Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 12:26 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Maybe Tori and Lilly talked with Nicole Miller, who used to have a boutique in the Shops at the Bellevue?
I thought Nicole Miller was still there. And why would that matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:45 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I thought Nicole Miller was still there. And why would that matter?
My bad; she still is.

And Miller's a local too, though her firm is now based in New York.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,490 times
East Market could get a few top luxury brands if the developers sought them.
Citycenter DC, a project with a similar concept, attracted many top brands (hermes, gucci, burberry, etc.) despite the fact that the neighborhood didn't have luxury stores before. DC's luxury district used to be Georgetown (though it did not have many international brands but mostly American ones- much like Walnut).
Plus East Market is close to many of the wealthy neighborhoods (Fitler, Society Hill, Rittenhouse, QV) and in a very (arguably the most) touristic area. With all the projects going on in Market East (and the positive outlook they generate) it should be a much better place 1 or 2 years from now.
Maybe the fact that "The Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia" is going to be across the street isn't the nicest thing. But it shouldn't be a huge problem either as there are cheap stores on Fifth Avenue and Soho in NYC and Rodeo Drive and basically every major shopping district in every city anyway.
I bet even wealthy suburbanites who live around the city would prefer shopping there (if those brands had stores there) than in KOP.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:51 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sktwmg View Post

Maybe the fact that "The Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia" is going to be across the street isn't the nicest thing. But it shouldn't be a huge problem either as there are cheap stores on Fifth Avenue and Soho in NYC and Rodeo Drive and basically every major shopping district in every city anyway.
I bet even wealthy suburbanites who live around the city would prefer shopping there (if those brands had stores there) than in KOP.
Did you see the latest renderings of the "Fashion Outlets of Phila" complex? It includes 3 tower buildings.
It changes the concept of the entire thing, IMO.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Did you see the latest renderings of the "Fashion Outlets of Phila" complex? It includes 3 tower buildings.
It changes the concept of the entire thing, IMO.
Hmmm, you all, I just read that Macy's is closing their store in downtown Pittsburgh. It's in the old Kaufmann dept store bldg.

So who knows what kind of future the Macy's in CC has.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmmm, you all, I just read that Macy's is closing their store in downtown Pittsburgh. It's in the old Kaufmann dept store bldg.

So who knows what kind of future the Macy's in CC has.
I heard from Macys reps that CC Macys is basically tied with KoP as the top grossing Macys in the region, I would be beyond shocked if the CC location closed. There has actually been expansion rumors floating around during the past few years.

Saks also closed their Pittsburgh location a few years ago. Pittsburgh might not have the strongest retail market in general.. I know CC could use more, but the Philly area retail selection is on the caliber of Chicago, Boston, Atlanta and DC metros. Pittsburgh is far behind even for a metro of 2.3 million.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I heard from Macys reps that CC Macys is basically tied with KoP as the top grossing Macys in the region, I would be beyond shocked if the CC location closed. There has actually been expansion rumors floating around during the past few years.

Saks also closed their Pittsburgh location a few years ago. Pittsburgh might not have the strongest retail market in general.. I know CC could use more, but the Philly area retail selection is on the caliber of Chicago, Boston, Atlanta and DC metros. Pittsburgh is far behind even for a metro of 2.3 million.
It saddens me because Pittsburgh had great, home grown, dept stores. I like Pittsburgh. It's a fun place if one is willing to discover it.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:45 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,053 times
Quote:
There's very little retail in downtown Pittsburgh to begin with. Once Macy's closes the only department store will be Burlington Coat Factory. At least Philly has Marshall's, Ross, and Nordstrom Rack in addition to Macy's.

As for Burlington Coat, I don't like them at all. The one at 11th and Market is dirty and it seems like everything is thrown around.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
There's very little retail in downtown Pittsburgh to begin with. Once Macy's closes the only department store will be Burlington Coat Factory. At least Philly has Marshall's, Ross, and Nordstrom Rack in addition to Macy's.

As for Burlington Coat, I don't like them at all. The one at 11th and Market is dirty and it seems like everything is thrown around.
Philly has Barneys too.
Even in the burbs of Pittsburgh, there is one Nordstrom and a handful of Macys. Literally no mid to high end shopping.

Philly area has countless brands and department stores from low end to extreme high end.

I know Philly area is much bigger, but a metro of 2.5M should have more retail opportunities.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:13 PM

386 posts, read 265,978 times
Quote:
Philly has Barneys too.
Even in the burbs of Pittsburgh, there is one Nordstrom and a handful of Macys. Literally no mid to high end shopping.

Philly area has countless brands and department stores from low end to extreme high end.

I know Philly area is much bigger, but a metro of 2.5M should have more retail opportunities.
That's not entirely true, Shadyside has quite a few mid-range stores. You are correct about the extreme high end though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia