Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,298,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Every square inch of Pennsylvania is incorporated in some form of another. Coming from a part of the country where County Government often rules the day, I can understand why all this would be daunting for a prospective newcomer. Heck, a lot of lifetime natives don't fully get it.
Thanks. Hopefully some of this info helps the original poster, and I won't interrupt this thread anymore! I am Asian as well, so I had a few related questions about the area in question.

My own move to your metro is planned for the later part of 2013, so hope to start a similar thread at the appropriate time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 PM

62 posts, read 832,768 times
i live in ardsley, which is a section of abington in glenside. i am also from the west coast and have so far found it to be pretty laid back, which helps my mindset. i cannot speak to the schooling issue or the asian demographic tho

Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,262 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
Default ambler is awesome

i'd highly recommend checking out ambler. there is not that much housing stock because people don't really leave and it also depends on what you like. mostly everything in ambler borough is older homes - lie 40 to 100 years old. We love old homes and wanted to be able to walk places (restaurant, bars, parks, etc.) with our family. We just moved here a few months ago and couldn't be happier. It is diverse in race, ethnicity and socio economically which, for my family, is important to grow up around diversity. We have excellent dining and some good shopping. our area is really growing too! there are many old people and many families. we are super, super happy to grow our family here and we will raise our kids here. Come check us out!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 PM

19 posts, read 32,739 times
I am in the process of house hunting, due to a relocation and have been looking in the Blue Bell area. Any insights into the colonial school district? I guess the town of blue bell divides into more than one school system.

As for Ambler town center, I would agree that it has lots of places to eat, has an eclectic vibe and there is a train station that takes you into downtown Philly half an hour. Chestnut Hill is also close by and lovely.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 34,369 times
My suggestion: AVOID all towns with a walkable downtown area. Most are tied into SEPTA which attracts scum. And I feel I need a shower any time I ride a SEPTA vehicle.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM

8,975 posts, read 21,064,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankofthehill View Post
My suggestion: AVOID all towns with a walkable downtown area. Most are tied into SEPTA which attracts scum. And I feel I need a shower any time I ride a SEPTA vehicle.

Perhaps your experience is limited to the Norristown and Chester Regional Rail stops whose nearby walkable downtowns admittedly may not offer options with mass appeal.

Otherwise, I believe Regional Rail is seen as an amenity that enhances the experience of living/visiting/working in a walkable suburban downtown and is used by people of all economic classes but especially middle/upper.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 PM

7,248 posts, read 10,499,059 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? This has to be one of the most off-base things I've ever read on this board (not to mention offensive -- I used to ride SEPTA, and I assure you, I'm not "scum").

Many of the Philly area's nicest towns have SEPTA stations -- they are a major asset in terms of mobility. Some of SEPTA's inner-city stations aren't the most pleasant to be in, but the commuter rail tends to be very well maintained and won't require any sort of bathing.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,064,932 times
Quote:
My suggestion: AVOID all towns with a walkable downtown area. Most are tied into SEPTA which attracts scum.
This is the exact opposite of reality. By any chance are you originally from a very rural area?

I would highly recommend living in an area with a SEPTA station in walking distance.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,352,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Every square inch of Pennsylvania is incorporated in some form of another. Coming from a part of the country where County Government often rules the day, I can understand why all this would be daunting for a prospective newcomer. Heck, a lot of lifetime natives don't fully get it.
I grew up there and I barely get it. I lived in Newtown Square (Delaware County) and people were constantly confusing it with "Newtown" (Bucks County). And I always wondered about this one: Why is Lower Providence Township (Montgomery County) north of and not even connected to Upper Providence Township (Delaware County)? OK, so I realize different counties can have duplicate township names, BUT -- Upper Providence has its corresponding "Nether Providence" Township in Delco, but what township is "Lower Providence" (Montco) the "lower" of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia