Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 01:59 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There are actually two quite good locations, in Center City, for a brand new full service Bloomingdales. Both locations are on a, soon to re-emerge, historic retail street. Market St. Shoppers have been coming to Market to shop for over 100 years. Folks won't be stumbling around to find it.

Center City retail's primary competition is the mega mall in King of Prussia, PA. That fact has been talked about, almost to death, on this thread. There are demographic reasons why it attracts lots of high end stores. That's also been talked about to death.

The city just gave the developer of the replacement for the Gallery mall $$$$$$$ so the city is very aware of the retail landscape and how to support it.
Also don't forget Atlantic Building on South Broad Street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 02:25 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Also don't forget Atlantic Building on South Broad Street!
Didn't someone else post that something else is going in there? Was it Barney's?

Old 07-16-2015, 04:22 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Didn't someone else post that something else is going in there? Was it Barney's?
Theres already a Barneys in Rittenhouse, I doubt they would move from that location since they just re branded from Barneys Coop to a normal Barneys New York.

There are renderings floating around with a Gucci and Burberry, but I think those were just for show. That part of Broad would look nice with some flagship stores though. The wide avenue is attractive.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:37 PM

28 posts, read 28,340 times
There's no high end retail coming to center city anytime soon besides outlets.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:36 AM

Pearl Properties Reportedly Buys Lululemon Building on Walnut Street - Property

Could be potential big developments. I would like to see that pathetic Lululemon building replaced with a shiny high-rise.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:29 AM

A good article about why Center City cannot attract high-end retailers:

Why Center City can?t plug into more than outlets - Philadelphia Business Journal

So everything that we have been discussing about 'why' is correct.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
A good article about why Center City cannot attract high-end retailers:

Why Center City can?t plug into more than outlets - Philadelphia Business Journal

So everything that we have been discussing about 'why' is correct.

KoP is the draw for luxury retailers, but overtime things will slowly change, and like we said though CC is wealthy and growing, that is only one small section of the city.

I still think CC can support a Nordstrom or Bloomingdales.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
KoP is the draw for luxury retailers, but overtime things will slowly change, and like we said though CC is wealthy and growing, that is only one small section of the city.

I still think CC can support a Nordstrom or Bloomingdales.
I thought so too because like what I said in the past, people I know in the Center City area including my clients can afford luxury merchandise.
However lately I have been starting to suspect that we are in the minority.
This article just to confirm that we might be just an anomaly in the sea of people in Philadelphia.

To be honest at this point, I have become a naysayer. There is no point stressing out about it.
Maybe one day, this will become a reality that Philly will be a good shopping destination. But maybe at that time I might not even be in PA.
Meanwhile, I am just going to continue doing my shopping in KoP, NYC and Miami when I am lucky enough to go back there.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
I thought so too because like what I said in the past, people I know in the Center City area including my clients can afford luxury merchandise.
However lately I have been starting to suspect that we are in the minority.
This article just to confirm that we might be just an anomaly in the sea of people in Philadelphia.

To be honest at this point, I have become a naysayer. There is no point stressing out about it.
Maybe one day, this will become a reality that Philly will be a good shopping destination. But maybe at that time I might not even be in PA.
Meanwhile, I am just going to continue doing my shopping in KoP, NYC and Miami when I am lucky enough to go back there.
The other problem with those execs quoted is that none of them probably live in the city. Their attitudes reflect that.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
The other problem with those execs quoted is that none of them probably live in the city. Their attitudes reflect that.
Exactly.
Your theory was actually confirmed in this article that when retailers are looking or a spot in Philly, they thought of KoP. They have no clue about the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia