, albeit you're scraping against the upper limit.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,079,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post

Frank, Glenside to Suburban Station is 28 minutes by train (I just checked www.septa.org). Abington is about 5 minutes north of Glenside so that commute is about 33 minutes. Jenkintown is about 5 minutes south of Glenside so that commute is about 23 minutes. A drive from Glenside to CC is about 10-12 miles and would take 30-45 minutes.

Narberth to Suburban Station is about 20 minutes via train. Ardmore is about 25 minutes. A drive from Narberth to CC is about 10 miles and would take about 30-45 minutes.

There are plenty of places convenient to Center City, even in PA.

If I could recommend my preference, I'd suggest Jenkintown (part of Abington Township). Great selection of older, stone homes in your price range. Taxes will be high ($8k-$12k) but probably still less than North Jersey. Certain sections of Jenkintown are more "town-y" with tree-lined streets, while other sections are more suburban with bigger yards with trees. It's congested in that it's a very developed area (about 3,500 people per square mile per Wikipedia if you are into statistics), but it's not congested like Seacaucus or other similar places in North Jersey. It's an older area that's not highway-centric like North Jersey. Much of the areas developed around the trains, actually.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,762,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post

Frank, Glenside to Suburban Station is 28 minutes by train (I just checked www.septa.org). Abington is about 5 minutes north of Glenside so that commute is about 33 minutes. Jenkintown is about 5 minutes south of Glenside so that commute is about 23 minutes. A drive from Glenside to CC is about 10-12 miles and would take 30-45 minutes.

Narberth to Suburban Station is about 20 minutes via train. Ardmore is about 25 minutes. A drive from Narberth to CC is about 10 miles and would take about 30-45 minutes.

There are plenty of places convenient to Center City, even in PA.
To be fair, if you aren't driving you should add the time from your house to the train station, parking and actually waiting for the train to arrive. I am guessing you have just doubled your commute time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia